Candy Apple Red by Nancy Bush

Candy Apple Red

by Nancy Bush

238None48,580 (3.22)5
Recently added byprivate library, ComicGirl178, kagafan, tbase, JoeyMarbs, stevielyn

I was wadnering the library stacks looking for something new, and saw that there were several books of this series, so I decided to give the first one a try.

There were too many people, I kept getting confused about who was who, although I suppose maybe some were supposed to be red herrings? The murderer was pretty obvious, and I usually don't figure the mystery out sooner than the protagonist.

I thought the main characters motives to keep pursuing the answer were a little fuzzy, and I thought she was a little annoying, a little cliched, even.

I liked it well enough to finish, but I don't know that I'll go back for more in this serious. ( )
  srearley | Nov 22, 2012 |
It took me a little while to get into this book, but once I did it was very good. I really enjoyed it. A goo first novel in the series. ( )
  Cottontail | Dec 17, 2010 |
I would have enjoyed this book more if it had not been for the misleading quotes from other authors on the book jacket. It is an enjoyable read, but does not have the humor or "quirkyness" of a Stephanie Plum adventure. I was expecting something different - laugh out loud humor, quiet giggles...this book does not have them. Please! Stop comparing apples to oranges and let readers find their own enjoyment! ( )
  MmeRose | Dec 13, 2009 |
Jane Kelly is lamenting her lack of focus about a career (she is serving eviction notices for a private investigator's customers) when she asked by an attorney to work for the ex-wife of one of Lake Chinook, Oregon's most wealthy residents, Cotton Reynolds. The ex is the mother of a man who is wanted in the murders of his wife and children and she is convinced that Cotton is hiding their son. She says she has heard that Cotton is ill and is afraid that he will die without letting her see her son. She wants Jane, who has an in with Cotton, to try to get some information from him. Well, that is what she says anyway. Jane soon finds herself in the midst of a mystery that is far deeper than she ever expected.

I enjoyed this book. I admit it took a bit of getting into, but once it hit it's stride I was sold. I really like Jane Kelly, she is witty and has the instincts of a bulldog. She is driven to solve the mystery and find the answers to all the questions that get raised. I liked the supporting cast as well. I really like Binks, the pug she inherits. I think the mystery was very well crafted and kept me wondering. I only had the answer (for sure) only about a page before she did the reveal. I will definitely read the second in the series. ( )
  TheLibraryhag | May 27, 2009 |
Solid mystery with a likable heroine. The cover blurb compares her
to Stephanie Plum, but I wouldn't go that far. There's a levity that
surrounds Stephanie Plum and her world regardless of the body count.
In Jane Kelly's world, things are a bit more real (and sometimes ugly
too). That's not to say there isn't humor, there definitely is, but
its tempered by reality.
I enjoyed this book, but I would have preferred a slightly more
developed romance. Oh well.
And I do have to mention the cover. Did the illustrator even read the
book? Who is the leggy redhead in the slinky red dress supposed to
be? And the gun garter? Jane doesn't look or dress anything like
that and she never once touches a gun. ( )
1 vote pollywannabook | Apr 13, 2009 |
If I had know they were going to find a body at the bottom of Lake Chinook, I never would have gotten myself into the whole mess.

Jane Kelly is through with following men anywhere--until she gets a call about a P.I. job that sounds like the answer to her dwindling bank account. It looks like Jane's going to be following men around again--this time with a tape recorder and a camera.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,493,497 books! | Top bar: Always visible