Stories (2010)

by Neil Gaiman (Editor), Al Sarrantonio (Editor)

Other authors: Richard Adams (Contributor), Kurt Andersen (Contributor), Lawrence Block (Contributor), Jonathan Carroll (Contributor), Jeffrey Deaver (Contributor)23 more, Roddy Doyle (Contributor), Jeffrey Ford (Contributor), Neil Gaiman (Contributor), Neil Gaiman (Introduction), Elizabeth Hand (Contributor), Joanne Harris (Contributor), Joe Hill (Contributor), Kat Howard (Contributor), Diana Wynne Jones (Contributor), Joe R. Lansdale (Contributor), Michael Moorcock (Contributor), Walter Mosley (Contributor), Stewart O'Nan (Contributor), Joyce Carol Oates (Contributor), Chuck Palahniuk (Contributor), Carolyn Parkhurst (Contributor), Jodi Picoult (Contributor), Tim Powers (Contributor), Al Sarrantonio (Contributor), Michael Marshall Smith (Contributor), Peter Straub (Contributor), Michael Swanwick (Contributor), Gene Wolfe (Contributor)

1,1976112,222 (3.6)1 / 39
A groundbreaking anthology that includes outstanding tales by Joe Hill, Lawrence Block, Carolyn Parkhurst, Joanne Harris, Richard Adams, Jeffery Deaver, and Neil Gaiman.
    Serial by Jack Kilborn (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: Re: the short story "Catch and Release" by Lawrence Block, or another take on serial killers.

English (60)  Dutch (1)  All languages (61)
A collection of short stories, some fantasy, some mild horror, all of which center around the idea of "and then what happened?"

As I mentioned earlier, I tend to shy away from short story collections because I find them so difficult to get through. I'll just get settled and comfortable in one and then, ope!, it's over and I have to start getting settled again into another one, and that feels sort of exhausting to me. I was willing to give this one a go, though, because Neil Gaiman is one of the editors. And I enjoyed a handful of the stories (Gaiman's contribution I'd already read and loved elsewhere), but it still felt like more of a chore than a pleasure to get through the book. That's completely on me and not the fault of the stories or the curators. If you like Gaiman's sort of stuff, you'll likely like these tales, and there are some pretty big names on the list of storytellers (Peter Staub, Diana Wynne Jones, Joe Hill, Michael Moorcock,...). So take my rating with a heap of salt and leap right in if those names appeal. ( )
  scaifea | May 15, 2021 |
Tragically unfinished, this anthology's first story was only OK, the second was similarly meh (but appeared to have a high opinion of itself, making it annoying) and the third story was essentially a YA novel but reduced to a single chapter.

I had to put it down, perhaps if I had infinite time for reading I could try to dig further to find the diamonds in the rough, but it's just not worth it as is. ( )
  shotagofish | May 3, 2021 |
Overall this book was worth the read but like most anthologies contained its fair share of tedium. Also, the fact that i usually read genre fiction and these stories aren't genre fiction didn't help matters really.

I'm not gonna go through this story by story. The best story by far was Wildfire in Manhattan and was about the Old Gods in a modern city setting. Was very good indeed and almost made this book worth the price on its own.

An OK read, apart from Wildfire in Manhattan which was exceptional.
  SFGale | Mar 23, 2021 |
the characters, the settings, the road trip, everyone's relationships to one another and to regret, and time and accident, and to what might have been, i loved the ebb and flow of all of it. ( )
  nkmunn | Nov 17, 2018 |
I did this an an audio book. Overall it was good but, as it's an anthology, not surprising it's uneven. Some of the stories are more compelling and some of the readings are stronger. ( )
  DFratini | Apr 23, 2018 |

Straub, PeterContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Swanwick, MichaelContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wolfe, GeneContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Haworth, HennieCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For all the storytellers and tale spinners who entertained the public and kept themselves alive, for Alexandre Dumas and Charles Dickens, for Mark Twain and Baroness Orczy and the rest, and most of all, for Scheherazade, who was the storyteller and the story told.
Many loving thanks to Jennifer Brehl and Merrilee Heifetz, dual rudders on a long boat, for steering us safely to shore.
Al Sarrantonio and I were discussing anthologies of short stories.

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,254,794 books! | Top bar: Always visible