The Guns of Avalon (Chronicles of Amber, No.…

The Guns of Avalon (Chronicles of Amber, No. 2) (original 1972; edition 1974)

by Roger Zelazny

Across the worlds of Shadow, Corwin, Prince of royal blood, heir to the throne of Amber, gathers his forces for an assault that will yield up to him the crown that is rightfully his. But, a growing darkness of his own doing threatens Corwin's plans, an evil that stretches to the heart of the perfect kingdom itself where the demonic forces of Chaos amass to annihilate Amber and all who would rule there.… (more)
Member:dantetao
Title:The Guns of Avalon (Chronicles of Amber, No. 2)
Authors:Roger Zelazny
Info:Avon Books (1974), Mass Market Paperback, 222 pages

Work Information

The Guns of Avalon by Roger Zelazny (1972)

English (34)  French (2)  All languages (36)
Zelazny heldur áfram að þróa hliðstæða heima Amber ættarinnar. Jörðin er einungis skuggi af hinum raunverulega heimi og Amber ættin er sú eina sem getur flakkað á milli þeirra og raunar skapað þá að vild. En valdabarátta innan ættarinnar ógnar tilveru heimanna og raunar virðast allir sitja á svikráðum við hvern annan. Skemmtilega snúið plott. ( )
  SkuliSael | Apr 28, 2022 |
Picks up right where the first novel ended and is just as fast moving. You learn a lot more about Amber, and Corwin's family ( )
  kevn57 | Dec 8, 2021 |
Now I had to find a place, a place resembling another place -- one which no longer existed. I located the path. I took it.

In [b:Nine Princes in Amber|92121|Nine Princes in Amber (The Chronicles of Amber #1)|Roger Zelazny|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1416090973s/92121.jpg|1383240], Corwin attacked his brother Eric in Amber. He lost and was blinded and thrown in prison. Conveniently, Princes of Amber have a remarkable ability to heal. On top of that, Dworkin (who created the Trumps and knows more about the Pattern than probably anyone) just so happens to be locked up as well and pops into his cell.. One thing leads to another, and Corwin is free. Of course he wants to take another crack at the throne. How though?

Well, it turns out that once upon a time some hundreds of years ago (it's a bit unclear just how long the Princes of Amber can live), Corwin ruled in a Shadow named Avalon. [^1] And when he did, he made a potentially world changing discovery: Avalon had a gunpowder equivalent that works in Amber. Somehow or another though, Corwin's Avalon fell, but that's fine. Just find another Shadow of Avalon that's close enough. And bump into none other than Lancelot, because it's just that sort of story.

Along the way, he bumps into a supposed grand-niece, who can apparently walk the Pattern as Corwin and his siblings can, which is interesting. There is certainly more to that story that I'm sure we'll see later.

When we finally get back to Amber, there's a problem. Dark forces traveling on a Black Road that crosses from Shadow to Shadow are attacking. Corwin has to make a choice: use the opportunity to dethrone Eric and get his revenge or lose the element of surprise and use his guns to defend his home.

Overall, it's a pretty crazy book. It doesn't have quite the sense of wonder and discovery that Nine Princes had and I'm not really a fan of it leaning quite so heavily on Autherian mythology, but I personally like the story more. Corwin knows what's going on now, which makes for a rather more active (even if still not particularly likable) protagonist.

Good enough to read onwards. That's for sure.

[^1]: Yes. It's that Avalon. ( )
  jpv0 | Jul 21, 2021 |
A brilliant follow-up to The Princes of Amber. I'm beginning to wonder why I never found these as a child. ( )
  illmunkeys | Apr 22, 2021 |
Excellent novel, fantastic series so far too. Am really loving the slow seep of chaos into proceedings. At first it seems the series is just going to be about the various siblings doing battle with each other over control of Amber, but now the good ol' forces of chaos and darkness are raising their heads and making themselves well and truly known. And to really put a spanner in the works we now have the strange and somewhat unknown quantity of Dara(or whatever she may be)entering the fray as(presumably) some sort of dark, chaotic queen(?). Anyway, I haven't read the synopsis of the third installment but i'm certain we're going to get a big dollop of chaos in there and i'm really looking forward to it.

Brilliant. Really loved it.
  SFGale | Mar 23, 2021 |

Targete, Jean PierreCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walotsky, RonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Bob and Phyllis Rozman
I stood there on the beach and said, "Good-by Butterfly," and the ship slowly turned, then headed out toward deep water.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,976,060 books! | Top bar: Always visible