A Perfect Proposal by Katie Fforde

A Perfect Proposal

by Katie Fforde

Eagerly visiting New York to escape her suffocating family, young Englishwoman Sophie clashes with her hostess's arrogant grandson, who follows her back to England with an unconventional proposal.

This is a modern Cinderella though it is not billed as such. Sophie is the dismissed "maid" of the family, overlooked because she isn't academic in a family of intellectual snobs. Her good turn lands her in the hands of a "fairy godmother" and there's even the handsome prince (though in true romance book fashion there is a misunderstanding that keeps the two apart for a time). The story was perfectly charming and full of mostly lovely characters. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Jun 2, 2018 |
It's fluff, but fun fluff.
  MarthaJeanne | May 10, 2018 |
While A Perfect Proposal doesn't really break any new ground as far as rich boy/poor girl chick lit themes go, it is still a cute & fun read. The author created believable characters, most of whom are easy to relate to.

Because the author is English, the book is rich in details and make me want to visit England & Cornwall (I now know there is a bit of a difference) even more!

The ending felt a little rushed, I am hoping the author decides to revisit these characters in future works.

twileteyes | Feb 4, 2016 |
Sophie is a young, caring woman in a family of academics. She is quite practical, and often finds herself taking on jobs that nobody else wants to do. She's persuaded to look after her great uncle Eric for a couple of weeks, which turns out to be far more enjoyable than she expects... and shortly afterwards flies to the USA where she meets the delightful Matilda, an elderly lady with a suspiciously aloof grandson called Luke.

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this book, which I borrowed from a friend. The writing is nicely paced, the main characters eminently believable and likeable. While Sophie's two best friends are rather flat, and her family fairly dull, I did like Uncle Eric, Matilda, and a new friend she makes in Cornwall called Moira. Rather than reading for ten or fifteen minutes at bedtime, I found myself drawn in and enjoying it os much that I kept on reading well past the time when I wanted to be asleep.

Definitely recommended to anyone who likes light women's fiction. Four and a half stars, really. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
Fun light summer read. ( )
  mlake | Apr 28, 2015 |
To my family, all generations, past and present, who all helped with this book.

And to the Romantic Novelists' Association, for being Fabulous at 50 - thank you!
So, remind me, who's this "Evil Uncle Eric" then?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,823,717 books! | Top bar: Always visible