Schindler's List (1982)

by Thomas Keneally

7,407931,055 (4.17)1 / 338
In the shadow of Auschwitz, a flamboyant German industrialist grew into a living legend to the Jews of Cracow. He was a womaniser, a heavy drinker and a bon viveur, but to them he became a saviour. This is the extraordinary story of Oskar Schindler, who risked his life to protect Jews in Nazi-occupied Poland and who was transformed by the war into a man with a mission, a compassionate angel of mercy.… (more)

English (77)  Spanish (4)  Portuguese (Brazil) (3)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (88)
Oskar Schindler was a German businessman who registered as a Nazi to benefit financially from the work being provided. During his time working with the Germans, Schindler sees how the Jews of the area are being treated and decide he must do something about it. He creates a list of essential employees and as such, they are not to be added to any transport lists. He tells his employees that as long as they work for him, they are safe. Schindler remains true to his word and he saved over 1,200 Jews from death at the hands of the Nazi regime.

Ben Kingsley was the perfect narrator for this story. He has such a classic voice and his diction of the hard German words was on point. I can't imagine anyone else reading this audiobook and making such a terrible topic easy to digest.

For the longest time, I thought Schindler's List was a huge, daunting tome of a book and although I wanted to read it, I was scared. When I downloaded the audiobook and saw that it was only 4 hours long I was a little confused. I realized I was basing my thoughts on the movie and the length of it. All in all, this book was well done and well researched. I am glad that I finally crossed it off my TBR.
(less) ( )
  Micareads | Sep 22, 2022 |
This is the second such book I've read recently - overwhelming lauded and on a necessary and culturally iconic topic - the other was [Born on the Fourth of July]. At the risk of sounding heartless or clueless or just downright stupid, this one also left me quite cold. Now, how could such an emotionally wrought narrative leave me cold, you might ask? Well, the first quibble I have is with the cataloging of the book as a novel. Keneally spends some time in the front papers detailing his extensive research and the herculean effort for historical accuracy. But then he says, he knows nothing else but fiction and novels, so that's what he's going to write. In the end, he misses both marks, failing to infuse the lest bit of creativity in the narrative, as other authors regularly do to great effect - see [[Erik Larson]], and without that creative jolt, the book reads as an extremely dry accounting, devoid of the inherent emotion in the subject. Schindler, for all Keneally's efforts at objectivity, ends up a cipher, neither a savior nor an ogre. Maybe the reviewer before me got it right - incredible story and second-rate writing.

3 bones!!! ( )
1 vote blackdogbooks | Mar 6, 2022 |
I prefer to read a book rather than watching a movie based on that book, because I get to live with the story for a lot longer than if I watch the movie; also, I'm limited only by my imagination in the visualization of the scenes. However, after reading this heartrending, and simultaneously heartening, account of Oskar Schindler's rescue of the jews from certain doom, I feel like watching the film by the master, Steven Spielberg, just to see the way he has brought this magnificent story to screen.
The author has put together a disturbing tale, more so because it's all true, starting from Schindler's ordinary boyhood to his extraordinary transformation into the unlikely protector of humanity, from the accounts of the survivors of the holocaust who owe their lives to the rougish saviour. This book is a fitting tribute to the brilliance and the bravery Herr Direktor! ( )
  aravind_aar | Nov 21, 2021 |
Schindler's List has so much going for it. Its plot, its characters, its setting: All of them are mesmerizing and horrifying and larger-than-life. More than that, though--all of them are actually from life. It's kind of disappointing that Keneally found no need to express all of these characteristics of a truly amazing story in a style that seemed spare and exact at its best, and that at its worst dragged on tiredly and academically.

However, even when the writing was not 5-star quality, the plot and the characters were, and they pushed me to the end quite easily. This is truly an unbelievable story. ( )
  Gadi_Cohen | Sep 22, 2021 |
Incredible story, second-rate writing. ( )
  wildh2o | Jul 10, 2021 |
THE versatile Australian novelist, Thomas Keneally, tells the true story of Schindler's rescue effort in this remarkable book which has the immediacy and the almost unbearable detail of a thousand eyewitnesses who forgot nothing. The story is not only Schindler's. It is the story of Cracow's dying ghetto and the forced labor camp outside of town, at Plaszow.

Keneally, Thomasprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Laing, TimIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
托马斯·基尼利secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
TO THE MEMORY OF OSKAR SCHINDLER,

AND TO LEOPOLD PFEFFERBERG,

WHO BY ZEAL AND PERSISTENCE

CAUSED THIS BOOK TO BE WRITTEN
The Elster - DeFlaun Family
In Poland's deepest autumn, a tall young man in an expensive overcoat, double-breasted dinner jacket beneath it and - in the lapel of the dinner jacket - a large ornamental gold-on-black enamel Hakenkreuz (swastika) emerged from a fashionable apartment building in Straszewskiego Street, on the edge of the ancient center of Cracow, and saw his chauffeur waiting with fuming breath by the open door of an enormous and, even in this blackened world, lustrous Adler limousine. [Prologue]
[Author's Note] In 1980 I visited a luggage store in Beverly Hills, California, and inquired the prices of briefcases.
General Sigmund List's armored divisions, driving north from the Sudetenland, had taken the sweet south Polish jewel of Cracow from both flanks on September 6, 1939.
[Epilogue] Oskar's high season ended now.
This is the novel Schindler's Ark, also published as Schindler's List. It is neither Schindler's List / Piano Solos nor the movie Schindler's List. Despite similar titles, the three media are separate works and should not be combined with each other. Only the novel Schindler's List (Schindler's Ark) should be combined here.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 179,854,552 books! | Top bar: Always visible