Durable Goods by Elizabeth Berg

Durable Goods (original 1993; edition 1993)

by Elizabeth Berg

After losing her mother to cancer, Katie finds herself struggling for survival on a southwestern army base, where she dreams of finding Prince Charming and struggles to understand her distant, abusive father.

It was okay. The story was rather painful. ( )
  Chica3000 | Dec 11, 2020 |
What a brilliant little book! I identified with the protagonist, having been brought up in an abusive home, with a mentally sick parent, and wanting to grow up way too much.
It wasn't long enough to really love the characters as much as you could with a longer novel, but that's ok with me.. the pain was still there, and it brought back a lot of the same feelings, and the desire for freedom that permeates a child's life in this situation.
I didn't like the girl's "best friend", she was a spoiled rotten little brat, and she deserved to be taught a lesson in real hardship.
But what this novel lacks in size and length, it more than makes up for in heart. IF it's part of a series, because of the #1 in GR's title, then I may just pick up the next installment. I'd like to know if the father has learned his lesson, as well.. and if there was any more about the older sister. ( )
  stephanie_M | Apr 30, 2020 |
Not one of my favorites by this author. ( )
  deb115 | Apr 26, 2018 |
One of the best books I've read in a long time. Berg's tone is precise and she handles a difficult topic with grace and compassion, never veering toward the maudlin. If someone asked me for an example of fine, clear, deft writing that is never self-conscious, I would hold up this book and wave it around madly. Off to read more Elizabeth Berg. ( )
  SonjaYoerg | Mar 6, 2017 |
While I've enjoyed other Berg books, this didn't do it for me. I confess that a book about a 12-year-old girl (Katie Nash) really isn't my cup of tea. I prefer books about adults. Second, not much happens in this book. It's the first in a series so maybe things pick up later on, but I don't think I'll stick around to find out. ( )
  LeslieHurd | Jan 11, 2017 |

Belongs to Series

For my real father
Well, I have broken the toilet.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,646,506 books! | Top bar: Always visible