The Kitchen House: A Novel by Kathleen…

The Kitchen House: A Novel (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Kathleen Grissom (Author)

Series: The Kitchen House (1)

"When a white servant girl violates the order of plantation society, she unleashes a tragedy that exposes the worst and best in the people she has come to call her family. Orphaned while onboard a ship from Ireland to America, seven-year-old Lavinia arrives on the steps of a tobacco plantation where she is to live and work with the slaves of the kitchen house. Under the care of Belle, the master's illegitimate daughter, Lavinia becomes deeply bonded to her adopted family, though she is set apart from them by her white skin. Eventually, Lavinia is accepted into the world of the big house, where the master is absent and the mistress battles opium addiction. Lavinia finds herself perilously straddling two very different worlds. When she is forced to make a choice, loyalties are brought into question, dangerous truths are laid bare, and lives are put at risk"--Publisher's description.… (more)
Member:Kcall101
Title:The Kitchen House: A Novel
Authors:Kathleen Grissom (Author)
Info:Atria Books (2010), Edition: Original ed., 384 pages

Work Information

The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom (2010)

The Help by Kathryn Stockett (Blogletter)
    Blogletter: Zowel Het Keukenhuis door Kathleen Grissom als Een keukenmeidenroman door Kathryn Stocket gaan over slavernij in Amerika.
    The Book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill (Anonymous user, vancouverdeb)
    Anonymous user: Both The Kitchen House and the Book of Negroes are about Black Slavery in the South. They are different, but provide an eye opening look at Black Slavery.
    Oonagh by Mary Tilberg (Iudita)
    Iudita: Historical fiction about indentured servants.
    The Color Purple by Alice Walker (varwenea)
    The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead (shearon)
    Slaves in the Family by Edward Ball (dara85)
    Cane River by Lalita Tademy (dara85)
    Yellow Crocus by Laila Ibrahim (susiesharp)
    susiesharp: this is also a tale of the south and slavery but this one is not as depressing as The Kitchen House but has a similar feel.
    The Long Song by Andrea Levy (vancouverdeb)
    vancouverdeb: Similar themes: black slaves, a young woman who works within the "White Master's" Plantation house.Slavery,Freedom from slavery; both wonderfully written. Divided loyalities, a fiesty female slave.
    Year the Colored Sisters Came to Town by Jacqueline Guidry (varwenea)
    The Ways of White Folks: Stories by Langston Hughes (varwenea)
    Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe (varwenea)

I couldn't put it down. I could discuss the book here or describe it, but I think that would be a disservice. The story gripped me and I felt as if I was there. It makes me wonder how things are for the next fifty years for those families--right up to the Civil War.

I just read that Kathleen Grissom wrote a sequel--coming out April 5th, 2016!!!!! Yay!!! ( )
  nab6215 | Jan 18, 2022 |
Way too much depressing melodrama, no emotional connection to the characters, Belle's short and unnecessary POV chapters, and characters acting one-dimensionally and unrealistically (seriously, the Captain listens to Mama Mae on everything except the tutor abusing his son? so obvious that's there just to move the plot along). ( )
  hissingpotatoes | Jan 5, 2022 |
This is the first book that I have read where one of the slaves, (indentured servants), was not a descendent of Africa, and I found this component gave the story an entirely different outlook. It’s told in alternating voices of “House Slave”, and then “Belle”. Lavina’s voice is heard in odd numbered chapters. Lavina is brought to the plantation after the death of her parents on a ship coming from Ireland...by the Ship's Captain who owns a tobacco plantation. There is mystery and mayhem at every turn and many surprises. Naive to the politics of color in 19th century Virginia, Lavinia is raised in a black family as she is taught to be part of the house staff on Tall Oaks plantation. As she grows up, the hard lessons of racial discrimination are taught and learned -- never easily. Author, Kathleen Grissom, does an outstanding job of writing Lavinia's conflict without moralizing, though it's also abundantly clear through the tale she tells is what we all know...slavery and discrimination are never, under any circumstances, acceptable. ( )
  Carol420 | Dec 5, 2021 |
Very good. Kept me interested until the end. Looking forward to reading Crow
Mary ( )
  oobiec | Nov 2, 2021 |
Very good. Kept me interested until the end. Looking forward to reading Crow
Mary ( )
  oobiec | Nov 2, 2021 |
Though there are several compelling insights in The Kitchen House, it’s nevertheless a formulaic story. There are graphic shocks, but no surprises.
added by lkernagh | editQuill & Quire, Sara Forsyth (Mar 1, 2010)

Kathleen Grissomprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cassidy, OrlaghNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Turpin, BahniNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

For my beloved parents, Ted and Catherine Doepker, and for my dear mentor, Eleanor Drewry Dolan
[Prologue] There was a strong smell of smoke, and new fear fueled me.
In that spring of 1791 I did not understand that the trauma of loss had taken my memory.

After seven-year-old Lavinia is orphaned on the journey from Ireland to the United States, she begins work in the kitchen house of a tobacco plantation and bonds with the slaves who become her adopted family, but when Lavinia is accepted into the big house, her loyalties are challenged.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,088,126 books! | Top bar: Always visible