Love in the Afternoon (Hathaways, Book 5) by…

Love in the Afternoon (Hathaways, Book 5) (edition 2010)

by Lisa Kleypas

9204014,603 (4.05)36
Member:evareads
Title:Love in the Afternoon (Hathaways, Book 5)
Authors:Lisa Kleypas
Info:St. Martin's Paperbacks (2010), Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Tags:chick-lit, historical

Love in the Afternoon by Lisa Kleypas

Recently added byprivate library, maggiesaw, ridicrach

English (39)  Czech (1)  All languages (40)
Beatrix Hathaway has always loved and adored animals, and has studied them throughout the years of her young life. Because of her passion for animals, she doesn’t have many suitors, or lots of friends, but she prefers animals to people most times. When one of her friends, Prudence, gets a letter from Captain Christopher Phelan, she decides to write to him when her friend finds his musings silly, however Beatrix doesn’t believe that, she reaches out to him and they connect in a way that neither of them expected. However as time progresses, Beatrix finds that she is falling in love with Christopher, but that he doesn’t know who the author of the letters really is, so she ends them, knowing how furious he would be if he found out it was her, whom he once referred to as belonging in the stables. But before she does this she switches to letters, one way she writes down some of her feelings, and asks him to come and find her. When Christopher comes back from the war, claimed by England a War Hero, he is reclusive, refusing at first to go out into Society, where Prudence is. He meets his match in Beatrix, although she is very different from when he last saw her, she is now beautiful and vibrant, but despite his attraction to her, he is in love with the woman that wrote to him, Prudence, even though he doesn’t know that Beatrix was the one to truly write the letters. But they keep crossing paths, and find a passion that in each others arms.

Love In The Afternoon, although a very good romance, was not my favorite of the series. I was going to wait for this one to be available in paperback in my library, however this came available in audio form, so I decided why not, I like listening to Lisa Kleypas Books audio style, so I did just that, and just loved the narrator of Love In The Afternoon. I found this story to be unique and definitely filled with romance. And even though at the beginning I wanted Beatrix to tell Christopher the truth at first, I wasn’t disappointed when she finally did, it seemed quite perfect, especially his reaction, which I won’t spoil for you, you will just have to read it!! I have always loved Beatrix, she is one of my favorite Hathaways, especially with her special gift toward animals, through the previous books its been quite cute to see her with all of her animals. And I loved getting to know her throughout this one, and Kleypas never disappoints. Love In The Afternoon is filled with witty interactions, passionate fun, and characters that are like a breath of fresh air, this is definitely a 5 in my book!! ( )
  addictofromance | Mar 17, 2019 |
Love in the Afternoon
4 Stars

Wonderful beginning but sort of fizzles once the "I Love You's" come along.

The opening sequence with the exchange of letters between Beatrix and Christopher is original and refreshing, and their reunion and subsequent revelations had me tearing up on more than one occasion.

The characterization is simply excellent. Beatrix is a unique and adorable heroine with a determination and strength of will that set her apart. Throughout the series her hilarious interactions with various animals are exceptionally engaging and her scenes with Albert are no exception. Christopher's evolution from a spoiled and shallow jerk into an intense and sensitive hero is seamless and the descriptions of his PTSD and his reactions to the episodes are heart-wrenching. The fact that remnants of his initial character remain when he is first reunited with Beatrix adds a realistic element to his transition (at this point, he infuriated me and I was convinced the Bea was better off without him).

The relationship between Christopher and Beatrix is intensely emotional and deeply passionate. The one aspect that disappoints, however, is the fact that once they declare themselves, the story has nowhere to go and the mini-conflict tacked on at the end is completely unnecessary and adds little to the romance.

All in all, a satisfying ending to a wonderful series that I can recommend wholeheartedly to lovers of well written romance. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
I was really looking forward to Beatrix's story and I guess perhaps that is why I was a bit disappointed. It was good, and I read it all up till about the last couple chapters and it just didn't give me the "want" to read it.. so it sat there.. I did skim the last to see if it got better but I don't think I missed much. ( )
  MyaB | Apr 25, 2018 |
Oh, Beatrix. Be still my heart.

The description reads: "Captain Christopher Phelan is a handsome, daring soldier who plans to marry Beatrix's friend, the vivacious flirt Prudence Mercer, when he returns from fighting abroad. But, as he explains in his letters to Pru, life on the battlefield has darkened his soul—and it's becoming clear that Christopher won't come back as the same man. When Beatrix learns of Pru's disappointment, she decides to help by concocting Pru's letters to Christopher for her. Soon the correspondence between Beatrix and Christopher develops into something fulfilling and deep... and when Christopher comes home, he's determined to claim the woman he loves. What began as Beatrix's innocent deception has resulted in the agony of unfulfilled love—and a passion that can't be denied."

That's not entirely true - it says Beatrix starts writing to Christopher because Pru is disappointed by the changes in him. In actuality, Christopher writes to Pru about a stray dog he's befriended on the battlefield who keeps trying to bite people and is having behavior problems. Beatrix, being a positive prodigy with animals, urges Pru to write him back with some advice on how to help the poor dog. Pru - who is about as deep as a puddle - finds Christopher's talk of the war boring and refuses to write for him, and tells Beatrix to write to him herself if she cares so much. So starts a rather Cyrano de Bergerac storyline where Beatrix writes to Christopher as "Pru," and Christopher falls more in love with "Pru" through their letters to each other - when he admits that before he was shallow and their attraction superficial.

Of course Christopher at one point in their past said some rude things about Beatrix (because let's face it, my girl is weird, bringin' hedgehogs to picnics and keeping pet goats and things like that), so they hate each other. And Christopher comes back from war with his bite-y dog, both of them suffering hard from PTSD, and bumps into Beatrix in the woods and says some sharp words to her. Misunderstandings and heartbreak ensue.

I read this book in one sitting because I was completely incapable of putting it down. Love in the Afternoon indeed.

This is the fifth book in a series, and I read it first. Beatrix clearly has a large and lovely family, and I can't wait to read the rest of their stories. That being said, I feel like this read just fine as a stand-alone, and while clearly I found out some of the pairings her siblings made there weren't so many details of their back stories that I feel anything will be "spoiled" by reading the series out of order. I have actually NOT requested the rest of the books from my local library, because they don't carry them! (What?! How do you carry book #5 and not the rest of them?!) Also, I don't see how the other books can possibly compare to Beatrix's story, as she is admittedly the strangest of a very strange family. ( )
  ElleyOtter | Nov 28, 2017 |
Beatrix's friend, Amanda, has received a letter from a soldier but she's not going to answer it. Beatrix who is always bringing home wounded animals reads the letter and insists on replying to the letter and said she would sign Amanda's name. As the correspondence continues Beatrix is falling in love with Christopher who is falling in love with Amanda. The war ends and Christopher returns as a PTS wounded soldier looking for Amanda. He accidently runs into Beatrix and a volatile relationship begins before he realizes that she's the letter writer. ( )
  Kathy89 | Nov 27, 2017 |

Lisa Kleypasprimary authorall editionscalculated
Landor, RosalynReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my brilliant and utterly fabulous friend Eloisa. If I may paraphrase E.B. White: “It is not often that
someone comes along who is a true friend and a good writer. Eloisa is both.”
Love always,
L.K.
It all began with a letter.
Take too much time, and time will take you.
When we started to restore the Ramsay estates, we told ourselves the best thing we could do was make a mistake. It meant we would learn something.

As a lover of animals and nature, Beatrix Hathaway has always been more comfortable outdoors than in the ballroom. Even though she participated in the London season in the past, the classic beauty and free-spirited Beatrix has never been swept away or seriously courted…and she has resigned herself to the fate of never finding love. Has the time come for the most unconventional of the Hathaway sisters to settle for an ordinary man—just to avoid spinsterhood?

Captain Christopher Phelan is a handsome, daring soldier who plans to marry Beatrix’s friend, the vivacious flirt Prudence Mercer, when he returns from fighting abroad. But, as he explains in his letters to Pru, life on the battlefield has darkened his soul—and it’s becoming clear that Christopher won’t come back as the same man. When Beatrix learns of Pru’s disappointment, she decides to help by concocting Pru’s letters to Christopher for her. Soon the correspondence between Beatrix and Christopher develops into something fulfilling and deep…and when Christopher comes home, he’s determined to claim the woman he loves. What began as Beatrix’s innocent deception has resulted in the agony of unfulfilled love—and a passion that can’t be denied…

"As a lover of animals and nature, Beatrix Hathaway has always been more comfortable outdoors than in the ballroom. Even though she has participated in the London season in the past, the classic beauty and free-spirited Beatrix has never been swept away or seriously courted...and she has resigned herself to the fate of never finding love. Has the time come for the most unconventional of the Hathaway sisters to settle for an ordinary man--just to avoid spinsterhood?..."--p. [4] of cover.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,270,150 books! | Top bar: Always visible