Pug Hill by Alison Pace

Pug Hill (edition 2006)

by Alison Pace (Author)

Series: Pug Hill (1)

A young woman with a yen for pugs, a crush on one of her co-workers, a failing romance, and a horrible fear of public speaking, Hope McNeill is confronted by a request to make a speech at her parents' anniversary party and signs up for a public speaking class in the hopes that it will transform her into an eloquent and confident orator.… (more)
Member:afmhoneybadger
Title:Pug Hill
Authors:Alison Pace (Author)
Info:Berkley (2006), 312 pages

Pug Hill by Alison Pace

The writing reminded me a little of either "Good in Bed" or "Bridget Jones Diary". ( )
  whybehave2002 | Feb 4, 2015 |
3.5 stars

Hope is a paintings restorer. She has a boyfriend, but also a crush on a coworker. Her parents' wedding anniversary is coming up and her dad has asked her to give a speech at the celebration. Hope is terrified of public speaking, but she can't say no to her parents with a request like this.

It was quick and enjoyable. Definitely a light summer read. Probably my favourite chapter was the one that focused on her parents' dogs. I did like how it ended, as well. ( )
  LibraryCin | Feb 20, 2014 |
This book made me really happy. I'm rating it five stars based on the genre: It's chick lit, through-and-through. I wouldn't put it up against Thomas Hardy as "great literature", but it's a happy and reflective example of modern popular literature. I loved the protaganist's talk about her family, and I loved her for loving dogs. ( )
  periwinklejane | Mar 31, 2013 |
I thought this book would be a good "light" diversionary read form some nonfiction books I've been reading. Little did I suspect that some of what was in those books would turn up in this! I've been trying to build a practice of meditation and mindfulness, and at least two of the techniques for restorative breathing show up in Pug Hill as relaxation techniques, taught in Hope's public speaking class! Synchronicity, huh? Anyhow, the novel, which true to my original thoughts, was of the lighter variety, had some good expressions on the subjects of finding contentment, overcoming fears, and the love of a good dog.

Not being a New Yorker, I was curious to see if Pug Hill really existed. I came upon these two links which give some interesting information:
http://www.nytimes.com/1997/06/01/nyregion/while-the-pugs-eat-the-caviar-owners-... ( )
  bookczuk | Aug 28, 2011 |
Really loved this book!
Found Allison's writing and sense of humor to be just wonderful and a delight!!
Hope MacNeill - Jewish/Catholic painting restorer at the Met is in her mid-30's and finding life hard in NYC. She has a crush on a co-worker, has a boyfriend she really doesn't like, and a sister, Darcy whose boyfriend C.P. may move to a commune.
She also decides to fight her fear of public speaking by taking a class at the New School. The diaglogue for this section is amazing!!
A thouroughly enjoyable read! ( )
  coolmama | Apr 30, 2009 |
For Mom and Dad

(Happy Anniversary)
For Holly Golightly, there was always Tiffany's. (prologue)
"Conservation," Elliot says quietly as he picks up the phone, and then, a moment later, "Okay, hold on a sec, please."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,342,653 books! | Top bar: Always visible