Salem's Lot by Stephen King

Salem's Lot (original 1975; edition 1977)

by Stephen King

10,245203281 (3.93)181
Member:Robert3167
Title:Salem's Lot
Authors:Stephen King
Info:New English Library (1977), Paperback, 439 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Horror, Vampires

Salem's Lot by Stephen King (1975)

Dracula by Bram Stoker (keremix)
    The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson (clif_hiker)
    Wolves Of The Calla by Stephen King (sturlington, Morteana)
    sturlington: Father Callahan first appears in Salem's Lot and makes an unexpected reappearance in the middle of the Dark Tower series.
    Carmilla: a Vampyre Tale by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu (LKAYC)
    The Night Eternal by Guillermo del Toro (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Two great vampire stories!
    They Thirst by Robert R. McCammon (Scottneumann)
    Vampyrrhic by Simon Clark (pratchettfan)
    pratchettfan: Both books tell a thrilling tale of how vampires take hold of a small city and how a small group tries to stand in their way.
    The Shadow Over Innsmouth [novelette] by H. P. Lovecraft (artturnerjr)
    artturnerjr: Tales of mysterious goings-on in creepy little New England towns by two masters of the horror genre.
    American Vampire Vol. 1 by Scott Snyder (Death_By_Papercut)
    Death_By_Papercut: Stephen King does vampires...quite well!
    Midnight Mass by F. Paul Wilson (Scottneumann)
    Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)

English (195)  French (4)  German (2)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (203)
Another great Stephen King novel. Highly entertaining. ( )
  JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |
This book was slow at first for me. I mean, really slow. I understand the build-up, but usually I have a character or two I am interested in, so it isn't a big deal. It wasn't the case here. For almost a fifth of the book, I was almost bored. I wasn't interested in any of the characters and those more colourful were of the sort you wish they'd die. But then the story switched, its characters became alive, a couple of them were added into the mix and it simply became a great horror story.

I won't compare this classic take on vampires with some other. There is enough of that already and it is better written than I would write. The vampires of 'Salem's Lot are truly evil. They cannot be redeemed.
But as much as one can blame the vampire for the destruction of the small town, the people living there are to be blamed too. Those living in Salem's Lot are broken and imperfect. I wasn't even sorry when some of them died. They are that bad. Below the surface of the small-town normality are festering fears, doubts, suspicions, even hate. Then again, there are a few of those who are outstanding even with their own flaws (Ben, a writer who came back to conquer his fears; Matt, an old teacher who was introduced later in the story; Mark, a very brave boy).

Children in horror stories are among the creepiest things ever with their laughter in the night. Their cruelty is always more hair-raising than anything an adult does. And that is just one of the scary things in this story.
  Aneris | Aug 12, 2016 |
I was expecting so much more from this book. I struggled through half of it and decided that the struggle just wasn't worth it. I have too many other books I would rather read. So this one will be filed under my DNFs. ( )
  pennma05 | Jul 21, 2016 |
First, I am always a King fan, and therefore; always thrilled by his books.

A quiet little town called Jerusalem's Lot. A writer named Ben Mears. A scary old mansion, And a vampire.
Ben returns to his hometown after 30 odd years. He remembers the mansion on the hill that overlooks the town, and thinks that it will inspire a
great story. The townspeople are quiet and keep to themselves. So when things start to go bad, no one really notices. Except for Father Callahan. He knows somethings not right and that people seem to be disappearing.
When it becomes common knowledge that someone has moved into the mansion, Ben and Father Callahan become suspicious.

This is a sit on the edge of your seat story. ( )
  pamkaye | Jul 16, 2016 |
It had me firmly in its clutches on the first page. Not that I would expect any less from S.K. The book did exactly what it was supposed to: it scared the crap out of me! I had nightmares off and on for several days. I feel like I got my money's worth! Just thinking about it gives me the creeps. ( )
  BonitaMartin | Jun 24, 2016 |

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Piatti, CelestinoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wagner, ChristophTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winger, IlseTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Naomi Rachel King

"...promises to keep."
Almost everyone thought the man and the boy were father and son.

The town knew darkness...and the awful, heavy silence of terrifying images grotesquely dancing in and out of the shadows...and stark white faces, huge empty eyes and long gnarled hands that reached out with lustful insistence...and the paralyzing fear of a diabolical corruption and a hideoous peril more dreadful than death. But no one living in Salem's Lot dared talk about the high, sweet, evil laughter of a child...and the sucking sounds... (0-451-12545-2)
Featuring full-color wraparound artwork by David Palumbo and full-color interior paintings printed on a high-quality glossy stock and tipped into the book!

About the Book:

'Salem's Lot is a small New England town with white clapboard houses, tree-lined streets, and solid church steeples. That summer in 'Salem's Lot was a summer of homecoming and return; spring burned out and the land lying dry, crackling underfoot. Late that summer, Ben Mears returned to 'Salem's Lot hoping to cast out his own devils and found instead a new, unspeakable horror.

A stranger had also come to the Lot, a stranger with a secret as old as evil, a secret that would wreak irreparable harm on those he touched and in turn on those they loved.

All would be changed forever—Susan, whose love for Ben could not protect her; Father Callahan, the bad priest who put his eroded faith to one last test; and Mark, a young boy who sees his fantasy world become reality and ironically proves the best equipped to handle the relentless nightmare of 'Salem's Lot.

This is a rare novel, almost hypnotic in its unyielding suspense, which builds to a climax of classic terror. You will not forget the town of 'Salem's Lot nor any of the people who used to live there.

Special Features For This Deluxe Special Edition:

• an introduction by Stephen King
• an afterword by Clive Barker
• many deleted scenes that were cut from the original manuscript
• the short stories "Jerusalem's Lot" and "One for the Road"
• deluxe oversized design (7 inches X 10 inches) featuring two color interior printing as part of the page design
• printed on a heavy interior specialty paper stock that is much thicker than the paper in a normal trade edition
• custom-made slipcase for the Gift Edition, custom-made traycase for the Numbered Artist Edition, and custom-made three-piece traycase for the Deluxe Lettered Artist Edition
• epic wrap-around full-color dust jacket artwork by David Palumbo
• a different full-color dust jacket for the Numbered Artist Edition painted by David Palumbo
• Full-color interior paintings by David Palumbo
• interior artwork will be printed on a heavy glossy stock and tipped into the book
• an original map of the town drawn by Glenn Chadbourne exclusively for this special edition
• signature sheet artwork for all three editions by Glenn Chadbourne
• high-quality endpapers and fine bindings
• an exclusive reproduction of the first reader's letter to point out the Father "Cody" error and several internal memos from Doubleday about changing the pricing after the first edition of the book was already printed
Quiet wooded town.
Darkness draws across the night.
Leaf strewn silent paths.
(SomeGuyInVirginia)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671039741, Mass Market Paperback)

Stephen King's second book, 'Salem's Lot (1975)--about the slow takeover of an insular hamlet called Jerusalem's Lot by a vampire patterned after Bram Stoker's Dracula--has two elements that he also uses to good effect in later novels: a small American town, usually in Maine, where people are disconnected from each other, quietly nursing their potential for evil; and a mixed bag of rational, goodhearted people, including a writer, who band together to fight that evil.

Simply taken as a contemporary vampire novel, 'Salem's Lot is great fun to read, and has been very influential in the horror genre. But it's also a sly piece of social commentary. As King said in 1983, "In 'Salem's Lot, the thing that really scared me was not vampires, but the town in the daytime, the town that was empty, knowing that there were things in closets, that there were people tucked under beds, under the concrete pilings of all those trailers. And all the time I was writing that, the Watergate hearings were pouring out of the TV.... Howard Baker kept asking, 'What I want to know is, what did you know and when did you know it?' That line haunts me, it stays in my mind.... During that time I was thinking about secrets, things that have been hidden and were being dragged out into the light." Sounds quite a bit like the idea behind his 1998 novel of a Maine hamlet haunted by unsightly secrets, Bag of Bones. --Fiona Webster

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:20 -0400)

Stephen King's second novel, Salem's Lot, is the story of a mundane town under siege from the forces of darkness. Considered one of the most terrifying vampire novels ever written, it cunningly probes the shadows of the human heart, and the insular evils of small-town America.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,244,852 books! | Top bar: Always visible