The Expectant Father: The Ultimate Guide for…

The Expectant Father: The Ultimate Guide for Dads-to-Be (original 1995; edition 2015)

by Armin A. Brott (Author)

Series: New Father (1)

"The fourth edition of this best-selling, ground-breaking, information-packed guide for dads-to-be is now significantly, updated, revised, and expanded. We are expecting! The twentieth-anniversary edition of this thoroughly updated and revised parenting classic remains the most informative and reassuring book for expectant fathers everywhere. In addition to sharing the wisdom of the ages, Armin A. Brott, Mr. Dad, presents new insight into the emotional, financial, and physical-yes, physical-effects of impending parenthood on men. Thanks to this handy reference moms-to-be will know their partner understands and supports them during this anxious and exciting time, and that he has all the tools he needs to be a fantastic, hands-on dad. This information-packed, month-by-month guide incorporates the expertise of top practitioners in their fields, from obstetricians and birth-class instructors to psychologists and sociologists. It also draws from Brott's own experience as a father of three and from the real-world experiences of the thousands of dads he's interviewed. With the humor of New Yorker cartoons and Brott's gentle approach, The Expectant Father serves as a friendly and readable companion for dads-to-be seeking confidence, guidance, and joy! What's new in this edition of The Expectant Father? - The latest health and safety info - How technology is changing fatherhood - How men's brains change by being involved during pregnancy - Society's shifting expectations for dads - The amazing effects on children when fathers are active partners before birth - How pre-birth participation makes dads more likely to be active parents post-birth - Updated resources. and new research on the big questions that haven't changed much over the years - Am I really ready to be a dad? - How are we going to afford this? - How do I balance work and family? - Will I be able to handle labor and delivery while being there for my partner? - What if something goes wrong? - How will this affect my relationship with my partner? - Will we ever have sex again? - What am I supposed to do with a new baby? - How can I be a good dad? - Will I ever see my friends again or have any time to myself?"--"An expanded and updated month-to-month guide to the emotional, financial, and physical changes the father-to-be may experience during his partner's pregnancy"--… (more)
Member:gordsellar
Title:The Expectant Father: The Ultimate Guide for Dads-to-Be
Authors:Armin A. Brott (Author)
Info:Abbeville Press (2015), Edition: Fourth Edition, Fourth Edition, 352 pages
Collections:Your library, Read 2015

Work Information

The Expectant Father: Facts, Tips and Advice for Dads-to-Be by Armin A. Brott (1995)

Useful information though a little too much of a father's rights activism in places which I found very jarring. ( )
  brakketh | Oct 27, 2020 |
Simple, straight-forward. Not an especially engaging read. I didn't read all of it, just skimmed to necessary chapters when I was feeling a little unsure what to believe. There's a fair amount of "it'll all be ok, the bad stuff is 1 in 1000 or 1 in a million" but that's what I needed at that moment anyway. ( )
  jscape2000 | Feb 6, 2020 |
A good and educational book that follows pregnancy month by month and gives helpful advice for the expectant father. It is an easy to read book that doesn't bog down too many details. It has helpful information for both the father and the mother to expect. There is also some information on things to expect with the newborn as well. Some information may be outdated so I would double check information. ( )
  renbedell | Aug 4, 2019 |
Nice book, mostly owing to its focus on the particular concerns of expectant fathers. The subject of birth and parenting is most often regarded as an issue which only holds interest for women. If you're a man who disagrees with that, you'll find the book very empowering. ( )
  BrianFannin | May 31, 2013 |
The Expectant Dad: Facts, Tips and Advice for Dads-to-Be by Armin A. Brott and Jennifer Ash. Epiphany library section 8 H: Life Skills, Birth. Our library needed a book for expectant dads so here you go, daddies! Chapters cover each month of pregnancy with these sections: What She’s Going Through, What’s Going On with the Baby, What You’re Going Through, and Staying Involved. After this comes Labor and Delivery, Caesarian Section, Establishing a Routine at Home, and Fathering Today.
While pregnancy and childbirth can be daunting – even scary – to contemplate, all the more reason to prepare by reading ahead. You have nine months to get ready for this miracle! Dads, insist on being involved in every aspect of pregnancy, labor, delivery, and child care. Go to childbirth classes together. Learn how to care for your newborn your way – Moms don’t know it all! Encourage your partner to breast feed, since it is beneficial for baby and mommy’s health. La Leche League can help!! Studies show that women whose mothers breast-fed them have less incidence of breast cancer themselves – an amazing intergenerational benefit.
If you are prepared, you will be a more supportive partner during pregnancy and a more savvy birth coach. You will be able to make clearer decisions at the hospital. You will feel more confident knowing that your feelings are shared by most other dads-to-be. Childbirth is exhausting, frightening, and exhilarating. Processing the birth of a child takes several months!
In the last chapter, the author complains that while there are lots of storybooks about mommies and their children, there are few storybooks about daddies to read aloud. Well, I found LOTS and made up lists – for mommies, daddies and grandparents to read aloud. Help yourself to these free lists in the church library. You will find inexpensive used copies of children’s books at amazon.com, paperbackswap.com, Goodwill, public library sale rooms, and garage sales. ( )
  Epiphany-OviedoELCA | Jan 25, 2012 |

Armin A. Brottprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rudick, Jennifer Ashmain authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

To Tirzah and Talya, who make the world a better place. -A.A.B.
For Joe, Clarke, and my parents, Clarke and Agnes Ash, with love and affection. -J.A.
When my wife and I got pregnant in July 1989, I was the happiest I'd ever been.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,358,179 books! | Top bar: Always visible