Kaito's Cloth by Glenda Millard

Kaito's Cloth

by Glenda Millard

Other authors: Gaye Chapman (Illustrator)

I liked the fable-like story, and loved the illustrations. They led me to other stories in my imagination. Very satisfying read/viewing/imagining. ( )
  margothere.library | Aug 8, 2015 |
Hoping to see her butterflies in flight one last time, Kaito makes the difficult three-day trek to the top of the Mountain of Dreams, where she asks the Lord of Flight for help. Distraught when she discovers that the butterflies have died in the meantime, she is comforted by the Lord of Flight's assurance that he couldn't have made them fly in any case, and his explanation that flight is eternal, and can be found in many places and activities. Inspired, Kaito creates a beautiful kite...

Based on story alone, I probably would have given this two stars. With a narrative that is trying just a little too hard to be meaningful, Kaito's Cloth struck me as confused, and somewhat "precious." The art, on the other hand, is just gorgeous - a solid four stars! With beautifully surreal vistas, and attention-grabbing color contrasts - Kaito's red cheeks and dress really stand out - Gaye Chapman's illustrations are definitely worth checking out. Just don't expect to be as "wowed" by the story. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Jul 19, 2013 |
A very beautiful story about Kaito that I think children will love. I would use this to teach about rhyming. ( )
  Ginger_Malone | Apr 24, 2013 |

Glenda Millardprimary authorall editionscalculated
Chapman, GayeIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

With the winter days approaching, young Kaito journeys to the Mountain of Dreams to watch her butterflies soar one last time. However, when she reaches her destination after an arduous three-day trek, she is too late. Her butterflies have died. “Weep no more,” says the Lord of Flight, creator of all butterflies. “Only the wings are stilled. Flight is eternal.” Inspired, Kaito has an idea: She takes a silver needle and soft spider’s silk, and sews a pair of wings that take breath in the wind. With her kite, now everyone can enjoy the beauty of a butterfly’s flight all winter long.

In Kaito’s Cloth, Glenda Millard and Gaye Chapman offer an emotionally resonant and visually arresting story about the beauty of butterflies, and the resilience of the human spirit.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:38 -0400)

Disappointed that the Lord of Flight cannot revive her butterflies and make them fly one last time, Kaito, nonetheless, begins to understand what he teaches her about flight and finds a way to experience it, even in the wintertime.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,982,641 books! | Top bar: Always visible