Green Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson

Green Mars (original 1993; edition 1994)

by Kim Stanley Robinson (Author)

4,195411,848 (3.9)127
On Mars, a war of independence is brewing in an effort to end the exploitation of the planet by Earth-based multinational corporations. In a bid to forestall the conflict, Earth sends Art Randolph to negotiate with the revolutionaries.
Member:KPPSlibrary
Title:Green Mars
Authors:Kim Stanley Robinson (Author)
Info:Spectra (1994), 535 pages

Green Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson (1993)

English (38)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (41)
I didn't like this 2nd book in the trilogy as much as the first one ("Red Mars"). I suspect that is partly due to the fact that I read them too close together. However, my main complaint is the same one I made in my review of the previous book - Robinson gives both too much detail and too little simultaneously. We hear Maya's thoughts about things in endless detail and repetition but, just as in "Red Mars", when an important event happens (important both in the big picture and in the personal lives of the main characters) such as the killing of Margaret during the rescue of Sax, there is no follow through. I like the science part of the science fiction but the personal side of the story detracts rather than adds to the book for me.

I guess that I will continue on to the final book but not right away. ( )
  leslie.98 | Jan 30, 2020 |
While just as epic and engrossing at times as the first book of the trilogy ("Red Mars"), I found this one to be a bit more tedious. Maybe its because the frontier aspect of Mars isn't there. Most of the backdrop is the expansion of humans across the martian landscape. It would be like comparing the Lewis and Clark expedition to the history of Seattle. If you enjoy one, the other will probably leave you going "eh".

That said, there are several parts of the story which are engrossing, mostly having to do with the politics that go along with civilization, regardless of which planet (or probably galaxy) its on.

I am looking forward to seeing where Robinson takes things when I get to "Blue Mars". ( )
  grandpahobo | Dec 8, 2019 |
Still very very dry but much more cohesive as a single story than the first book. ( )
  haloedrain | Aug 3, 2019 |
The saga continues. Longevity treatments allow the original (surviving) characters and their descendants to carry on and become instrumental in a movement for Martian independence. Adventure and arguments and major geological events keep it going - next is Blue. (November 05, 2005) ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
This should be Elon Musk's strategy guide to colonizing Mars. It's that detailed, science-based and fascinating. ( )
  jonsweitzerlamme | Nov 28, 2018 |

Kim Stanley Robinsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Carella, MariaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dixon, DonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Elson, PeterCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Lisa and Dave
The point is not to make another Earth.
"Even if you want no state, or a minimal state, then you still have to argue it point by point. Especially since most minimalists want to keep exactly the economic and police system that keeps them privileged. That's libertarians for you -- anarchists who want police protection from their slaves!"

In the
Nebula Award
winning Red Mars, Kim Stanley Robinson began his critically acclaimed epic saga of the colonization of Mars, Now the
Hugo Award
winning Green Mars continues the thrilling and timeless tale of humanity's struggle to survive at its farthest frontier.

Nearly a generation has passed since the first pioneers landed, but the transformation of Mars to an Earthlike planet has just begun The plan is opposed by those determined to preserve the planets hostile, barren beauty. Led by rebels like Peter Clayborne, these young people are the first generation of children born on Mars. They will be joined by original settlers Maya Toitovna, Simon Frasier, and Sax Russell. Against this cosmic backdrop, passions, rivalries, and friendships explode in a story as spectacular as the planet itself.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,319,516 books! | Top bar: Always visible