dismiss

Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim

by David Sedaris

David Sedaris plays in the snow with his sisters. He goes on vacation with his family. He gets a job selling drinks. He attends his brother's wedding. He mops his sister's floor. He gives directions to a lost traveler. He eats a hamburger. He has his blood sugar tested. It all sounds so normal, doesn't it? In his newest collection of essays, David Sedaris lifts the corner of ordinary life, revealing the absurdity teeming below its surface. His world is alive with obscure desires and hidden motives -- a world where forgiveness is automatic and an argument can be the highest form of love. Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim is another unforgettable collection from one of the wittiest and most original writers at work today.… (more)

English (182)  Italian (1)  All languages (183)
The well may be running dry for Sedaris. ( )
  AldusManutius | Jul 5, 2020 |
This was the opposite of a page turner. I struggled to finish it. If you want to delve into his particular style of depression, neurotic and sarcastic, well, have at it. There's some humor, enlightening or sweet bits once and awhile, but most of what you get is brutal honesty from a strange place. ( )
  mitchtroutman | Jun 14, 2020 |
My review of this book can be found on my Youtube Vlog at:

Enjoy! ( )
  booklover3258 | May 19, 2020 |
This had some very funny stories. It also had some creepy stories. Overall, I enjoyed it. ( )
  Melwilk | Mar 19, 2020 |
David Sedaris continues to tell stories of life with his family in the United States and with his lover Hugh in Normandy. I listened to this book on CD, and found the essays more palatable in that media. The author’s squeaky deadpan voice is perfect for talk radio. I think his essays do better when heard than when read. I still don’t think they are funny, but I do think they are entertaining and that the author writes well. Sometimes I smile during an essay...but rarely! :-)

In this book, he talks about such things as drowning a mouse, following the conception, birth and babyhood of his niece Madeline, learning that his mother wants to give away *his* candy the day after Halloween to some neighbor’s children, and finding out about six black men that come for Christmas in the Netherlands. ( )
  SqueakyChu | Dec 23, 2019 |
Sedaris is a careful writer, with a no-muss, no-fuss style that rarely misfires.

In a couple of this book's entries, the author's attempts to write humorously about subjects that are far from humorous result in essays that can be described only as contrived and cringe-making. They feel like strained, self-conscious efforts to generate material, and they should have been excised from this volume. The rest of the book shows Mr. Sedaris in fine funny form... It is the more shaded family reminiscences..., however, that form the heart of this book and that attest to the author's evolution from comic writer to full-fledged memoirist.

David Sedarisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kidd, ChipCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Peellaert, ÉlisabethTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Hugh
When my family first moved to North Carolina, we lived in a rented house three blocks from the school where I would begin the third grade.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,708,954 books! | Top bar: Always visible