Matched by Ally Condie

Matched (edition 2010)

by Ally Condie (Author)

Series: Matched (1)

All her life, Cassia has never had a choice. The Society dictates everything: when and how to play, where to work, where to live, what to eat and wear, when to die, and most importantly to Cassia as she turns 17, whom to marry. When she is Matched with her best friend Xander, things couldn't be more perfect. But why did her neighbor Ky's face show up on her match disk as well?… (more)
Member:mfeddern
Title:Matched
Authors:Ally Condie (Author)
Info:Dutton Books for Young Readers (2010), Edition: First Edition, 384 pages

Matched by Ally Condie

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: Both books feature central heroines living in dystopian worlds that aren't quite what they seem. They each have an engaging romance and a story that digs behind the curtain of the society their characters live in.
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (Ynaffit27, Trojanprincess, frankiejones)
    Trojanprincess: The two worlds seem similar in the way that every aspect of their livee are controlled.
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (kqueue)
    kqueue: Another story about a 'perfect' society that is deeply flawed once you look beneath the surface. Both feature strong heroines who fight against the powers in control, and both have themes of independence and free will.
    Delirium by Lauren Oliver (foggidawn, simonie, jfoster_sf)
    simonie: une autre dystopie
    jfoster_sf: Both are powerful love stories that take place in a future where the government controls their lives. If you love Matched you will love Delirium=)
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (beckylynn)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (MzzArts)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (dizzyweasel)
    dizzyweasel: Dystopian novel about government control and arranged marriages.
    Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (Kostyusha)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (Phantasma)
    Phantasma: Similar imagined world with similar outsider view changing the opinions of some insiders.
    Die Verratenen by Ursula Poznanski (Moongirl)
    Moongirl: Ebenfalls eine Distopie, welche in der Zukunft spielt.
    For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund (coxy132)
    coxy132: Both have dystopian romance between groups that are not supposed to fall in love
    Nine Tomorrows by Isaac Asimov (Phantasma)
    Phantasma: Many of the short stories in this Asimov collection have similar ideas to the ones mentioned in Matched, such as matching a person's abilities and personality to their job and then giving them instruction in only that job. Most of the stories in the Asimov collection are distopian futures based on technology. And, for something originally written in the 50s... still quite plausible.… (more)
    The Selection by Kiera Cass (Aleana, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both of these series have young teens involved in a rigorous selection process to be matched with their future spouse. Political intrigue and the darker side of these dystopian societies set on a future earth add intensity and action.
    Possession by Elana Johnson (Anonymous user)
    Looking Backward, 2000-1887 by Edward Bellamy (Phantasma)
    Phantasma: A Utopian novel with a similar world-view and premise.
    The Host: A Novel by Stephenie Meyer (alesi1)
    alesi1: It looks like a perfect world, but is it really?
    Girl Parts by John M. Cusick (meggyweg)

English (603)  German (6)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (614)
In The Society, officials decide everything - who you love, where you work, when you die. Cassia has always trusted their choices; it's a small price to pay to guarantee a perfect mate, an ideal job, and a long life. So when her best friend appears on her Matching screen, Cassia knows with total certainty that Xander is who she's meant to be with...until she sees another boy's face flash before the screen goes black. As Cassia struggles to learn the truth about her Match, her eyes are opened to the truth of The Society, and she knows she can no longer follow blindly. But The Society is not willing to let her go so easily...
Matched by Ally Condie is the first book in this three-part series. It's perfect for fans of dystopian stories, seeing how even the most seemingly perfect society can be corrupted at the core. Romance is an important part of the book but is not the only focus. While there is some action, it is more about changing perspectives rather than larger-than-life battles. ( )
  Chinesa72 | Jul 28, 2021 |
Another entry in the teen "dys-tropia" genre that follows the special girl.

In The Society, everything is decided for you, and for Cassia, this has never really been a problem until it's her turn to be matched to the boy who is determined to be her future husband. Everything seems to be going well until there's a mishap and another boys face flashes up for a second. Now, things are upended and Cassia is questioning her life.

This was pretty boring but readable so I made it through but just barely. It really read like most other in this type of story, the plot wasn't spectacular, in fact (hold on to your butts) it reads like The Giver and Logan's Run. *edit - I see others have also made this connection too, so, I'm not alone!*

This wasn't original and it was dull - the characters had no dimension and no development. Don't recommend for any seasoned readers but for a classroom library where you don't mind if it goes missing, okay.

**All thoughts and opinions are my own.** ( )
  The_Literary_Jedi | Jul 5, 2021 |
Teen fiction; dystopian romance. As Garcia and Stohl (Beautiful Creatures series) noted in their review, this is like a cross between The Hunger Games and Brave New World. As Cassia comes of age and prepares herself to be matched with her future spouse by the Society, she finds that the world is nowhere near as beautiful and idyllic as the Officials would have everyone believe; the love triangle with Cassia, Xander and Ky is also very much like that of Katniss' choice between Gale and Peeta. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
Excellent book. I felt a combination of not wanting to out it down because I wanted to see where it would go, and wanting to throw it across the room because I HATED the Society and the Officials so much.

Like all dystopian books, you can understand, in a twisted sort of way, how the Society came to be as it is. That doesn't make it easier to read. One thing I appreciated about this book that isn't always told in dystopian novels is what the world outside their sphere is like. Have all the countries in the world turned this way? In Hunger Games, for example, you don't learn anything about the world outside if the Districts. In Scott Westerfeld's Uglies series, we learn a bit about other places. And in this book, we learn the the Society is at war with someone. It's not made to sound like a civil war, so I am assuming there's a bigger world out there that isn't framed like the Society.

I'm assuming this is the first if a series, given the ending, though I haven't visited the author's website to learn more. I will definitely read whatever comes next. ( )
  ssperson | Apr 3, 2021 |
If you're going to read this book, you should read THE GIVER by LOIS LOWRY first. I'm glad I did, because I would think this has an original concept. Actually, Matched is just The Giver but with MORE ROMANCE.
The work assignments, fake utopian society, pills--they're similar.

Both book series are in NPR's Top Young Adult Books in 2012, so it's been shelved in my TBR list for ages.
I find the plot kinda boring and slow-paced, but it's just me coz I'm not a sucker for romance. At the end of the book, I was wondering (thanks the grandpa who encouraged the protagonist to "wonder") how it would feel like if I saw the face of my SO instead of my first crush in my Matching ceremony. Will I keep thinking about him after that?
Final decision: I can leave the series behind and find other books to enjoy. ( )
  DzejnCrvena | Apr 2, 2021 |
This first book in a planned trilogy feels just like that: a setup to a larger story rather than a stand-alone read. Having said that, we'll still be in line for book 2.
added by Katya0133 | editEntertainment Weekly, Sara Vilkomerson (Dec 3, 2010)

[Cassia's] awakening and development are realistically portrayed, and supporting characters like Cassia's parents and her grandfather add depth to the story.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal, Anthony C. Doyle (Dec 1, 2010)

Condie's enthralling and twisty dystopian plot is well served by her intriguing characters and fine writing.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Oct 4, 2010)

Detractors will legitimately cite less-than-subtle morality and similarities to The Giver, but this one's a fierce, unforgettable page-turner in its own right.
added by Katya0133 | editKirkus (Oct 1, 2010)

The stunning clarity and attention to detail in Condie’s Big Brother–like world is a feat.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Courtney Jones (Sep 15, 2010)

Ally Condieprimary authorall editionscalculated
Aide, SamanthaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Evangelista, Theresa M.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vandervoort, IreneDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Laat je niet meer los....
(p 96)

Do not go gentle into that good night.
(p 96)

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage, against the dying of the light.
(p 96)

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.
(p 222)

at first when the rain fell
from the sky so wide and deep
it smelled like sage, my favorite smell
I went up on the plateau to watch it come
to see the gifts it always brought
but this rain changed from blue to black
and left
nothing.
For Scott,
who always believes
Now that I've found the way to fly, which direction should I go into the night? My wings aren't white or feathered; they're green, made of green silk, which shudders in the wind and bends when I move - first in a circle, then in a line, finally in a shape of my own invention.
It is almost uncomfortable, this awareness of him. Each pause, each movement when he places a piece on the black-and-gray board. I want to reach out and grab his hand and hold it to me, right over my heart, right where it aches the most. I don't know if doing that would heal me or make my heart break entirely; but either way this constant hungry waiting would be over.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,428,126 books! | Top bar: Always visible