The Camelot Caper (1969)

by Elizabeth Peters

Series: Vicky Bliss (prequel)

Jessica Tregarth went to England to visit her grandfather, an invitation which surprised and pleased her. The only link she had with her dead father's family was an antique ring he had brought with him to America. This would be a chance to learn more about who she is; it would be fun. She's barely off the boat before the chase begins and Jess finds herself playing a deadly game of cat-and-mouse through Cornwall, helped by David Randall, the ingenious author of a series of paperback gothic novels. But even Randall's cleverness may not be enough -- the couple doesn't know what the pursuers want -- and it is not the obvious."… (more)
Recently added byMelinaAnderson71, private library, mml85821, enaid, RobertM999, lisaross, seoncone2681, jpaschal

It was okay. ( )
  Bettesbooks | Feb 17, 2020 |
I usually enjoy reading novels by Elizabeth Peters, but this one left me unimpressed. I didn't like any of the characters one bit. The main character, Jessica, acted like an airhead throughout the story. She was running around England because someone was after her, but she still decided to stop and play tourist. She would get very upset with her rescuer when he tried to stop her from sight-seeing. I found myself wishing she would stay focused for more than 5 minutes. I wasn't impressed by her rescuer any more than I was with her. He was obnoxious and I got tired of him bossing Jessica around. The characters were only slightly more impressive than the plot. I'm not sure I entirely understand what happened in the ending, but everyone seemed happy so I'm going to assume the story did end. I'm not re-reading to make sure, though. There was lots of driving around England. Something about treasure. But, that's about all I got out of the plot. Fortunately, this wasn't the first novel by Elizabeth Peters I have read so I know she can write much better stories and create more interesting characters. ( )
  jguidry | Aug 27, 2017 |
Fun, quick read. ( )
1 vote yonitdm | Jan 18, 2017 |
I read this so many years ago that I can't remember it but the description on Shelfari makes me want to read it again.
  Oodles | Feb 16, 2016 |
A fun book - not much more. I have liked other books by Elizabeth Peters much more than this one. ( )
  TheresaCIncinnati | Aug 17, 2015 |

Elizabeth Petersprimary authorall editionscalculated
Conlin, GraceNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The book was small, a paperback edition, with a cover done in shades of blue.
Her Cousin John was originally published as The Camelot Caper. John Smythe of the Vicky Bliss series makes his first appearance here; hence the inclusion in the Bliss series.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,842,317 books! | Top bar: Always visible