Madeline and the Gypsies, Reissue by Ludwig…

Madeline and the Gypsies, Reissue (edition 1987)

by Ludwig Bemelmans Author And Illustrator (Author)

Series: Madeline (4)

1,1392015,003 (3.75)3
Pepito, son of the Spanish ambassador, and Madeline, rescued by gypsies during a storm, travel and perform with their wandering friends until they again find Miss Clavel.
Member:TeamBakerLibrary
Title:Madeline and the Gypsies, Reissue
Authors:Ludwig Bemelmans Author And Illustrator (Author)
Info:Viking (1959), 56 pages

Work Information

Madeline and the Gypsies by Ludwig Bemelmans

I love Madeline books. But this Madeline has ended up on the Banned Book list, and I understand why. Although it was originally written in 1956/57, racial bias and stereotyping is alive and well. The way the author describes the “gypsies” is harmful stereotyping. I would have thought that although a classic, the publishing house might have tried to clean things up, or change it to remove parts like sewing the kids in lion pelts to hide them from their teacher (in effect stealing the children) would have been redone, but I cannot find that to be true. So, while I love Madeline, I think this book can stay in the catacombs from which it came. ( )
  LibrarianRyan | Jul 29, 2022 |
Cute book. ( )
  DKnight0918 | Sep 12, 2020 |
Cute, cute, cute. Also sad under the childhood dreams ( )
  Wanda-Gambling | May 9, 2020 |
Madeline gets lost on top of the ferris whell with the Ambassador's son and they are rescued by a Gypsy lady who takes them into her troupe. ( )
  LindaLeeJacobs | Feb 15, 2020 |
Madeline and the Gypsies is about two girls Madeline and Pepito who are forgotten by Miss Clavel on the ferris wheel. The Gypsy Mama takes them in and shows them all there is to see behind the scenes of a gypsy carnival. I love the rhyming in this story and how the girls go on an adventure beyond their wildest dreams. ( )
  emay3 | Apr 18, 2019 |

Belongs to Series

In an old house in Paris that was covered with vines
Lived twelve little girls in two straight lines.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,341,756 books! | Top bar: Always visible