The Expectant Father: Facts, Tips and Advice…

The Expectant Father: Facts, Tips and Advice for Dads-to-Be, Second… (original 1995; edition 2001)

by Jennifer Ash, Armin A. Brott

Series: New Father (1)

"The fourth edition of this best-selling, ground-breaking, information-packed guide for dads-to-be is now significantly, updated, revised, and expanded. We are expecting! The twentieth-anniversary edition of this thoroughly updated and revised parenting classic remains the most informative and reassuring book for expectant fathers everywhere. In addition to sharing the wisdom of the ages, Armin A. Brott, Mr. Dad, presents new insight into the emotional, financial, and physical-yes, physical-effects of impending parenthood on men. Thanks to this handy reference moms-to-be will know their partner understands and supports them during this anxious and exciting time, and that he has all the tools he needs to be a fantastic, hands-on dad. This information-packed, month-by-month guide incorporates the expertise of top practitioners in their fields, from obstetricians and birth-class instructors to psychologists and sociologists. It also draws from Brott's own experience as a father of three and from the real-world experiences of the thousands of dads he's interviewed. With the humor of New Yorker cartoons and Brott's gentle approach, The Expectant Father serves as a friendly and readable companion for dads-to-be seeking confidence, guidance, and joy! What's new in this edition of The Expectant Father? - The latest health and safety info - How technology is changing fatherhood - How men's brains change by being involved during pregnancy - Society's shifting expectations for dads - The amazing effects on children when fathers are active partners before birth - How pre-birth participation makes dads more likely to be active parents post-birth - Updated resources. and new research on the big questions that haven't changed much over the years - Am I really ready to be a dad? - How are we going to afford this? - How do I balance work and family? - Will I be able to handle labor and delivery while being there for my partner? - What if something goes wrong? - How will this affect my relationship with my partner? - Will we ever have sex again? - What am I supposed to do with a new baby? - How can I be a good dad? - Will I ever see my friends again or have any time to myself?"--"An expanded and updated month-to-month guide to the emotional, financial, and physical changes the father-to-be may experience during his partner's pregnancy"--… (more)
Member:AgapeBirth
Title:The Expectant Father: Facts, Tips and Advice for Dads-to-Be, Second Edition
Authors:Jennifer Ash
Other authors:Armin A. Brott
Info:Abbeville Press (2001), Edition: Second Edition, Paperback, 271 pages

Work Information

The Expectant Father: Facts, Tips and Advice for Dads-to-Be by Armin A. Brott (1995)

Useful information though a little too much of a father's rights activism in places which I found very jarring. ( )
  brakketh | Oct 27, 2020 |
Simple, straight-forward. Not an especially engaging read. I didn't read all of it, just skimmed to necessary chapters when I was feeling a little unsure what to believe. There's a fair amount of "it'll all be ok, the bad stuff is 1 in 1000 or 1 in a million" but that's what I needed at that moment anyway. ( )
  jscape2000 | Feb 6, 2020 |
A good and educational book that follows pregnancy month by month and gives helpful advice for the expectant father. It is an easy to read book that doesn't bog down too many details. It has helpful information for both the father and the mother to expect. There is also some information on things to expect with the newborn as well. Some information may be outdated so I would double check information. ( )
  renbedell | Aug 4, 2019 |
Nice book, mostly owing to its focus on the particular concerns of expectant fathers. The subject of birth and parenting is most often regarded as an issue which only holds interest for women. If you're a man who disagrees with that, you'll find the book very empowering. ( )
  BrianFannin | May 31, 2013 |
There aren't many books out there that focus on to-be dads and this one seems to be one of the first. I didn't learn a ton of new things but the authors did package the common sense stuff together in a new way that was easy to read. In addition, there were several questions that the authors encouraged parents-to-be to think about that never crossed my mind. Overall, a pretty quick read and a good reference guide, especially for someone who has never had a baby.
  walterqchocobo | Apr 8, 2013 |

Belongs to Series

To Tirzah and Talya, who make the world a better place. -A.A.B.
For Joe, Clarke, and my parents, Clarke and Agnes Ash, with love and affection. -J.A.
When my wife and I got pregnant in July 1989, I was the happiest I'd ever been.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,978,027 books! | Top bar: Always visible