The Day I Ate Whatever I Wanted and Other Small Acts of Liberation

by Elizabeth Berg

Fiction. Literature. Short Stories. HTML:Exhilarating short stories of women breaking free from convention

What would you do, if you were going to break out and away? Go AWOL from Weight Watchers and spend an entire day eating every single thing you wantâ??and then some? Start a dating service for people over fifty to reclaim the razzle-dazzle in your lifeâ??or your marriage? Seek comfort in the face of aging, look for love in the midst of loss, find friendship in the most surprising of places?

Imagine that the people in these wonderful storiesâ??who do all of these things and moreâ??are asking you: What would you do, if nobody
… (more)

The main characters are often in their late 50s or late 60s. The stories are all realistic. Realistic is not my favorite genre and the stories are not edgy, or new territory, or don't peek behind the curtain enough for me. I am unlikely to seek out anything else by her.

The Day I Ate Whatever I Wanted - 2*
Truth or Dare - 4*
How to Make an Apple Pie - 3*
Sin City - 4* ( )
  Corinne2020 | Aug 22, 2021 |
Interesting read of short stories by this author. I'm not sure if it works. She has a unique way of writing what people are thinking which works well over the course of a novel. These short stories feel like disorganized digressive ramblings in need of a story. ( )
  marquis784 | Feb 15, 2020 |
Every now and then, right in the middle of an ordinary day, a woman rebels, kicks up her heels, and commits a small act of liberation. What would you do, if you were going to break out and away? Go AWOL from Weight Watchers and spend an entire day eating every single thing you want - and then some? Start a dating service for people over fifty to reclaim the razzle-dazzle in your life - or your marriage? Seek comfort in the face of aging, look for love in the midst of loss, find friendship in the most surprising of places? Imagine that the people in these wonderful stories - who do all of these things and more - are asking you: What would you do, if nobody was looking? ( )
  jepeters333 | Sep 18, 2017 |
Thirteen stories of women’s inner lives, told through the eyes of various characters of varying ages, I could readily identified with all of them in some way. The overweight woman’s tale, from the book’s title, momentarily disillusioned by Weight Watchers, almost blissfully eating her way through the day without regards for the consequences, “...by now I was feeling the shame but also defiance. Like here, I’m carrying the banner for all of you who cut off a little piece wanting a bigger one, who spend a good third of your waking hours feeling bad about your desires,”

I listening to these stories, read aloud by the author on CD, which gave them a cozy girl-talk feel. I then read the book. The descriptions of place, persona, and emotion were done with a light but thorough hand. Her voice is one that draws me in, by way of dialog and setting that is genuine and honest. ( )
  LynneMF | Aug 20, 2017 |
Tamer and less inspiring than I hoped. Not bad, mostly, but I just can't bring myself to recommend cliches & irrelevancies to any of you, my followers.

I was especially pissed about the title story, in which our heroine gets all judgmental on another client of Weight Watchers because she's blind. She's all, 'she can't see herself in the mirror, so why does she care what she looks like?' Um, wtf? Being overweight is something *others* see and despise, and it's unhealthy, and it's uncomfortable. If a woman has only her mirror telling her she's too heavy, she is *not* (yet?) in need of Weight Watchers.

That's typical of the stories. They tend to make big deals out of minor things, giving these supposedly mature women excuses to be catty & melodramatic like they were when they were teens. Get over yourself, girlfriend. Or, when a woman does behave herself, fate conspires to add drama to her life.

It's a quick read. If it's already on your list, don't take it off. I'm sure it's a personal read, meaning different things to different folks. But I was disappointed. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |

Notable Lists

To Matthew Sumner Krintzman
and
Katelyn Rose Krintzman
I began at Dunkin' Donuts.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Elizabeth Berg's book The Day I Ate Whatever I Wanted was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 206,057,902 books! | Top bar: Always visible