Blameless by Gail Carriger

Blameless

by Gail Carriger

Series: Parasol Protectorate (3), Parasol Universe (7)

All of London's vampires are very much interested in seeing Alexia quite thoroughly dead. While Lord Maccon elects to get progressively more inebriated and Professor Lyall desperately tries to hold the Woolsey werewolf pack together, Alexia flees England for Italy in search of the mysterious Templars. Only they know enough about the preternatural to explain her increasingly inconvenient condition, but they may be worse than the vampires -- and they're armed with pesto.… (more)
Recently added byprivate library, sscudder68, Spoons86, evan.kirshenbaum, Fidelias, lowrescat, ppellini, SirCrash
    Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters (lquilter)
    lquilter: Without knowing, I'd imagine that Gail Carriger had read Elizabeth Peters' Amelia Peabody series (beginning with Crocodile on the Sandbank) before writing Blameless (et seq). Similar era, similarly cranky and forthright spinster protagonist, similar sort of love affair, similar witty dialog and observations. The Amelia Peabody books are, of course, "straight" historical mystery, without the steampunk elements of Carriger's series, but I imagine that Carriger fans who read out-of-genre also will enjoy the Peters' series. Similarly, Peters fans who like SF, steampunk, or vampires/werewolves, might enjoy the Carriger series.… (more)
    Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith (jlynno84)

English (157)  Piratical (2)  French (1)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  All languages (162)
I think that my difficulty with following this series is that after the novelty of the concept wore off, the story at its heart was little more complex than a romance: jilted wife with a veneer of hardness pines for her passionate beast of a husband who is stupidly wrong in his too-quick assumption. The mystery at the heart of the complexity to me, just wasn't very interesting. I love the setting, there is some very clever and amusing wordplay, and I am fond of the characters, but the supernatural elements just don't make that neat dovetail with real life elements at any point. And though I do feel a fondness for these blunt and completely unsubtle characters (and I have made what I feel are very generous allowances for werewolves, by typecast, not being subtle), at best, Connell is a caricature of a man, Alexia of a woman. That rather hurts to see.

I did like it, but I think that it will be a good deal of time before I pick up any future books in this series, if ever. ( )
  slmr4242 | Oct 16, 2019 |
I adore these books. They are fun and entertaining, and the audiobook narrator is delightful. The only thing that I didn't enjoy about this one was that it took almost the entire book to get Lord and Lady Maccon back together, and I love their interplay, but the story was still good despite their separation. ( )
  DGRachel | Jul 11, 2019 |
After the rather abrupt - and unexpected - ending of the previous book, I felt compelled to know how the story progressed, so I broke my own rule about pacing myself with series, and started immediately on volume three. And yes, the Parasol Protectorate is becoming something of an addiction for me...

Full review: http://spaceandsorcery.wordpress.com/2015/01/11/blameless-gail-carriger/ ( )
  SpaceandSorcery | Dec 25, 2018 |
I had trouble choosing a rating for this book.

On the one hand, it's another book from the Parasol Protectorate series, and it in most ways lives up to my anticipation. Alexia remains a delightful heroine; I enjoyed the expansion of the story into the world beyond Great Britain.

On the other, there's a joke about Kosher rules in there which, while appropriate to the setting, is perhaps less than appropriate in a modern book. It is seriously just a tiny, throw-away joke... but it jarred me out of the story. ( )
  akaGingerK | Sep 30, 2018 |
Three and a half stars--full review later. ( )
  whatsmacksaid | Sep 21, 2018 |

Gail Carrigerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gray, EmilyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Panepinto, LaurenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ricci, DonnaCover modelsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book really wouldn't have happened without Kristin, Devi, and Francesca. No, really, you'd be reading a big fat collection of blank pages right now. Thanks, ladies, I owe you all wine and cheese! Lots of cheese. And a million hugs to J. Daniel Sawyer, who was more helpful, more often, than he realized.
"How much longer, Mama, must we tolerate this gross humiliation?"
"Why do they want me dead? I mean aside from the customary reasons."

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,692,727 books! | Top bar: Always visible