False Scent by Ngaio Marsh

False Scent (1960)

by Ngaio Marsh

Series: Roderick Alleyn (21)

Mary Bellamy, ageing darling of the London stage, holds a 50th birthday party. But someone uses a deadly insect spray on Mary instead of on the azaleas. Superintendent Alleyn has to find out which one of the mourners played the part of murderer.

English (8)  Danish (1)  All languages (9)
An interesting way to commit impromptu murder in this entry of the Alleyn series! I figured out the guilty party fairly early (even before the murder had happened!) though there were critical aspects that I didn't get until Alleyn explained them. ( )
  leslie.98 | Sep 26, 2019 |
One of my favorite Marsh mysteries ( )
  Maya47Bob46 | Sep 6, 2019 |
An interesting and enjoyable read. It's a theatrical setting which Ngaia would have enjoyed writing about. She paints her characters fuller than Agatha Christie. The story flowed well alowing you to test out your theories of how the crime was committed.
  GeoffSC | Jun 7, 2015 |
I was a bit disappointed in this installment of the Alleyn series. It was okay, but I have noticed in general that her later works (this one is dated 1960) start to get a little formulaic and predictable. Less than 50 pages in, I had already correctly identified the how, the motive, the killer, and the twist(s). It was almost like I had read it before, so completely accurate were my assumptions.

I always find it disappointing when I know the solution so early in a book, since what I most enjoy in a murder mystery is second-guessing myself as I am manipulated by the author. False Scent just didn't have that spark of keeping me guessing. It was fun to read and I always like it when Marsh uses the backdrop of the theater world, but there are MUCH better Alleyn mysteries out there. ( )
  sansmerci | May 27, 2014 |
Still post-war theatrical mystery by Ngaio Marsh. Her theatrical mysteries seem to be the most overwrought and tiresome. The actual murder had a little in common with that in Swing, Brother, Swing. ( )
  themulhern | Apr 26, 2014 |

Ngaio Marshprimary authorall editionscalculated
Saxon, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jemima with love
When she died it was as if all the love she had inspired in so many people suddenly blossomed.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,507,674 books! | Top bar: Always visible