The Ghost and the Dead Deb (Haunted Bookshop…

The Ghost and the Dead Deb (Haunted Bookshop Mystery) (edition 2005)

by Alice Kimberly (Author), Cleo Coyle (Author)

When the author of a true crime novel is found strangled to death while promoting her book at Penelope Thornton-McClure's bookshop, Penelope and resident ghost, P.I. Jack Shepard, are determined to solve the case.
Member:pussreboots
Title:The Ghost and the Dead Deb (Haunted Bookshop Mystery)
Authors:Alice Kimberly (Author)
Other authors:Cleo Coyle (Author)
Info:Berkley (2005), Edition: 1st, 272 pages
Collections:Your library, audio, Read in 2021
Tags:mystery, series, audio

The Ghost and the Dead Deb by Alice Kimberly

I just can’t help loving these little quirky stories. And I still find Jack Shephard extremely appealing for a ghost. I did not find the story itself as interesting as the previous book but I like the way the characters are developing. ( )
  purple_pisces22 | Mar 14, 2021 |
Penelope has another author in her store and guess what? She ends up dead, only this time not in the store. Penelope decides, along with Jack, that she needs to solve the murder so none of her friends are railroaded like she almost was last book. So she starts sleuthing again and getting in trouble.

I like Penelope and Jack. There are some twists in her relationship with Jack that I really liked. He is training her and she is getting to understand his 1940's lingo. I like how Jack pushes Penelope, not only with the sleuthing but also with loosening up with her son. I like the townspeople that Penelope has gathered around her. I also am enjoying some of the romances that are in the beginning stages. Her in-laws are jerks and I'm glad see stood up to them.

I am looking forward to the rest of the series. ( )
  Sheila1957 | Apr 11, 2020 |
When young widow Penelope Thornton-McClure moved her son and her life to a small town in Rhode Island, she knew things were going to be different. She just didn't realize how different, until the ghost of a 1940's gumshoe named Jack Shepard entered her life. Now Jack has helped Penelope realize that she's stronger than she thought and can face things she never thought possible - including the onslaught of her wealthy in-laws, who have been doing their best to run roughshod over her for years, and she's finding a new world opening up...

When a young author named Angel Stark arrives at Pen's bookstore for a promotion on her new book, Pen doesn't expect things to get heated. But she should have, considering the book is about a dead debutante named Bethany Banks whose murder is still unsolved. When Angel is attacked outside the store and local boy Johnny Napp arrives to help, Pen doesn't realize that when Johnny leaves with Angel it will unleash a slew of events that will bring Bethany's last night on earth back to the forefront; and that there's more story yet to be told, and Johnny might not only be who he says he is, but have a decidedly bigger role in it.

But when Angel disappears, along with Bethany's sister Victoria, the past comes back to haunt everyone involved, and Pen may need Jack's help more than she thinks in order to keep an innocent man from being wrongfully put away forever...

When Angel's book comes out there's obviously people who don't like it; namely, those that are participants in the story. All of them are from wealthy backgrounds and thus far have been able to protect themselves from the notoriety of murder. Yet the book promises to lay bare the details of the gruesome night Bethany was found strangled, and someone is obviously guilty.

But when Angel herself first has run-ins with several people - the dead girl's sister, for one - and then is later found murdered in a similar manner, it's obvious someone wanted to make sure this was her first and last book. But since Johnny is the main suspect, Pen feels that she needs to find the truth, because he's been dating her clerk Mina she thinks someone has it all wrong. So she enlists Jack to help her seek the real killer since it seems the police are focusing only on one person.

This is the second book in the Haunted Bookshop series, and I can honestly say that I loved it just as much as the first. Penelope is beginning to accept Jack's presence in her life, and even depend on him when the need arises. She's also becoming a stronger, more resilient person, and I really like that.

I also love the dream sequences where Penelope is able to travel backward in time to Jack's world; it's always for a purpose - to help her figure out things in her own world. I'm not going to lie; I really love that period of time, being a huge classic film buff myself, and any time I find a book that can pull me into it, I'm loving every second of it. This series is able to do just that, and I relish it.

When the ending comes and the murderer is revealed, it's more a sense of justice that is felt than any evildoing on the part of the murderer, and that's fine by me. The writing is taut, the words flow, the story is well-told and I marvel at the fact that the author(s) can take us to the past so easily and make it believable. My only hope would be that when this series does make its final episode that somehow, those 'higher ups' as it were, would find that Jack is worthy of being given a second chance in life. After all, miracles happen every day if you just look around, and this would be no different. Recommended. ( )
  joannefm2 | Aug 6, 2018 |
she keeps you guessing until the end. a real page turner. ( )
  lhaines56 | Aug 10, 2017 |
In this second of a series Penelope, the bookshop owner, finds herself involved in a case involving the death of a jet-setting author who had an insider's view on a notorious murder case. And she's ready to point fingers. Pen finds herself involved, along with the ghost of hard-boiled private eye Jack Shepard, who may or may not be "a bit of undigested beef" as Scrooge might say. The author smoothly handles the weird relationship between the two, giving Pen plenty of room to be the heroine, providing a neat little mystery in a small town, sufficiently different from its predecessor to avoid being characterized as overly-formulaic. Recommended. ( )
  NickHowes | May 26, 2016 |

Alice Kimberlyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Deeter, CatherineCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

I did not lead a very wise life myself, but it was a full one, and a grown-up one.  You come of age very often through shipwreck and disaster, and at heart of the whirlpool some men find God.
--The Ghost and Mrs. Muir by R. A. Dick
(a.k.a. Josephine Aimée Campbell Leslie)
(Prologue) I'm licensed as a private detective. . . . The police don't like me. The crooks don't like me. . . . My ethics are my own. . . . and I'll shoot it out with any gun in the city -- any time, any place.
--Race Williams in The Snarl of the Beast
by Carroll John Daly, 1927
(cited as the first hard-boiled private detective novel)
(Chapter 1) The girls I know do not like real life. When it roars in for a landing in their backyards, threatening to fly them from dance class to dorm room, beach chair to office, bar stool to altar, they race for the underground, looking for shelter. After all, why be neurotic when you can be numb?
--Angel Stark, Comfortably Numb
(Chapter 2) While von Bülow saved himself for an exclusive interview with Barbara Walters, his mistress did a saturation booking on the television shows . . . and told friends she was writing a miniseries based on the trial. Von Bülow made plans with his publisher for his autobiography and, according to one friend, made arrangements for a face-lift.
--Dominick Dunne, Fatal Charms and Other Tales of Today
(Chapter 3) Not only could she spit a curve in your eye, but she could cuss for minutes at a time without repeating.
--Walter Winchell, New York Evening Graphic, 1929
"Packed and stacked," muttered Jack Shepard, gazing down at the sweltering Manhattan rush hour.

Bookshop owner Penelope Thornton-McClure wants her resident sleuth-ghost, Jack, to stop haunting her customers. But when a pretty author is murdered, Jack can't rest in peace.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,157,881 books! | Top bar: Always visible