52 Loaves : one man's relentless pursuit of…

52 Loaves : one man's relentless pursuit of truth, meaning, and a really good crust (edition 2010)

by William Alexander

Cooking & Food. Nonfiction. HTML:

William Alexander is determined to bake the perfect loaf of bread. He tasted it long ago, in a restaurant, and has been trying to reproduce it ever since. Without success. Now, on the theory that practice makes perfect, he sets out to bake peasant bread every week until he gets it right. He bakes his loaf from scratch. And because Alexander is nothing if not thorough, he really means from scratch: growing, harvesting, winnowing, threshing, and milling his own wheat.

An original take on the six-thousand-year-old staple of life, 52 Loaves explores the nature of obsession, the meditative quality of ritual, the futility of trying to re-create something perfect, our deep connection to the earth, and the mysterious instinct that makes all of us respond to the aroma of baking bread.

.… (more)
Member:jjmcgaffey
Title:52 Loaves : one man's relentless pursuit of truth, meaning, and a really good crust
Authors:William Alexander
Info:New York, N.Y. : Algonquin Books of Chapel Hill, 2010.
Collections:Your library, Currently reading, ebooks, Cover done
Tags:!Sale:WE, Cooking, Cooking.Baking, Cooking.Baking.Bread, !HB, !HB.Covid, _import200410, _matched

Work Information

52 Loaves: One Man's Relentless Pursuit of Truth, Meaning, and a Perfect Crust by William Alexander

One man's journey to create the perfect loaf. Not a recipe book but rather an expression of passion for baking. ( )
  ichadwick | Dec 7, 2020 |
I just loved this book full of fun, adventure, knowledge, and - dare I say - spiritual enlightenment. Alexander has a penchant for digging deep and he spares no effort from growing his own wheat to travelling abroad for the perfect loaf. His determination is striking and his sense of humour is communicative. The last chapters are nothing less than amazing as he encounters characters as mesmerizing as the author's awakening in a French monastery that he will change forever. It makes one believe in miracles. ( )
  Cecilturtle | Jul 8, 2020 |
I was first attracted to this book by its title. The idea that a man wants to grow his own wheat, harvest it, grind flour and do everything he can to reproduce an artisanal loaf of bread is intriguing to say the least. As a librarian, I must admit that I was more than a tad put off by the idea that he would begin a backyard wheat field without an ounce of research. He didn't know if he was planting the right kind of wheat for the region in which lived, if it was the right kind for the bread he wanted to make...Really? Hello? Call your local library. Finally on page 41 Mr. Alexander "hopped on to the Internet" and did a LOT of research. Many interesting side trips discuss events such as the pellagra epidemic of the early 1900s which caused hundreds of thousands of deaths until dietary experiments determined that dried yeast could prevent the disease. ( )
  terran | Oct 22, 2018 |
A great book about the quest for perfection, about connection with the past, about obsession, a spiritual journey and, of course, about bread. Funny, educational, and surprisingly moving. ( )
1 vote JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |
I enjoyed this book a lot, perhaps partly because I'm a little bread-obsessed right now, but also because it's entertaining and amusing. It's a little formulaic and predictable, perhaps, but I did learn a thing or two from it. It's well-crafted and witty. ( )
  mattparfitt | Dec 8, 2016 |
I am going to learn to make bread tomorrow. So if you may imagine me with my sleeves rolled up, mixing flour, milk, saleratus, etc., with a deal of grace. I advise you if you don't know how to make the staff of life to learn with dispatch.

--Emily Dickinson
They say bread is life. And I bake bread, bread, bread. And I sweat and shovel this stinkin' dough in and out of this hot hole in the wall, and I should be so happy? Huh, sweetie? --Nicholas Cage in Moonstruck
"Next!"

My heart was pounding so hard at the airport security checkpoint, I was certain the TSA agent would see it thrusting through my jacket.

Cooking & Food. Nonfiction. HTML:

William Alexander is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 201,764,225 books! | Top bar: Always visible