I shall wear midnight by Terry Pratchett

I shall wear midnight (original 2010; edition 2011)

by Terry Pratchett

2,8391162,051 (4.25)1 / 156
Member:Rivendell
Title:I shall wear midnight
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:London : Corgi, 2011.
Tags:Fiction, Fantasy, Children's

I Shall Wear Midnight by Terry Pratchett (2010)

Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett (MyriadBooks, petwoe, ijustgetbored)
    MyriadBooks: For the appearance of Eskarina Smith.
    petwoe: Noteably for the parallels between Tiffany and Eskarina.
    ijustgetbored: For the backstory on Eskarina Smith, and for the parallels between Tiffany and Esk.

English (115)  German (1)  English (116)
This was a good ending to the Tiffany Aching story. (Though I hear there is a new one coming? Yay!) Tiffany has the hardest test yet. A witch-finder ghost is after Tiffany, and her witch mentors/friends have come to make sure she succeeds. Or they will kill her? Seems extreme, but that is the Discworld way. Tiffany also has Boy Troubles. Her old flame has a new girl, and the witch-finder is turning even him against everything to do with witches. How will Tiffany survive? By using Pratchett's wit and wordplay and a bit of independent thinking. Plus the Feegles. Of course they will help. A fine conclusion to the Tiffany arc. Though I would not refuse to read a 5th book... ( )
  jlharmon | Nov 3, 2016 |
2011, January 1

Oh, goodness, how I loved this book. [b:Wintersmith|34492|Wintersmith (Discworld, #35)|Terry Pratchett|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1290229201s/34492.jpg|583590] was okay, but this is fabulous. Tiffany's grown up some more, and now she's home on the chalk, where she's coming into her own as the local witch. Against that, there's someone stirring up witch-hunts again, and Roland has a girlfriend who's the daughter of a Duchess. And the Nac Mac Feegle are into everything, shouting Crivens!

Delightful because it gets Tiffany back where she belongs, and because she gets out a bit, enabling Pratchett to introduce her to all sorts of characters, beloved ones from other books, and new ones. And, everything works out very well indeed, in a most satisfying, and clear, sort of way.

This will probably be my favorite Pratchett along with [b:The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents|34534|The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents (Discworld, #28)|Terry Pratchett|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1168566225s/34534.jpg|1179689], and, of course, [b:Good Omens|12067|Good Omens The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch|Terry Pratchett|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1392528568s/12067.jpg|4110990].

Library copy ( )
  Kaethe | Oct 17, 2016 |
Tiffany has grown up. She's all of 16 in this book, and she is now the witch of the Chalk. But something evil this way comes, and it brings a disease of hate with it that infects people's minds and turns them against witches. It's specifically looking for her because she unwittingly woke it.

This is the fourth Tifffany Aching book, but characters from other Discworld stories also make appearances. It might seem a bit confusing to those who aren't familiar with them, but it's a very satisfying tale for us who have frequently visited Ankh-Morpork and have followed the adventures of the witches of Lancre.

If you haven't read Sir Terry's Discworld books, do so. There are none better, in my opinion. They are different because the don't follow the fantasy path Tolkien cleared with sword and sorcery. The Discworld stories follow a straighter course from myths and fairy tales, and so retain the charm and insight that fantasy can provide.

DLMorrese | Oct 14, 2016 |
I adore all the ones with Tiffany Aching.
  newnoz | Aug 6, 2016 |
Now nearly 16 year old, Tiffany has returned to her family's farm and has taken up responsibilities as the community's only witch.
My favourite part about this book, aside from the title which I LOVE, is Tiffany herself. I didn't find the story as funny as the earlier books, perhaps because Tiffany is tired and somewhat overworked and more aware of unpleasantness in the community, but I suspect that also made me care about Tiffany more. ( )
  Herenya | Mar 29, 2016 |

Matthews, RobinAuthor photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mayer, BillCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stengel, ChristopherTypographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tippie, JoelCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Why was it, Tiffany Aching wondered, that people liked noise so much?
Still, it could have been worse, she told herself as they set off. For example, there could have been snakes on the broomstick.
It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you don't know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you're going. And if you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
Roland was staring at Tiffany so nonplussed he was nearly minused.
The room (at Keepsake Hall) was full of bookcases, and the books on them gleamed. These weren't cheap modern books; these were books bound in leather, and not just leather, but leather from clever cows who had given up their lives for literature after a happy existence in the very best pastures. The books gleamed as Letitia moved around the large room lighting other lamps. She hauled them up toward the ceiling on their long chains, which swung gently as she pulled so that the shine from the books mixed with the gleam from the brasswork until the room seemed to be full of rich, ripe gold.
"A wedding almost straight after a funeral...I can tell you in truth that at such times the universe gets a little closer to us. They are strange times, times of beginnings and endings. Dangerous and powerful. And we feel it even if we don't know what it is These times are not necessarily good, and not necessarily bad. In fact, what they are depends on what we are."

It starts with whispers.

Then someone picks up a stone.

Finally, the fires begin.

When people turn on witches, the innocents suffer. . . .

Tiffany Aching has spent years studying with senior witches, and now she is on her own. As the witch of the Chalk, she performs the bits of witchcraft that aren’t sparkly, aren’t fun, don’t involve any kind of wand, and that people seldom ever hear about: She does the unglamorous work of caring for the needy.

But someone—or something—is igniting fear, inculcating dark thoughts and angry murmurs against witches. Aided by her tiny blue allies, the Wee Free Men, Tiffany must find the source of this unrest and defeat the evil at its root—before it takes her life. Because if Tiffany falls, the whole Chalk falls with her.

Chilling drama combines with laugh-out-loud humor and searing insight as beloved and bestselling author Terry Pratchett tells the high-stakes story of a young witch who stands in the gap between good and evil.

Fifteen-year-old Tiffany Aching, the witch of the Chalk, seeks her place amid a troublesome populace and tries to control the ill-behaved, six-inch-high Wee Free Men who follow her as she faces an ancient evil that agitates against witches.

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,629,374 books! | Top bar: Always visible