The Pull of the Moon (1996)

by Elizabeth Berg

Disturbed by the course of her life and marriage, Nan embarks on a backroad odyssey, following the moon and stopping to talk with women, men, her husband through letters, and herself through her diary.

I get most of my books from the library but I'm a little irked that I paid actual money for this one.

Now, I generally enjoy Elizabeth Berg's novels but this one didn't do it for me. It's about a 50 year old woman who walks out on her husband to take a road trip to find herself. Yet, she writes to her husband every day and fills in the gaps with diary entries. I usually quite enjoy epistolary novels but this one didn't make the mark, probably because we only ever hear from Nan, the main character. The enjoyable part of a novel like this is usually the varying viewpoints but we get none of that. Just Nan blathering on about petty grievances and perceived slights. ( )
  Tosta | Jan 5, 2022 |
Even more unbelievable than A Year of Pleasures! ( )
  Chica3000 | Dec 11, 2020 |
I loved this book! I found it to be a quick read. The story seems implausible but the concept is enticing to any middle age woman evaluating her life, a sort of mid life crisis. The author uses humor to describe the woman's journey of self awareness through letters to her husband. I laughed out loud! ( )
  marquis784 | Feb 15, 2020 |
I didnÛªt really give this much of a chance, but I passionately hated the 5 or so pages that I did read.
  AngeH | Jan 2, 2020 |
I loved this book. It was like Elizabeth Berg was in my head. She understands...................wonderful read. ( )
  deb115 | Apr 26, 2018 |
Dear Martin, I know you think I keep that green rock by my bed because I like its color.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 174,221,081 books! | Top bar: Always visible