The Scorch Trials: book 2 in the…

The Scorch Trials: book 2 in the multi-million bestselling Maze Runner… (edition 2011)

by James Dashner (Author)

Series: The Maze Runner (2)

After surviving horrific conditions in the Maze, Thomas is entrapped, along with nineteen other boys, in a scientific experiment designed to observe their responses and gather data believed to be essential for the survival of the human race.
Member:chloefischer_
Title:The Scorch Trials: book 2 in the multi-million bestselling Maze Runner series
Authors:James Dashner (Author)
Info:Chicken House (2011), Edition: 1, 384 pages

Work Information

The Scorch Trials by James Dashner

English (281)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (285)
Wow, how was the movie based on this book at all?!? They are completely different. I enjoyed both for what they are, but I actually think I liked the movie more. Still going to read the last book. I believe I will read it before watching he last movie. Although they are so different I’m not even sure it would matter at this point. It’s not even that just the story is different, the characters personalities are very different.
Anyway, I am still finding these to be very enjoyable audiobooks to listen to. Looking forward to the conclusion. ( )
  LenaR0307 | Nov 10, 2021 |
The sequel to the Maze Runner couldn't have been done better. Introducing new characters and concepts, this story takes the reader on for a wild ride. ( )
  jonathanbrown23 | Nov 5, 2021 |
Having made it through the trials of the Maze, the Gladers expected to find freedom. But what they soon learn is it was just the beginning and there another and potentially more difficult challenge left of them in phase two. To top that off, they're not alone - there's another set of "Gladers" being tested in similar ways. The challenge: make it through the Scorch in two weeks or die. And it's nowhere near as easy as one might think...

I enjoyed this as a nice follow-up to The Maze Runner. It continues some of the same elements, there are some interesting twists and revelations, and it serves as a good set-up for book three. This one moves a bit more slowly at some points, which made it not quite as engaging as the first book, but I still found it quite enjoyable. I'm definitely interested in seeing how this will be adapted to the big screen later this year. ( )
  crtsjffrsn | Aug 27, 2021 |
I started reading this series for the fact the bookclub at school (which I help run) will undoubtedly be talking about this series and seeing the movies, but I've actually given up. Which nearly never happens. We're talking like 0.001%. I've never thrown a book across the room or at a wall. I've finished horrible things, but I have someone lovely who really does talk me out of doing terrible things to my brain.

I made it halfway through book two, and my opinions haven't changed in the slightest. The main characters is hyperbolic, dramatic, and arrogantly selfish at all times. Every single character in one-dimensional. Minho, Newt, Alby, Galley, Teresa, Brenda. Everyone. And they only fill a trope position, and if one of them dies someone shifts into being whoever died, while losing their earlier one-trick-pony-role like it never happened (please see Minho, and Brenda, in book 2).

This is a deeply compelling idea, and I deeply want to know how it ends, but I'm going to give that to movies. Even if the movie is always short of the book; there is almost no way the movie could ever be worse than this. Especially not with the things I've heard of it. So I'll be going there and not doing anymore of these at all. ( )
  wanderlustlover | Aug 21, 2021 |
DNF at 37%

After the first book, I wasn't expecting much. I only decided to try continuing the series cause I thought things might be better with everything that happened at the end of the first book. It isn't, I think it might be worse. I am listening on audiobook again, and I am pretty sure its not a case of a bad narrator as I actually think he is doing a great job. But I can't concentrate on it at all. My mind wanders almost immediately. So I have given up on this book and the series.
  starslight86 | Jul 20, 2021 |

James Dashnerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Deakins, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Wesley, Bryson, Kayla, and Dallin. Best kids ever.
She spoke to him before the world fell apart.
ISBN 0307706591 is for the unabridged audio book of this work. ISBNs 978-0385738750 and 0385738757 are for the hard cover.

Solving the Maze was supposed to be the end.

Thomas was sure that escape from the Maze would mean freedom for him and the Gladers. But WICKED isn’t done yet. Phase Two has just begun. The Scorch.

There are no rules. There is no help. You either make it or you die.

The Gladers have two weeks to cross through the Scorch—the most burned-out section of the world. And WICKED has made sure to adjust the variables and stack the odds against them.

Friendships will be tested. Loyalties will be broken. All bets are off.

There are others now. Their survival depends on the Gladers’ destruction—and they’re determined to survive.
The Trials keep on
Coming in a Maze now a
Part of a city.
(legallypuzzled)

James Dashner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,550,449 books! | Top bar: Always visible