The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff

The Replacement (edition 2011)

by Brenna Yovanoff (Author)

Sixteen-year-old Mackie Doyle knows that he replaced a human child when he was just an infant, and when a friend's sister disappears he goes against his family's and town's deliberate denial of the problem to confront the beings that dwell under the town, tampering with human lives.
Member:MIdNiTe_TrAgEdY
Title:The Replacement
Authors:Brenna Yovanoff (Author)
Info:Razorbill (2011), 368 pages

Work Information

The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff

English (136)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  All languages (138)
Just ok tale of a city where every so often the fairies take a child and leave a replacement. Maybe a readalike for fans of Tithe or Wicked Lovely. ( )
  readingjag | Nov 29, 2021 |
This book is beautiful. There's no other way to describe it. And as I currently feel incredibly dull with words, I'll just quote Maggie Stiefvater and say it's "an eerie and beautiful story if ugly things, that should be read aloud after dark, at a whisper."

It's a story about coming to terms with your origins, about building your own story, executed in the most loving, magical way.

"This was love. All my life, I'd been so convinced I was beyond it, outside it, but this was love -had been all along- and now I knew it." ( )
  ssuprnova | Nov 3, 2021 |
I try to express only my most honest opinion in a spoiler-free way. Unfortunately, there is still always a risk of slight spoilers despite my best efforts. If you feel something in my review is a spoiler please let me know. Thank you.

I enjoyed this book. It was a nice twist, coming from the point of view of the 'changeling' or whatever they are. It was nice story with an interesting hero. In the end, it was pretty predictable, but I liked it enough to want to read more by this author. ( )
  starslight86 | Jul 20, 2021 |
I shop by cover; I’m not ashamed to admit it. If the cover art is good I will pause and read the synopsis on the back. A lot of YA’s covers are good, but they’ve started to blend together in their similarity. This one was eerie and gorgeous, and I hoped that the contents would live up to the darkness it promised.

I love a decent romantic subplot with my novels as well, but it seems like most paranormal YA focus on the romance rather than the lovely paranormal bits. It’s all sparkly kind creatures that are transformed by love, and I don’t want to read those anymore. I wanted something dark and hungry, a playground that would give these baddies their due. Yovanoff’s town of Gentry is strange and broken, just as the cover would imply. The main character, Mackie, is a teenage changeling left in the crib of a human family. His father is the local church’s pastor and his mother is a doctor, pillars of their community and so normal it hurts. While both know that he is different and take great pains to accept and adjust their lives to protect him from the things he’s allergic to, they are still detached from him. His real familial link is with his sister, Emma, who is the only one who will talk to Mackie about what he is. To Emma he is her brother first, and little else matters.

Mackie wants nothing more than to be normal. He wants to be able to kiss the prettiest girl in the school despite her steel tongue ring, step onto the hallowed ground of the church to watch his father in his element, to not faint at the sight of blood. If trying to be a normal teenager wasn’t enough of a worry Mackie is sick, and it seems that the only thing that can help him is in the hands of the faeries of Mayhem. To keep them from hurting his sister he promises to aid them and perform with them on stage. The love of the crowd sustains the residents of Mayhem, while Misery lives on their blood.

Mackie and his family aren’t the only ones that know something is strange about Gentry. Babies waste away. Horseshoes decorate doorways. People leave milk and honey out by their backdoors. All this is an unspoken part of life. You don’t bring it up. You pretend everything is good and happy.

Then there is Tate, whose baby sister has died. Tate knows, however, that the thing that died was not her sister and all she wants are answers. Mackie doesn’t want to get involved, but he can’t help but be drawn to Tate’s refusal to ignore the rot underneath Gentry. Next thing he knows Mackie and his friends are on a quest to find Tate’s sister and save the town in the process.

There is nothing beautiful about the faeries of Gentry. Several of them are undead, rotting but alive. This ugliness was one of the things that kept me hooked. I felt the characters could have been fleshed out more but didn’t care when the world was so interesting. The creepy factor alone was worth the read.

Emma and Tate were the two characters I thought felt real. They had the most depth, and I identified with them in ways I couldn’t with Mackie. Tate’s grief is palpable, and the strength that makes up her core is amazing. I like that she doesn’t flinch at fighting back. I would have liked there to be more to Mackie, as he is supposed to be the center of the novel, and yet he fell flat. I didn’t feel that he grew as much as he should have. It seems that Mackie suffers from the same issue I see in a majority of first person YA fiction. The authors don’t flesh these characters out. Perhaps this is so it is easier to slip into them, but I feel that this weakens the story rather than making it accessible.

I’m looking forward to seeing what else Yovanoff comes up with in the future. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that she doesn’t turn this into a series. The Replacement works well on its own, but I think it would make a weak series. Will I read this again? Perhaps. I can see this being something I pick up again if I’m not feeling well and want something I don’t have to invest too much into. ( )
  taimoirai | Jun 25, 2021 |
Review to come... ( )
  ssperson | Apr 3, 2021 |
FOR DAVID (The first one was always going to be for you.)
I don't remember any of the true, important parts, but there's this dream I have.
"Do you believe in fairy tales?"

"No."

"Not even the nice, grown-up kind where you follow all the rules and you work really hard and get a good job and a family and everything is happily ever after?"

Mackie Doyle seems like everyone else in the perfect little town of Gentry, but he is living with a fatal secret - he is a Replacement, left in the crib of a human baby sixteen years ago. Now the creatures under the hill want him back, and Mackie must decide where he really belongs and what he really wants.

A month ago, Mackie might have told them to buzz off. But now, with a budding relationship with tough, wounded, beautiful Tate, Mackie has too much to lose. Will love finally make him worthy of the human world?

Brenna Yovanoff is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,213,864 books! | Top bar: Always visible