The Radical Disciple: Some Neglected Aspects…

The Radical Disciple: Some Neglected Aspects of Our Calling (edition 2010)

by John Stott (Author)

What is a life of radical discipleship? At root, it means we let Jesus set the agenda of our lives. We aren't selective. We don't pick and choose what is congenial and stay away from what is costly. No. He is Lord of all of life. In the last book by the leading evangelical churchman of the twentieth century, John Stott opens up what it means at root to be a follower of Jesus. He explores eight aspects of Christian discipleship which are too often neglected and yet deserve to be taken seriously. Here, including the last public sermon he ever preached, Stott offers wisdom gained from a lifetime of consistent Christian commitment. In addition, he poignantly reflects on his last years of life and ministry. The message is simple, classic and personal: Jesus is Lord. He calls. We follow.… (more)
Member:KurtzLibrary
Title:The Radical Disciple: Some Neglected Aspects of Our Calling
Authors:John Stott (Author)
Info:IVP Books (2010), Edition: unknown, 144 pages

Work Information

The Radical Disciple: Some Neglected Aspects of Our Calling by John Stott

Enjoyed this look at discipleship. Some of my favorite quotes include:
“Here then is God’s call to a radical discipleship, to a radical nonconformity to the surrounding culture. It is a call to develop a Christian counterculture, a call to engagement without compromise.”
“We have considered four major secular trends that threaten to engulf the Christian community. In the face of these we are all called not to feeble-minded conformity but to radical nonconformity. Over against the challenge of pluralism we are to be a community of truth, standing up for the uniqueness of Jesus Christ. Over against the challenge of materialism, we are to be a community of simplicity and pilgrimage. Over against the challenge of relativism we are to be a community of obedience. Over against the challenge of narcissism, we are to be a community of love. We are not to be like reeds shaken by the wind, bowing down before gusts of public opinion, but as immovable as rocks in a mountain stream.”
“We have followed Peter in the six metaphors which go to make up the portrait he paint of the disciple. Here they are again:
• as newborn babies we are called to growth,
• as living stones to fellowship,
• as holy priests to worship,
• as God’s own people to witness,
• as aliens and strangers to holiness,
• as servants of God to citizenship.
“This is a beautifully comprehensive and balanced portrait. These six duties seem to resolve themselves into three couplets, each of which contains a balance.”
We are called to both individual discipleship and corporate fellowship, … worship and work, … pilgrimage and citizenship.” ( )
  dannywahlquist | May 14, 2013 |
You can't help but humble yourself when approaching a book called the Radical Disciple. Who in the world thinks they are where they should be or want to be in their walk with the Lord? I know I'm not, but by God's grace I know he is molding this cracked pot into the beautiful image of our Lord and Savior Jesus.

Stott reminds us what it means to be a follower of Jesus. We are not fans or mere admirers willing to sit on the sidelines. He leads and we follow. "No one, after putting his hand to the plow and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God."-Luke 9:62

Don't neglect your calling! ( )
  ADSmith | Sep 25, 2011 |
NCLA Review - I wanted to really like this book; I was looking for a “tune up” in the New Year. And there are elements in it which are instructive and helpful. But there are also places in this book where I find I disagree with the author and his views of what it means to be a Christian today. Included in its entirety is a document entitled, “An Evangelical Commitment to Simple Life-Style.” Again, I thought this was an insightful and interesting but it seemed to draw barriers between the “haves” (the Christians as defined by Stott) and “have-nots” (those not), instead of bringing them together. After reading this book, I believe that John Stott needs you to believe his kind of Christianity, which separates one from another instead of bringing them together. I found many of his passages too divisive, too much like the Sadducees of Jesus’ time. On the whole, I found this to be a confining and narrow view of what a disciple of Christ needs to be. I think if anyone were to read this, it would have to be with an educated and discerning eye and would not recommend it to a group except to perhaps to encourage discussion. Rating: 0 —CP
  ncla | May 22, 2011 |
Sadly, according to IVP, this is John Stott's last book.
  MarieFriesen | Sep 29, 2010 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,589,661 books! | Top bar: Always visible