Ultimate Hitchhikers Guide by Adams Douglas

Ultimate Hitchhikers Guide (edition 1978)

by Adams Douglas

Member:nickelmoonpoet
Title:Ultimate Hitchhikers Guide
Authors:Adams Douglas
Info:Robert Beard Books (1978), Edition: 1st Thus., Hardcover
Tags:read, novel, male, anthology, British, sci-fi

The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide [with bonus story 'Young Zaphod Plays it Safe'] by Douglas Adams

Recently added byLordKyler, BigRefT, Erina39, books_ofa_feather, private library, mmseiple, claire.ashton, WeKi
    The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett (bluehooloovo, Morteana)
    bluehooloovo: Absurdity in a pure-fantasy world, rather than a soft-sci-fi world.
    And Another Thing... by Eoin Colfer (Anonymous user)
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman (bluehooloovo)
    bluehooloovo: Neil Gaiman wrote the introduction to this omnibus, and I think that most Adams fans will find a kindred spirit in Gaiman and enjoy his books.
    Starfighters of Adumar by Aaron Allston (bluehooloovo)
    bluehooloovo: Humor in space! They're practically soul-mates, though Starfighters is a Star Wars book, with all that entails. But Aaron Allston really brings the funny, though it's a different kind of funny than most of Adams's.
    Catch-22 by Joseph Heller (GaryPatella)
    GaryPatella: Although the plots and writing styles are very distinct, it seemed to me like Douglas Adams and Joseph Heller had a similar sense of humour. I think that those who enjoy the humour in Hitchhiker's Guide will also enjoy the humour of Catch-22.

English (135)  Dutch (1)  Slovak (1)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (139)
I lose respect for anyone who doesn't love this book. That said, a person could (should?) easily forget about 40% of it. ( )
  Joanna.Oyzon | Apr 17, 2018 |
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy begins with Arthur Dent, on earth. Dent wakes up to discover that his house is going to be demolished to make a freeway. In order to keep the bulldozers from wrecking his house he sits in the mud in front of his house so that the trucks could destroy his house without destroying him. After hours of waiting there, his odd friend Ford Prefect asks him to join him at a pub to get a drink, and that his house will not be destroyed while he's gone. so he goes and gets a drink with Ford. At the pub, Ford tells Arthur that he isn't really human, he is an alien sent to earth to gather information for a book called "The Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy". He also tell's Arthur that the earth is going to be destroyed by a species called The Vogans to make a hyperspace bypass. Before the earth is destroyed, Ford and Arthur teleport onto the Vogan ship, avoiding destruction. Meanwhile, on the other side of the Galaxy, Zaphod Beeblebrox, the president of the universe, and his friend Trillian ( a human ) are at the Planet Damogran for the launching ceremony for The Heart of Gold, a revolutionary spaceship, that is powered by an Improbability Drive, which allows it to go anywhere in almost no time. Surprisingly, instead of giving a speech like he was supposed to do, Zaphod throws a grenade into the crowd and steals The Heart of Gold with Trillian ( who brings her pet mice with her, ). Meanwhile, The Vogans eventually discover the two stowaways, and force them off their ship into to space, where they begin to die. Luckily, they are saved by Zaphod and Trillian, who pick them up in the hearth of Gold, where the meet the infinity depressed custodian robot, Marvin. Zaphod tells Arthur and Ford that he plans to go to the lost planet Magrathea, that once made planets. While approaching the planet, they trigger a defense mechanism, that fires a rocket at the ship. To escape the missile, they turn on the improbability drive, which drops a vase of flowers, and a whale onto the surface of Magrathea. They fly down to the the planet, and find that it is barren, except for a crater caused by the whale's impact. Zaphod, Trillian, and Ford, go into the tunnels, while Arthur and Marvin wait outside. WHile wating they are visited by a Magrathean, Slartibartfast, who takes them to the center of the planet, where the others are having a meeting with Trillian's mice. The mice explain that earth was created for them by the Magratheans so the mice could find out the question for the ultimate answer (42). The meeting is interrupted by the Vogans, who were tracking Zaphod for the bounty on his head. Ford and his friends stun the Vogans and escape on The Heart of Gold.
I give this book 3 out of 5 stars. I liked it, it was just kind of confusing, and I liked the other books in the series better. I liked the book, it just wasn't as good as the other books that came after it. ( )
  tenisonf.b4 | Jan 8, 2018 |
After being told to read this book so many times I finally caved and I'm glad I did! I wish I would have read it sooner, I love it!

At times the story became slightly confusing and some chapters dragged a bit but overall this book is one of the best and most creative I've read. Its exciting, chaotic, sarcastic and hilarious!

Douglas Addams' use of words and attention to detail is amazing. He created multiple planets, cultures, and brought to life many memorable and likable characters. Following Arthur Dent and his companions on their adventures through space, and experiencing all of their crazy moments in life - from start to finish - has been so much fun! I will definitely be reading this book again. ( )
  Stories_to_live_by | Nov 29, 2017 |
In the 1970s, a BBC radio serial was a surprise hit with a combination of humor and science fiction, eventually this spawned more radio serials, a TV show, even a Hollywood produced film, but also a series of books by creator Douglas Adams. The Ultimate Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy contains the first five novels and a short story written by Adams for fans both old and new, but unfortunately it seems that the novels might be more hype and substance.

The five novels contained in this anthology book are all flawed in various and similar ways, which seem to appear and disappear through the series. As a series of stories that were meant to be rooted in humor and science fiction, only the latter seemed to be constantly topnotch while the humor was a lot of hits-and-misses as in some stories seemed to have them and others didn’t. Another issues was narrative flow in each story or general lack thereof, as the majority of the stories are just a series of things happen before ending while others were narratively solid stories that got the reader looking forward to how it would end only for said ending to just appear out of nowhere leaving the reader cheated. Sadly the best story in the entire book that essentially got all the above flaws correct was the short story about young Zaphod.

Having looked forward to reading this collection of stories, I feel ultimately cheated after finishing the book. Overall I found everything in the book average and okay, but this will not be a book I go back to read again and has put in my mind to search out the original radio series or the old TV series to see if either or both are better than The Ultimate Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy.

The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy (2.5/5)
The Restaurant at the End of the Universe (3.5/5)
Life, the Universe, and Everything (3.5/5)
So Long, and Thanks for all the Fish (2.5/5)
Young Zaphod Plays It Safe (4/5)
Mostly Harmless (2.5/5) ( )
1 vote mattries37315 | May 12, 2017 |
Stories about a man from earth who survives the earth being blown up. Lots of silliness ensues, multiple universes/earths happen, Arthur finds his way back to Earth, just in time to have ALL the earths wiped out of the space/time continuum.

Very silly stuff that I remember making my sides hurt back in college, but to be honest, I just found it stupid this time around. Maybe it is a one time thing? And what a cop out of an ending. All the main characters are on earth when all the earths are erased. Fits with the series profile though. I suspect it also depends on your mood as well. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |

Adams, Douglasprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gaiman, NeilForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The history of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is now so complicated that every time I tell it I contradict myself, and whenever I do get it right I'm misquoted.
Don't panic.
"You'd better be prepared for the jump into hyperspace. It's unpleasantly like being drunk."

"What's so unpleasant about being drunk?"

"You ask a glass of water."
"Well," said Ford, "if we're lucky it's just the Vogons come to throw us into space."

"And if we're unlucky?"

"If we're unlucky," said Ford grimly, "the captain might be serious in his threat that he's going to read us some of his poetry first."
Resistance is useless! (Vogon soldier shouting)
Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly hugely mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space.
Includes Collected Books 1-5, Plus a bonus story Young Zaphod Plays it Safe

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345453743, Paperback)

It's safe to say that The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is one of the funniest science fiction novels ever written. Adams spoofs many core science fiction tropes: space travel, aliens, interstellar war--stripping away all sense of wonder and repainting them as commonplace, even silly.

This omnibus edition begins with The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, in which Arthur Dent is introduced to the galaxy at large when he is rescued by an alien friend seconds before Earth's destruction. Then in The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, Arthur and his new friends travel to the end of time and discover the true reason for Earth's existence. In Life, the Universe, and Everything, the gang goes on a mission to save the entire universe. So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish recounts how Arthur finds true love and "God's Final Message to His Creation." Finally, Mostly Harmless is the story of Arthur's continuing search for home, in which he instead encounters his estranged daughter, who is on her own quest. There's also a bonus short story, "Young Zaphod Plays It Safe," more of a vignette than a full story, which wraps up this completist's package of the Don't Panic chronicles. As the series progresses, its wackier elements diminish, but the satire of human life and foibles is ever present. --Brooks Peck

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:45 -0400)

In this collection of novels, Arthur Dent is introduced to the galaxy at large when he is rescued by an alien friend seconds before Earth's destruction, and embarks on a series of amazing adventures with his new companion.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,834,412 books! | Top bar: Always visible