HomeGroupsTalkExplore

Scumble by Ingrid Law

Scumble (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Ingrid Law (Author)

Series: Beaumont Family (2)

Mibs's cousin Ledge is disappointed to discover that his "savvy"--the magical power unique to each member of their family--is to make things fall apart, which endangers his uncle Autry's ranch and reveals the family secret to future reporter Sarah.
Member:ELLSimmons
Title:Scumble
Authors:Ingrid Law (Author)
Info:Puffin Books (2011), Edition: Reprint, 432 pages

Work Information

Scumble by Ingrid Law (2011)

This second book was just as enchanting as the first, Savvy. Wonderful world building. I wish I had a savvy and I'm sure that every child who reads this book wishes the same thing. The author has tapped into the magical realm where children reside before adult life beats wonder out of them. And there's even a lesson. But like the very best writing, the message is woven through the beautifully told story instead of whacking the reader over the head. In this case basically the lesson to be learned is that we shouldn't just let life happen to us but rather we should think through our choices and choose the best/wisest one and then follow through.

I loved Ledger. He was a charming boy. The secondary characters were well done. The savvies were all entertaining. I was glad to see Rocket (best name ever) get control of his savvy and get a girl. I hope Ms. Law is not done with the series. I would love to see Ledger's little sister, Fedora, when she gets her savvy. ( )
  Luziadovalongo | Jul 14, 2022 |
The fantasy novel I chose to read for this course was Scumble by Ingrid Law. This the second book of a three-book series. The first book of the series is Savvy, then Scumble, and lastly, Switch. When beginning my reading of Scumble, it was a little confusing and I would highly recommend reading the books in order of the series. After reading more chapter by chapter, I started to really get into the reading and enjoyed the novel. I thought it was full of imagination. I actually began to read this book to my nannying kid and she loved it. In the novel Scumble, it really took my back to my love for reading. I thought that this book did a fantastic job keeping my attention throughout the entire novel. In the reading comprehension, it was really easy to make the mental pictures in your head to feel and see what was happening. It a ton of descriptive vocabulary words that made the story come to life and even made you think about somethings with curiosity. ( )
  Mlswick | Oct 23, 2020 |
Scumble is the sequel/companion novel to Newbery Honor book Savvy, and is set nine years later. A number of the characters from Savvy make appearances, but the main character and narrator is just-turned-thirteen Ledger Kale, cousin to the Beaumonts.

I enjoyed reading Savvy, so I had high hopes for Scumble. It did not disappoint! Rather, Scumble takes all the good things from Savvy and makes them even better. Characterisation and pacing are tightened up. Distinction between character voices is improved. And we get to see how the various Beaumonts grew up in the nine intervening years.

There definitely seems to be room for more books about these delightful families, and I really hope there will be. ( )
  shadrachanki | Jun 8, 2018 |
I read this a couple of years after reading Savvy. While I do believe that I liked Savvy more, it is undeniable that Scumble is an excellent companion novel. I only now just found out there is an additional third book and I plan to pick it as soon as possible! ( )
  spellbindingstories | May 24, 2018 |
exciting and magical book. ( )
  ChloeLaird | Nov 28, 2016 |

Belongs to Series

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Ingrid Law's book Scumble was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,949,223 books! | Top bar: Always visible