StrengthsFinder 2.0 (2007)

by Tom Rath

To help people uncover their talents, Gallup introduced the first version of its online assessment, StrengthsFinder, in the 2001 management book Now, Discover Your Strengths. The book has spent more than five years on bestseller lists and ignited a global conversation, while StrengthsFinder has helped millions discover their top five talents. In StrengthsFinder 2.0, Gallup unveils the new and improved version of its popular assessment and much more. Loaded with hundreds of strategies for applying your strengths, this new book and accompanying website will change the way you look at yourself-- and the world around you--forever.… (more)
(9)

English (48)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (49)
My brother loves this system and I can definitely see the appeal. However I think Rath could make more arguments in favor of this system than he does. ( )
  OutOfTheBestBooks | Sep 24, 2021 |
This book was super informative. I was gifted this book at a job interview I went on recently and It really helped me learn about myself as well as the people around me. It gave a whole different positive mindset and really elaborated upon tons of different skills.

I would recommend it to anyone college and up! ( )
  Nikki_Sojkowski | Aug 26, 2021 |
This glossary of personality traits builds a language to sell yourself and understand others. It's part of a motivational theory gaining traction in the corporate world: Instead of critiquing workers' faults, build on their natural talents -- and take some of the pain out of the annual employee review.

Fair warning: This book's a Trojan horse for a 20-minute online psychological test. The speed's one way it taps into your gut instincts. The book is a companion piece that interprets the Gallup Organization workplace test. Its taxonomy of traits suggests how how to harness your own strengths or deal with co-workers.

It works surprisingly well. I'm a communications strategist, but my core strengths lie beyond presentation or planning: I’m a good listener and adviser, I can organize information and see connections in data, I'm a quick study of new technology or unfamiliar terrain, I coach team members based on their individual skills, and I keep at an issue till I see results. There's a label for each of these soft skills, and a checklist of ways to capitalize on them.

I'm usually reading fiction and nonfiction simultaneously, and this book make a curious complement to Alice Munro's "Dear Life." Her characters are all at least a bit clueless. They leave things to chance or don't quite grasp their situation. Events tests their self-awareness. A pop quiz might have done them some good.
  rynk | Jul 11, 2021 |
As other reviews have said: great premise, lousy execution. The idea is that our strengths are based on temperament, which does not really change much even with tremendous work, so we should focus on developing our true strengths. (This is, in my opinion, absolutely true.) And the test you take is supposed to tell you what those strengths are. This is where it gets very shaky. The 34 strengths were developed by reviewing apparently immense data from Gallup surveys from successful people, but they really could have used a lot more editing. I found there was a lot of overlap in mine and nothing really to distinguish one particular strength from another similar strength. Also, the book contains the descriptions of all the strengths, but the test code you get with the book will only give you your top five strengths, not your rating in all 34 - to get that you have to buy the super expensive version, apparently. I did find some utility in the development plan suggestions, but mostly they were things I already knew. (The utility is enough to get this 2 stars instead of 1.) On the whole, there are much better temperament sorters that will give you much better insight into your strengths and weaknesses. Such as this one: [b:Please Understand Me II: Temperament, Character, Intelligence|104190|Please Understand Me II Temperament, Character, Intelligence|David Keirsey|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348283521s/104190.jpg|100461] ( )
  amyotheramy | May 11, 2021 |
Assigned to my students.
  sunshine608 | Feb 2, 2021 |
This book is dedicated to the Father of Strengths Psychology, Dr. Donald O. Clifton (1924-2003), from all of us at Gallup who have learned so much from this trailblazing thinker and scientist.

Tom Rath is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,155,614 books! | Top bar: Always visible