One Summer by Rachel Billington

One Summer

by Rachel Billington

161926,187 (5)None
K, an English painter, has returned from Chile to attend the wedding of a girl he once loved to the point of obsession. But the wedding has been postponed. He drives to an hotel - a place he'd visited many years before - opens a bottle of champagne and, with it, a door to the past. When K first saw Claudia fourteen years earlier, he fell instantly and dangerously in love. He was already married and Claudia, a schoolgirl, was twenty-four years younger than him; their love proved to be ultimately destructive and tragic. Now K returns to find Claudia facing a very different future. But the past cannot easily be banished. As they are inexorably drawn towards each other, long-unanswered questions surface.… (more)

A story of 2 people who fell in love and who were separated by 25years in age and after a mysterious tragedy which is revealed at the end 14 years in time.
The story criss crosses over the past and present and you spend a lot of the book wondering what the event was that wrecked both their lives.
By the time you do find out, you are caught up in their story and mainly interested in how it ends for them, to the point that it is almost just an add on piece of info.
Rachel keeps tight control of her story and I felt that the ending was expertly handled, whereas in some books you can feel the author galloping towards the end.
I hit a wall about halfway and debated whether to continue, but am glad I did. ( )
  RuthieD | Sep 17, 2013 |
To Kevin
2004.
The church was small, very English, very charming.
Could revisiting the past ever give answers for the present ?
Age differences have played an important part in my life. Maybe there are boundaries that shouldn't be crossed.
An enormous sadness ,coming out of nowhere ,as if the sky had suddenly descended with all the stars and moon submerged into its darkness , overwhelmed him......but retaining just enough life to ask the unanswerable: why am I here? Where's the meaning? What's the point?
Love makes Gods of us all.
Who can know the heart of another?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,758,288 books! | Top bar: Always visible