The Moorchild by Eloise McGraw

The Moorchild (original 1996; edition 2006)

by Eloise McGraw

Member:aaluke94
Title:The Moorchild
Authors:Eloise McGraw
Info:Aladdin (2006), Paperback, 256 pages
Collections:In My Room, Your library

The Moorchild by Eloise McGraw (1996)

The Field Guide by Holly Black (Bitter_Grace)
    The Half Child by Kathleen Hersom (Hollerama)
    Hollerama: Both books take a look at the concept of changelings, but in very different ways.
    The New Policeman by Kate Thompson (Bitter_Grace)
    The Last of the High Kings by Kate Thompson (Bitter_Grace)

Moql is half human, half Folk, or fairy people. As such, she doesn't quite fit in one world or the other. Since she doesn't fit with the Folk, and they are decidedly non-family oriented, they swap her for a human baby. They will use the human child as a sort of slave, and the humans will raise Moql (whom they name Saaski) as their own.
As Saaski grows into girlhood, it is plain to everyone in the village that she isn't "normal". Her parents love her all the same, and try to convince themselves that she is indeed their own child, though they both have their doubts. Saaski's only real friends are her human-side grandmother, who is almost certain that she is a changling, and the boy Tam that she meets while wandering the forbidden moors that she so loves.
The real struggle in the book is Moql/Saaski, who desperately wants to belong, and yet just can't really fit in anywhere.
I was just a little dissatisfied with the conclusion of the book, but it was perhaps the most believable conclusion given the storyline and setting. ( )
  fingerpost | Jun 30, 2016 |
Trying to articulate to myself how I felt about this book, I read some of the other reviews. Now I can't really say anything here, because, word-for-word, Stephanie said it all in her 2* review from Dec. 15 2010. I, too, happened on it by chance, and found it too understated but not actually a bad book, etc. etc. So, off you go, find her review if you want to know what I think. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
A sweet a fun book that I wish had been just a bit more attention-holding. Still, I would have loved it as a child had I known it existed, and I definitely recommend it! ( )
  Kristin_Curdie_Cook | Apr 29, 2016 |
Lovely description and immersion into medieval Scotland. I was fascinated by the way McGraw gradually revealed the attributes and customs of the Folk of the moors. Most of all, I loved coming to an understanding of the most basic difference between the Folk and the humans--ability to feel lasting emotional attachment, hate, and love. For a while I wondered whether the story might have gone better if the readers weren't let in on Saaski's secret from the very beginning; the mystery could have been enhanced. But that would have left less time to learn about the Folk, which is very interesting. ( )
  TrgLlyLibrarian | Feb 1, 2015 |
Nice story from the point of view of a girl who is half fae/human. Exchanged for a human child, she hates her new home until she realizes that if she doesn't try to fit in her fate could be worse. The villagers never do like her, but her parents dote on her, not willing to believe she isn't their own baby. She forgets her past "under the Mound", learns about human emotions, and then has an encounter which brings it all back.
Good lesson on maturing. I like stories which have children who love the outdoors {Saaski keeps escaping her chores by going to the moors.) ( )
  juniperSun | Nov 16, 2014 |

Eloise McGrawprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bernardin, JamesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Craig, DanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Changeling: an ugly, stupid or strange child superstitiously believed to have been left by fairies in place of a pretty, charming child.
-Random House Dictionary, Unabridged Ed.
The fairies' normal method was to steal an unchristened child, who had not been given the proper protection, out of the cradle and to leave a substitute in its place. . . .The true changelings are those fairy creatures who replace the stolen babies.
-An Encyclepedia of Fairies by Katherine Briggs
To all children who have ever felt different.
It was Old Bess, the Wise Woman of the village, who first suspected that the baby at her daughter's house was a changeling.

Feeling that she is neither fully human nor "Folk," a changeling learns her true identity and attempts to find the human child whose place she had been given.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,834,315 books! | Top bar: Always visible