I shall wear midnight by Terry Pratchett

I shall wear midnight (original 2010; edition 2011)

by Terry Pratchett

2,7501122,132 (4.24)1 / 154
Member:Rivendell
Title:I shall wear midnight
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:London : Corgi, 2011.
Tags:Fiction, Fantasy, Children's

I Shall Wear Midnight by Terry Pratchett (2010)

Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett (MyriadBooks, petwoe, ijustgetbored)
    MyriadBooks: For the appearance of Eskarina Smith.
    petwoe: Noteably for the parallels between Tiffany and Eskarina.
    ijustgetbored: For the backstory on Eskarina Smith, and for the parallels between Tiffany and Esk.

English (111)  German (1)  All languages (112)
Now nearly 16 year old, Tiffany has returned to her family's farm and has taken up responsibilities as the community's only witch.
My favourite part about this book, aside from the title which I LOVE, is Tiffany herself. I didn't find the story as funny as the earlier books, perhaps because Tiffany is tired and somewhat overworked and more aware of unpleasantness in the community, but I suspect that also made me care about Tiffany more. ( )
  Herenya | Mar 29, 2016 |
The last of the Tiffany Aching books, I'm very sorry to say. This one is, in the words of Pratchett himself, "more adult" and in some ways it was less fun to read than the others. For one thing, there wasn't enough interaction with the Nac Mac Feegles. But the story was excellent (anyone who loves Pratchett will not be at all surprised by this) and my only real complaint is it's the last one. I could do with more Tiffany Aching! ( )
  Oodles | Feb 16, 2016 |
Fourth in the Discworld sub-series about Tiffany Aching, the teenage witch of the 'Chalk'. Intended for rather older teenagers than the other books about Tiffany, this book starts in rather a disturbing way with an episode about extreme domestic violence.

Tiffany, who mostly does midwifery and other medical work, finds herself becoming unpopular and mistrusted... and learns that, almost in an echo of the first Harry Potter book (and similar to 'Hat full of Sky', second in the series) an evil body-less character wants to possess her.

The nac mac feegle play a part in this book, as always, although they seem rather more violent and less amusing than usual. Tiffany visits Ankh Morpork and meets a character from an earlier Discworld book... and naturally there's a dramatic climax when she has to fight the evil.

Good stuff on the whole, and a satisfying ending to the four Tiffany Aching books, with several ends tied up. However with the early unpleasant part of the book, and several innuendoes throughout, I would not recommend this to anyone under the age of about fourteen. ( )
1 vote SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
This book got messy. Traveling to Ankh-Morpork seemed gratuitous when it tried to tie-in too many of those characters. I consider The Wintersmith to be the best of the Tiffany Aching stories. The villain in this one didn't work for me and I think Pratchett works best when he's using pre-existing material. He can twist that so well to make a point. The fear and calumny that make up this villain are scary enough of their own. I was almost unable to finish the story because of them. There is no way to defeat that. Once something is said, it cannot be unsaid. Once you have created the fear and hatred of someone or some group, it cannot be easily undone.
It was almost too much for me.
  marfita | Jan 8, 2016 |

Matthews, RobinAuthor photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mayer, BillCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stengel, ChristopherTypographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tippie, JoelCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Why was it, Tiffany Aching wondered, that people liked noise so much?
Still, it could have been worse, she told herself as they set off. For example, there could have been snakes on the broomstick.
It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you don't know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you're going. And if you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
Roland was staring at Tiffany so nonplussed he was nearly minused.
The room (at Keepsake Hall) was full of bookcases, and the books on them gleamed. These weren't cheap modern books; these were books bound in leather, and not just leather, but leather from clever cows who had given up their lives for literature after a happy existence in the very best pastures. The books gleamed as Letitia moved around the large room lighting other lamps. She hauled them up toward the ceiling on their long chains, which swung gently as she pulled so that the shine from the books mixed with the gleam from the brasswork until the room seemed to be full of rich, ripe gold.
"A wedding almost straight after a funeral...I can tell you in truth that at such times the universe gets a little closer to us. They are strange times, times of beginnings and endings. Dangerous and powerful. And we feel it even if we don't know what it is These times are not necessarily good, and not necessarily bad. In fact, what they are depends on what we are."

It starts with whispers.

Then someone picks up a stone.

Finally, the fires begin.

When people turn on witches, the innocents suffer. . . .

Tiffany Aching has spent years studying with senior witches, and now she is on her own. As the witch of the Chalk, she performs the bits of witchcraft that aren’t sparkly, aren’t fun, don’t involve any kind of wand, and that people seldom ever hear about: She does the unglamorous work of caring for the needy.

But someone—or something—is igniting fear, inculcating dark thoughts and angry murmurs against witches. Aided by her tiny blue allies, the Wee Free Men, Tiffany must find the source of this unrest and defeat the evil at its root—before it takes her life. Because if Tiffany falls, the whole Chalk falls with her.

Chilling drama combines with laugh-out-loud humor and searing insight as beloved and bestselling author Terry Pratchett tells the high-stakes story of a young witch who stands in the gap between good and evil.

Fifteen-year-old Tiffany Aching, the witch of the Chalk, seeks her place amid a troublesome populace and tries to control the ill-behaved, six-inch-high Wee Free Men who follow her as she faces an ancient evil that agitates against witches.

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,754,745 books! | Top bar: Always visible