Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim

by David Sedaris

12,855192406 (3.93)174
David Sedaris plays in the snow with his sisters. He goes on vacation with his family. He gets a job selling drinks. He attends his brother's wedding. He mops his sister's floor. He gives directions to a lost traveler. He eats a hamburger. He has his blood sugar tested. It all sounds so normal, doesn't it? In his newest collection of essays, David Sedaris lifts the corner of ordinary life, revealing the absurdity teeming below its surface. His world is alive with obscure desires and hidden motives -- a world where forgiveness is automatic and an argument can be the highest form of love. Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim is another unforgettable collection from one of the wittiest and most original writers at work today.… (more)

English (188)  Italian (1)  All languages (189)
Good recording, read by the author.

cziering | Nov 27, 2022 |
listening to the anthropocene reviewed right now so feeling very reviewy...10 years after his authorial debut, this is classic Sedaris, but you can tell he hasn't quite hit his stride and/or found his voice, mainly from the live-audience ones. Also I was distracted by the existential loss of a couple of things (repro rights, my phone...) I probably didn't give it the attention it deserves. I like it, but he can definitely get his tongue farther into his cheek, if you know what I mean. To Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim, I give 3.5 stars. ( )
  graceandbenji | Sep 1, 2022 |
The problem is the socioeconomic class gap between his childhood and mine. The essays in this book (the first three anyway, I couldn't read more) are grounded in a middle class upbringing. I grew up lower class (picture 3 people living in a 1 bedroom trailer and never having lived in a home without roaches until adulthood).

Consider the third essay called "The Ship Shape". They got to go on a vacation. A vacation EVERY year! They got to rent a house on a beach with real beds for everyone to sleep in. Not a bit of foam rubber scrounged out of a junkyard on the floor, but actual beds with bed frames no doubt! No bugs or anything. But apparently, this wasn't good enough. Apparently, this was so god-awfully traumatizing to him that he needed to write a story about it in his late 40s. I even got the impression at the end that we were supposed to admire the fortitude with which he and his sister coped with the tragedy of not owning their own beach house.

As an adult, I've attained middle class, but the shape of my childhood is permanent. This book, at least the first three stories of it, are prime examples of the whining ingratitude of Americans. Whining humor works for a lot of people I guess, but definitely not for me. ( )
  Zoes_Human | Aug 8, 2022 |
David Sedaris plays in the snow with his sisters. He goes on vacation with his family. He gets a job selling drinks. He attends his brother’s wedding. He mops his sister’s floor. He gives directions to a lost traveler. He eats a hamburger. He has his blood sugar tested. It all sounds so normal, doesn’t it? In his newest collection of essays, David Sedaris lifts the corner of ordinary life, revealing the absurdity teeming below its surface. His world is alive with obscure desires and hidden motives — a world where forgiveness is automatic and an argument can be the highest form of love. Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim is another unforgettable collection from one of the wittiest and most original writers at work today. ( )
  jepeters333 | Jun 1, 2022 |
On tape is the best way to experience Sedaris' books. ( )
  Thomas.Cannon | Dec 7, 2021 |
Sedaris is a careful writer, with a no-muss, no-fuss style that rarely misfires.

In a couple of this book's entries, the author's attempts to write humorously about subjects that are far from humorous result in essays that can be described only as contrived and cringe-making. They feel like strained, self-conscious efforts to generate material, and they should have been excised from this volume. The rest of the book shows Mr. Sedaris in fine funny form... It is the more shaded family reminiscences..., however, that form the heart of this book and that attest to the author's evolution from comic writer to full-fledged memoirist.

David Sedarisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kidd, ChipCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Peellaert, ÉlisabethTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Hugh
When my family first moved to North Carolina, we lived in a rented house three blocks from the school where I would begin the third grade.

Hachette Book Group

4 editions of this book were published by Hachette Book Group.

Editions: 0316143464, 0316010790, 1586215027, 1586215019

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,135,682 books! | Top bar: Always visible