The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

by Douglas Adams

Series: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (1-5, story)

In this collection of novels, Arthur Dent is introduced to the galaxy at large when he is rescued by an alien friend seconds before Earth's destruction, and embarks on a series of amazing adventures with his new companion.
Recently added byQFogg, SwatiRavi, quavmo, hml03827, bhamiltontx75, brodyj04, private library, Samanilly, xenchu, Arena800
    The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett (bluehooloovo, Morteana)
    bluehooloovo: Absurdity in a pure-fantasy world, rather than a soft-sci-fi world.
    Catch-22 by Joseph Heller (GaryPatella)
    GaryPatella: Although the plots and writing styles are very distinct, it seemed to me like Douglas Adams and Joseph Heller had a similar sense of humour. I think that those who enjoy the humour in Hitchhiker's Guide will also enjoy the humour of Catch-22.
    And Another Thing... by Eoin Colfer (Anonymous user)
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman (bluehooloovo)
    bluehooloovo: Neil Gaiman wrote the introduction to this omnibus, and I think that most Adams fans will find a kindred spirit in Gaiman and enjoy his books.
    Starfighters of Adumar by Aaron Allston (bluehooloovo)
    bluehooloovo: Humor in space! They're practically soul-mates, though Starfighters is a Star Wars book, with all that entails. But Aaron Allston really brings the funny, though it's a different kind of funny than most of Adams's.

English (149)  Dutch (1)  Slovak (1)  Finnish (1)  German (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (154)
I made the mistake of reading all five books one after the other. Near the end of the third book it started feeling like a chore (too many things that don't make sense in language that's trying a bit too hard to be clever). My reaction proved to be too soon, though, cause I straight up fell in love with the mundanity of the fourth book. The fifth one felt it had a lot going on, and I was worried a few chapters near the end cause too many subplots were happening simultaneously, and then bam!, it just... ends. So bleak. So sad. I need to read Eoin Colfer's reversal book. For Zark's sake. ( )
  kahell | May 12, 2022 |
This is one of those books that I can't believe I've waited soo long to read. Honestly, it's a bit of a travesty that I waited nearly 27 years of my life to get around to reading this. I made the fortunate decision to listen to the audiobook version narrated by Douglas Adams himself and I was not disappointed. He perfectly captured the essence of his work with his fast paced, British, odd humored narration. Perfection. The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy is the first of its series and hilariously recounts the adventures of Arthur (a human earthling) and Ford (an experienced alien hitchhiker) as they try to muddle their way around the galaxies. Ridiculousness abounds. Excellent, tongue in cheek book and I can't wait to read the next in the series. ( )
  ecataldi | Mar 25, 2022 |
One of the few books which started life as a radio broadcast in beginning 8 March 1978

I remember hearing the 2nd or 3rd episode back then on radio 4 and being confused as it was different to anything-else at the time.

My memory is hazy, but comparing the two, I preferred the radio version to the first book. Still very funny though. I thought Marvin in the TV version was a real let down. ( )
  NickDuberley | Mar 5, 2022 |
***after finishing the audiobook on zat. 15 mei 2021***
I adore the narrator Stephen Fry. So that was cool.

The thing is the story is ridiculous. Like it had everything in it I normally dislike but also everything I love and it still ended up working for me.

But I will say I did not realize just how dark the robot was. Dude. Also the nice were horrifying and I feel fully vindicated in not liking them.

***Before reading***
I'm reading this while also listening to the first book narrated by Stephen Fry. The reason is a bit dumb? This is a bind-up and only the first one counts for my challenge
  Jonesy_now | Sep 24, 2021 |
The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide: Five Complete Novels and One Story (Literary Classics - Gramercy Books) by Douglas Adams (2005)
  arosoff | Jul 10, 2021 |

Adams, Douglasprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gaiman, NeilForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Introduction: A GUIDE TO THE GUIDE
The history of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is now so complicated that every time I tell it I contradict myself, and whenever I do get it right I'm misquoted.
The house stood on a slight rise just on the edge of the village. It stood on its own and looked out over a broad spread of West Country farmland. Not a remarkable house by any means—it was about thirty years old, squattish, squarish, made of brick, and had four windows set in the front of a size and proportion which more or less exactly failed to please the eye.
Don't panic.
"You'd better be prepared for the jump into hyperspace. It's unpleasantly like being drunk."

"What's so unpleasant about being drunk?"

"You ask a glass of water."
"Well," said Ford, "if we're lucky it's just the Vogons come to throw us into space."

"And if we're unlucky?"

"If we're unlucky," said Ford grimly, "the captain might be serious in his threat that he's going to read us some of his poetry first."
Resistance is useless! (Vogon soldier shouting)
Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly hugely mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space.
Includes Collected Books 1-5, Plus a bonus story Young Zaphod Plays it Safe.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,590,604 books! | Top bar: Always visible