American Conspiracies: Lies, Lies, and More…

American Conspiracies: Lies, Lies, and More Dirty Lies that the Government…

by Jesse Ventura, Dick Russell

Audiobook. Perhaps the most important book I have read since 9/11 (along with Naomi Klein's Disaster Capitalism." Passionate and well-researched. Something is rotten in the United $tates of America. ( )
  malrubius | Apr 2, 2013 |
Jesse Ventura unwittingly demonstrates the problem with so many conspiracy theories---they're good at finding holes in the accepted version of events, but then they proceed to string together an even more fallacious and utterly arbitrary version of their own! For instance, how's this for mistaken attribution of causation, exacerbated by temporal correlation: the Feds were keeping tabs on MLK and Malcolm X and had people following them before they were killed, so therefore, they must have been involved in the assassinations! Sorry, but it just doesn't follow. And that's typical of the kind of evidence Ventura musters for his conclusions, which, to be kind, we'll say is circumstantial at best. Even the parts that seem to be better documented and more logically argued are mired in so much obvious nonsense that it's difficult to sort out the grains of truth and get much of value out of this book. Even worse, a lot of it isn't just nonsense...it's dangerous nonsense.

The best chapter was the final one on "big brother"---specifically, the Patriot Act. His analysis that the Bill of Rights has been thrown out the window is, unfortunately, fairly accurate. However, he fails to distinguish between political power---i.e., physical coercion, the power of a gun---and economic "power"---i.e., persuasion, the "power" of the dollar---and therefore reaches the ridiculous conclusion that the government gathering information on us (for unknown, but pretty obvious, reasons) and businesses gathering information on us (in order to better serve us and hopefully sell us more of their product) are equally frightening. Yeah...right.

Possibly the worst chapter is the penultimate one, on the financial crisis of 2008. In it, after arguing for the entire book up to that point that the government is too powerful, bloated, and corrupt, he argues that the solution to the financial crisis is to...give the government MORE power over our economy? It's so crazy, it just might work! Similarly, he argues that we should have state-run healthcare---pointing to, as his shining example, the VA system. "If it's good enough for veterans, it should be good enough for the rest of us," he writes...and yet, in his subsequent book (63 Documents the Government Doesn't Want You to Read), he provides actual documentation of how inefficient and ineffective the VA really is to show what a raw deal the veterans are getting (the document he provides concludes that "the VA is killing veterans slowly through bureaucratic processes," even driving some to suicide...this is what we have to look forward to under Obamacare, folks!). Nice work, Jesse! You can't have it both ways. And, despite his reputation for "telling it like it is," Ventura's political lambasting is pretty one-sided. Also, does anyone else think it's creepy that he's apparently on a first-name basis with Fidel Castro? He apparently never met a dictator he didn't like!...at least not a Communist one. Jesse Ventura gives Independents a bad name...at least he doesn't let either of the major parties think for him, but he doesn't think for himself, either!

Anyway, since his political views seem pretty similar to Ron Paul's, this book at least provides the valuable service of showing what a disaster it would be to have someone like Paul in the White House. And, as promised, it did make me think...so I guess it was better than I expected!

Also, he really needs to bring back the 'stache! ( )
  AshRyan | Dec 3, 2011 |
Factual (???) information about alleged conspiracies perpetrated by our federal government from the assassinations in the 1960's to the "stealing" of Presidential elections, Watergate, and 911. Interesting, and at least parts of it appear credible. Has documentation for all allegations. ( )
  rharrisonblack | Jul 29, 2010 |
This book is so provoking it makes me sick to my stomach. Jesse Ventura as always tells like it is, even these shocking revelations. ( )
  brianm80027 | Apr 16, 2010 |

Jesse Venturaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Russell, Dickmain authorall editionsconfirmed
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth. -Albert Einstein
I had the occasion very recently to be sitting with my nephews, who are of later junior high or first year high school age.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 160239802X, Hardcover)

Jesse Ventura tells it like it is, and this time he tackles our government’s biggest secrets.

In this explosive account of wrongful acts and on-going cover-ups, Jesse Ventura takes a systematic look at the wide gap between what the American government knows and what it reveals to the American people. For too long, we the people have sat by and let politicians and bureaucrats from both parties obfuscate and lie. And according to this former Navy SEAL, former pro wrestler, and former Minnesota governor, the media is complicit in these acts of deception. For too long, the mainstream press has refused to consider alternate possibilities and to ask the tough questions. Here, Ventura looks closely at the theories that have been presented over the years and separates the fact from the fiction.

In Ventura’s eyes, the murder of Abraham Lincoln and the assassinations of the Kennedys and Martin Luther King, all need to be re-examined. Was Watergate presented honestly, or was the CIA involved? Did the Republican Party set out to purposefully steal two elections on behalf of George W. Bush? Has all the evidence been presented about the 9/11 attacks or is there another angle that the media is afraid to explore? And finally, is the collapse of today’s financial order and the bailout plan by the Federal Reserve the widest-reaching conspiracy ever perpetrated?

“If you’re talking outspoken, unconventional, and no-holds-barred, you’re talking Jesse Ventura.”—Larry King

“I wouldn’t mind seeing Ventura run for president (or for senator, or dog-catcher, or whatever). In addition to talking conspiracy, he’s likely to raise all sorts of other trouble.”—Damon W. Root, Reason Magazine

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:16 -0400)

In this explosive account of wrongful acts and on-going cover-ups, Jesse Ventura takes a systematic look at the wide gap between what the American government knows and what it reveals to the American people. Topics discussed range from the murder of Abraham Lincoln and the assassinations of the Kennedys and Martin Luther King to today's bailout plan by the Federal Reserve.… (more)

Skyhorse Publishing

3 editions of this book were published by Skyhorse Publishing.

Editions: 160239802X, 1616082143, 163450545X

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400114667, 140011666X

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,549,856 books! | Top bar: Always visible