Behemoth

by Scott Westerfeld

Other authors: Keith Thompson (Illustrator)

Series: Leviathan (2)

Continues the story of Austrian Prince Alek who, in an alternate 1914 Europe, eludes the Germans by traveling in the Leviathan to Constantinople, where he faces a whole new kind of genetically-engineered warships.

I love the genre of Steampunk and the Leviathan trilogy by Scott Westerfeld is a great Middle Grade/YA example of the genre. I find his take on Steampunk to be creative and engaging. I also love the characters in the story and quickly found myself invested in them and what the story had in store for them. ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
I try to express only my most honest opinion in a spoiler-free way. Unfortunately, there is still always a risk of slight spoilers despite my best efforts. If you feel something in my review is a spoiler please let me know. Thank you.

I can't tell you what this book was about, cause I don't really know myself. There are a lot of smaller events in this book, but nothing major happened. It doesn't help that my mind wandered on occasion either. I almost didn't even read this one because I wasn't super impressed with the first book. But I did, and because there is only one more book and I hate leaving things unfinished like that, I'll probably finish the series. The world in the story is very interesting. Especially the fabricated animals. The friendship dynamic is a bit strange between the two MC's. ( )
  starslight86 | Jul 20, 2021 |
Second book in the Leviathan trilogy, an alternate history masterpiece. The British Darwinists declare war on the German mechanic-clankers. Deryn and Alex are still abaord the Leviathan when it is attacked by a weapon shooting electricity. Marooned in Istanbul, which is being manipulated to support Germany, Deryn helps set the stage foe the Behemoth to shift the tides of the war. As before, clever and innovative fiction. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
teen fiction; steam punk/fantasy. I hadn't read the first book in this series, but the second installment was fine. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
Behemoth might be even better than Leviathan; it is exciting and clever and thrilling and has loads more Clanker and Darwinist creations to marvel over as Mr Westerfield describes them in great detail. As the first book laid out the intricate world inside the ship Leviathan, the second book lays out the intense political atmosphere that exists outside the ship as it takes place mostly in Istanbul, a country rife with struggle and the focus of such superpowers as England and Germany. I was worried about Westerfield's treatment of a foreign culture, but he treats Istanbul with the respect it deserves and does not make the characters that inhabit it merely cookie cutter types to fit into country stereotypes. There's a young woman introduced in this book who is a stellar mechanist and very much woman's lib and she becomes an interesting and surprising character without falling into any of the pitfalls of stereotypically strong women from foreign countries. Overall, Behemoth is a clear step-up in the quality of the series - but only the third book due sometime next year will tell whether the series as a whole is a success. ( )
  sarahlh | Mar 6, 2021 |

Scott Westerfeldprimary authorall editionscalculated
Thompson, KeithIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cumming, AlanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yuen, SammyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Justine: nine years, seventeen novels, and counting
Alek raised his sword.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0670073040, 0143565591

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,322,072 books! | Top bar: Always visible