If I Loved You, I Would Tell You This:…

If I Loved You, I Would Tell You This: Stories (edition 2010)

by Robin Black

Member:sitasita
Title:If I Loved You, I Would Tell You This: Stories
Authors:Robin Black
Info:Random House (2010), Hardcover, 288 pages

If I Loved You, I Would Tell You This: Stories by Robin Black

I'm not generally a fan of short story collections, but I've been finding myself increasingly drawn to a few with catchy titles. While I did enjoy several of the stories (most notably "Divorced, Beheaded, Survived"), I was frustrated over and over by their abrupt endings. Just as the story was getting good, just as I was really starting to care for the characters and getting interested in where things were going...the story was wrapped up prematurely and it was time to move on to the next. ( )
  Sarahbel | Sep 1, 2017 |
Review coming up! ( )
  irisper012106 | Nov 1, 2015 |
I found these short stories to be excellent, almost without exception. The potential problems I have with short stories are that they don't have enough depth of characters or that there isn't enough plot to be satisfying. But these stories had plenty of both these elements. I've never read any of Robin Black before, and I was looking in my local library for her novel, "Life Drawing", when I found this volume and thought it might be a good way to see if I like her style. I'm certainly going back to the library now to look for her other work. ( )
  oldblack | Aug 18, 2014 |
If I Loved You, I Would Tell You This by Robin Black is a debut collection of ten short stories. The central theme is transition and coping.

The titular story is a prime example of how these stories unfold. Each scene begins with the phrase, "If I loved you, I would tell you this—" as she silently rants about her neighbor. He, unaware of her health problems or her son's problems, builds a tall fence around his property. The fence limits the space in her drive way, making it more difficult to get to her home. That apparently small inconvenience spirals out to many more problems and more bottled up anger.

The simplest solution — one not tried by the main character — would be to talk politely with the neighbor. She, though, is the silent martyr type. She keeps quiet to keep the drama and emotional tension high.

The other stories pull similar tricks. After a couple of them, you'll start to see the patterns involved in writing the stories. At that point, you will either like the collection, or you won't. I found the emotional string pulling tedious at the halfway point. ( )
  pussreboots | Jun 24, 2013 |
I love it when I find a collection of short stories like this. Every one of them felt so real. The characters were well drawn, the details of their lives doled out at just the right pace. There was one story in particular that I didn't want to end. I really wanted to find out what happened next. ( )
  jules72653 | May 30, 2013 |

Robin Blackprimary authorall editionscalculated
Deakins, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Farr, KimberlyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, Ann MarieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Potter, KirstenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Richard

Ten short stories explore human relationships, moments of change, and unspoken truths.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Robin Black's book If I Loved You, I Would Tell You This was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Robin Black is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,770,809 books! | Top bar: Always visible