Barrel Fever: Stories and Essays by David…

Barrel Fever: Stories and Essays (original 1994; edition 1995)

by David Sedaris (Author)

A satirical look at modern culture. In Glen's Homophobia Newsletter, Vol. 3, No. 2, the author parodies the whining of minority groups, Diary of a Smoker tackles the persecution of smokers, and Santaland Diaries describes the author's experiences as a Macy's elf.
Member:LentzCyn
Title:Barrel Fever: Stories and Essays
Authors:David Sedaris (Author)
Info:Back Bay Books (1995), Edition: Reprint, 208 pages

Work Information

Barrel Fever: Stories and Essays by David Sedaris (1994)

I listen to it as a book on tape (yes book on tape it was a thrift store find. On tape is the best way to experience Sedaris' books. ( )
  Thomas.Cannon | Dec 7, 2021 |
I believe this is David Sedaris's first book. It is more a book of gay humor, satirical and a bit cruel, than of personal experiences, enlightened by humor. It's a bit on the crazy side, like he has just let go of all his filters and lets whatever comes to him land on the page. No, I am sure not all filters. He takes a subject and just runs with it, wherever his wild imagination will go.

I wasn't excited by it. I suspect others like it or will like it a lot more than I did. ( )
  slojudy | Sep 8, 2020 |
This was my first venture into Sedaris and I was thoroughly entertained. These stories and essays are very strong-willed none are alike, and they each reach so high and deliver that it is a great enjoyment to read them. This was great!

4.75 stars! ( )
  DanielSTJ | Mar 7, 2020 |
This first collection of Sedaris' is a mix of fiction and essays. The first couple of stories started things off to a rocky start but gets back on track with stories full of his trademark sarcastic humor which I find really funny. The last essay, Santaland Diaries, is a classic and should be read every Christmas. ( )
  phollis68 | Apr 9, 2019 |
I recommend reading this collection AFTER you've already read (and loved) Sedaris' other work. These stories aren't nearly as funny or as well-crafted and stylized. ( )
  bookishblond | Oct 24, 2018 |
To my mother, Sharon
I was on "Oprah" a while ago, talking about how I used to love too much.

5.00
5/2011

Hachette Book Group

3 editions of this book were published by Hachette Book Group.

Editions: 0316779423, 1586212214, 1570426333

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,728,771 books! | Top bar: Always visible