The Day I Ate Whatever I Wanted and Other…

The Day I Ate Whatever I Wanted and Other Small Acts of Liberation

by Elizabeth Berg

A short story collection that explores women's lives, from every woman's struggle with food and eating, to love and relationships, to life and aging, to small acts of rebellion along the way.
Recently added byfirewhenede, private library, dudes22, jmgibbons, Shannon.Allen, angelaabernathie, Jenn21

Every now and then, right in the middle of an ordinary day, a woman rebels, kicks up her heels, and commits a small act of liberation. What would you do, if you were going to break out and away? Go AWOL from Weight Watchers and spend an entire day eating every single thing you want - and then some? Start a dating service for people over fifty to reclaim the razzle-dazzle in your life - or your marriage? Seek comfort in the face of aging, look for love in the midst of loss, find friendship in the most surprising of places? Imagine that the people in these wonderful stories - who do all of these things and more - are asking you: What would you do, if nobody was looking? ( )
  jepeters333 | Sep 18, 2017 |
Thirteen stories of women’s inner lives, told through the eyes of various characters of varying ages, I could readily identified with all of them in some way. The overweight woman’s tale, from the book’s title, momentarily disillusioned by Weight Watchers, almost blissfully eating her way through the day without regards for the consequences, “...by now I was feeling the shame but also defiance. Like here, I’m carrying the banner for all of you who cut off a little piece wanting a bigger one, who spend a good third of your waking hours feeling bad about your desires,”

I listening to these stories, read aloud by the author on CD, which gave them a cozy girl-talk feel. I then read the book. The descriptions of place, persona, and emotion were done with a light but thorough hand. Her voice is one that draws me in, by way of dialog and setting that is genuine and honest. ( )
  LynneMF | Aug 20, 2017 |
Tamer and less inspiring than I hoped. Not bad, mostly, but I just can't bring myself to recommend cliches & irrelevancies to any of you, my followers.

I was especially pissed about the title story, in which our heroine gets all judgmental on another client of Weight Watchers because she's blind. She's all, 'she can't see herself in the mirror, so why does she care what she looks like?' Um, wtf? Being overweight is something *others* see and despise, and it's unhealthy, and it's uncomfortable. If a woman has only her mirror telling her she's too heavy, she is *not* (yet?) in need of Weight Watchers.

That's typical of the stories. They tend to make big deals out of minor things, giving these supposedly mature women excuses to be catty & melodramatic like they were when they were teens. Get over yourself, girlfriend. Or, when a woman does behave herself, fate conspires to add drama to her life.

It's a quick read. If it's already on your list, don't take it off. I'm sure it's a personal read, meaning different things to different folks. But I was disappointed. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
What a delightful book of TRUTH! This middle-aged, female reader laughed out loud more than once and nodded in agreement too many times to count.

Which story did I love the most? Goodness! I loved the title story, and the sad truth that it is, indeed, not as fulfilling as you think or hope it will be when you throw caution to the wind and eat it all.

I loved the story of the 50 year friendship between two ladies who were still so playful with one another that they had a very difficult conversation using a Ken and Barbie doll.

I loved the closure the woman received when the very man who walked into her dating service turned out to be a long, lost love with no memory of her. The closure...and the new beginning with her own husband.

Every story was a good one, a true one, and I highly recommend this book. ( )
  CarmenMilligan | Jan 18, 2016 |
This book of short stories features women of all ages, economic levels and marital status. Most have come to a crossroads in life where they need to make a decision about their lives and the direction they want the rest of their life to take. Some are very humorous and a few brought me to tears. The woman of the title has decided that she just can't tolerate one more thin person at her Weight Watchers meeting talking about how fat they are. She decides to spend one entire day eating anything and everything she wants starting with a huge box of Duncan donuts. Of course she returns to her meeting the next day (4 pounds heavier) but she sure enjoyed the heck out of the day before! An elderly woman writes a letter to a young woman in order to giver her an apple pie recipe but the letter is full of reminiscences and charming words of wisdom between the ingredients. Best friends and divorcees Ethel and Birdie face a crisis as one of them learns she does not have long to live. A widow decides that she's going to spend some of that money that's just sitting in the bank rather than leaving every penny to her children. She impulsively buys a new wardrobe and hops a plane to Las Vegas. Meeting a charming man in the airport just might make this the vacation she will never forget.

I loved the stories and Berg did an excellent job with the narration. Some of the stories work better than others but on the whole it is a feel-good kind of book
  Ellen_R | Jan 15, 2016 |
To Matthew Sumner Krintzman
and
Katelyn Rose Krintzman
I began at Dunkin' Donuts.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,786,535 books! | Top bar: Always visible