The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the…

The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (edition 2002)

by Douglas Adams (Author), Neil Gaiman (Introduction)

In this collection of novels, Arthur Dent is introduced to the galaxy at large when he is rescued by an alien friend seconds before Earth's destruction, and embarks on a series of amazing adventures with his new companion.
Member:revmattmonroe
Title:The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Authors:Douglas Adams (Author)
Other authors:Neil Gaiman (Introduction)
Info:Del Rey (2002), 832 pages

The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett (bluehooloovo, Morteana)
    bluehooloovo: Absurdity in a pure-fantasy world, rather than a soft-sci-fi world.
    And Another Thing... by Eoin Colfer (Anonymous user)
    Starfighters of Adumar by Aaron Allston (bluehooloovo)
    bluehooloovo: Humor in space! They're practically soul-mates, though Starfighters is a Star Wars book, with all that entails. But Aaron Allston really brings the funny, though it's a different kind of funny than most of Adams's.
    Catch-22 by Joseph Heller (GaryPatella)
    GaryPatella: Although the plots and writing styles are very distinct, it seemed to me like Douglas Adams and Joseph Heller had a similar sense of humour. I think that those who enjoy the humour in Hitchhiker's Guide will also enjoy the humour of Catch-22.
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman (bluehooloovo)
    bluehooloovo: Neil Gaiman wrote the introduction to this omnibus, and I think that most Adams fans will find a kindred spirit in Gaiman and enjoy his books.

English (143)  Dutch (1)  Slovak (1)  Finnish (1)  German (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (148)
Hitchhiker to the galaxy 7/5/16-7/7/16 5*stars*
review: Never mind your house getting tear down, the earth is going to blow up. A fun and short read. As I read this, I remember scenes from the movie I watch a long time ago. Must of been four or five.

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe 4/18/17-5/7/17 4*stars*
review: Not much of a plot. Douglas Adams relies on luck and humor along in his writing, which has little changes of making worth the read. ( )
  AnnaBookcritter | Sep 15, 2020 |
Hitchhiker to the galaxy 7/5/16-7/7/16 5*stars*

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe 4/18/17-5/7/17 4*stars*
  AnnaBookcritter | Sep 15, 2020 |
Amazing wit, classic, hilarious. the movie is a primer, little more. ( )
  AmazingBaka | Sep 3, 2020 |
A really enjoyable read. I always thought this book was the Hitchhikers Guide, but in fact that book features in the story. I loved the concept of The Restaurant at the End of The Universe.... ( )
  danielibrary | Aug 26, 2020 |
THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY:

Few science fiction novels remain so hysterically popular, ridiculously entertaining and deeply philosophical in the most unexpected ways than Douglas Adams' classic The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Blending unprecedented (and by now mainstream) science fiction concepts with a unique style of humor, this brief adventure is just a scratch on the surface of the adventure Adams has put his characters on. From a destroyed Earth to the Babel fish; from a floating whale to the answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, The Universe, and Everything, the first book in the five-part trilogy is not only fast-paced and funny, but it's also filled with surprisingly philosophical content.

The overall plot feels thin and pointless, probably because it's just the first part of a bigger arch, but the witty dialogue and the loveable characters totally make up for it. Arthur Dent is likely the most typically British character in all of science fiction. His almost nonchalant reactions to all the amazing discoveries he makes coupled with his undying thirst for tea make him a stereotypical British working-class male. On the other hand, we have characters such as Ford Prefect and Zaphod Beeblebrox, perfectly sane aliens who give the story more color and life. One of the more memorable supporting characters is Marvin the Paranoid Android, whose cynical and depressing view of the Universe is made all the stronger by me hearing him in the form of the late Alan Rickman's voice (Marvin was voiced by Rickman in the Hollywood film adaptation of the novel). Add in a plethora of minor characters and ridiculous names and details, and you have yourself some of the greatest and cleverest sci-fi comedy ever written.

The action is mixed with hilarious entries from the titular Guide, explaining several concepts and detailing places and characters within Adams's seemingly infinite universe. The history lessons slow things down a bit, and may put some readers off, but they also help flesh out Adams' world and vision. It's part of the experience feeling like a member of the crew on the Heart of Gold, reading entries in the Guide and drinking tea.

Yup, Hitchhiker's Guide is still a solid classic and a piece of sci-fi history one cannot ignore. Its humor doesn't suit everyone, but it has a surprising depth that will keep readers scratching their heads in search of the Ultimate Question to the Ultimate Answer.

THE RESTAURANT AT THE END OF THE UNIVERSE:

The second part of the original 'Hitchhiker's' radio play and the second novel in the five-part trilogy, 'The Restaurant at the End of the Universe' picks off where the first book finished. We follow the crew onboard the Heart of Gold through more misadventures as they travel randomly across time and space. If the first novel could be described as Arthur's story, then this one belongs to Zaphod. The first half of the novel mostly focuses on his solo adventure and gives us an explanation of his actions in the first book and his ultimate goal going forward. Meanwhile, it feels like the rest of the crew are secondary characters in their own story. This is particularly true for Trillian, who still just hangs around doing nothing. Marvin gets some more juicy dialogue and a bigger part in the story, however, so that evens things out a little.

For the plot itself, it's pretty much the same hilarious and reckless sci-fi comedy we know and love form the first novel. The first half puts a bigger emphasis on tempo and danger, the second on philosophical pondering. While Adams continues his light-hearted and humorous tone, the story itself contains less whimsical elements than before and he doesn't cut in as much backstory and entries from the Guide as before. The eponymous Restaurant appears briefly in the middle of the book, and it's, unfortunately, the least interesting part of the entire story.

The final quarter of the book feels like a completely different adventure, that doesn't really fit into the events of this story. It does return to the central question of the Ultimate Question and the ruler of the Universe, however, so it's not completely wasted.

A promising beginning turned to a minor disappointment for me, but I am interested in finding out what happens next. On to book three!
  MrScallops | Apr 24, 2020 |

Adams, Douglasprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gaiman, NeilForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The history of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is now so complicated that every time I tell it I contradict myself, and whenever I do get it right I'm misquoted.
Don't panic.
"You'd better be prepared for the jump into hyperspace. It's unpleasantly like being drunk."

"What's so unpleasant about being drunk?"

"You ask a glass of water."
"Well," said Ford, "if we're lucky it's just the Vogons come to throw us into space."

"And if we're unlucky?"

"If we're unlucky," said Ford grimly, "the captain might be serious in his threat that he's going to read us some of his poetry first."
Resistance is useless! (Vogon soldier shouting)
Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly hugely mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space.
Includes Collected Books 1-5, Plus a bonus story Young Zaphod Plays it Safe.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,804,014 books! | Top bar: Always visible