Talk Before Sleep (1997)

by Elizabeth Berg

"Until that moment, I hadn't realized how much I'd been needing to meet someone I might be able to say everything to." They met at a party. It was hate at first sight. Ruth was far too beautiful, too flamboyant. Not at all Ann's kind of person. Until a chance encounter in the bathroom led to an alliance of souls. Soon they were sharing hankies during the late showing of "Sophie's Choice," wolfing down sundaes sodden with whipped cream, telling truths of marriage, mortality, and love, secure in a kind of intimacy no man could ever know. Only best friends understand devil's food cake for breakfast when nothing else will do. After years of shared secrets, guilty pleasures, family life and divorce, they face a crisis that redefines the meaning of friendship and unconditional love. From the Paperback edition.… (more)
    Me Before You by Jojo Moyes (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Although Talk Before Sleep focuses on the strong bond between two lifelong friends, rather than the brief but emotionally intense relationship between a hired caregiver and her charge, both moving, character-driven novels confront the issue of mortality head-on, without sentimentality.… (more)

Flawless and beautiful story about the friendship of women. ( )
  Tosta | Jul 5, 2021 |
A beautiful story about friendship between two women and the support given after one is diagnosed with cancer. ( )
  terran | Jan 18, 2021 |
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!

This is women's fiction. I know I read women's fiction from time to time but it has to go beyond women for me to stay interested.

Two women, close friends. One gets cancer. The cancer gets worse. The friend, and several other women friends, converge around the bedside to help the sick one. Ann tells the story of Ruth as Ruth goes through treatments, takes trips, gets a wig, eats ice cream. Through it all we do get a sense of what friendships between women can be like: intimate, funny, admiring, jealous.

I am sure that this story will touch many women's hearts. It didn't get through to mine. ( )
  slojudy | Sep 8, 2020 |
The story of Ruth who is dying of breast cancer, and her friends who are helping her. ( )
  myers3 | Aug 13, 2020 |
Ann is processing the impending death of her friend Ruth's death from breast cancer. A small and mighty circle of woman friends helps Ruth work through the stages associated with the grief of dying. Written in Berg's usual down-home style wherein beauty is observed and life's frailties are examined and over come, some of this rang true, yet other parts of the book seemed forced.

I liked the book though, and could relate to much of it because I lost a female friend to ovarian cancer. Ann's husband and daughter are very patient with her while she spends most of her time helping Ruth. With the exception of a few squabbles, the group of friends hold tight to the mission of working together for the best interests of Ruth. ( )
  Whisper1 | Sep 15, 2016 |
Native American saying-Source unknown
For women with cancer who have found their fire, and for those who are still searching
This morning before I came to Ruth's house, I made yet another casserole for my husband and my daughter.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,322,977 books! | Top bar: Always visible