Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim by…

Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim (2004)

by David Sedaris

English (162)  Italian (1)  All languages (163)
Man writes a funny story @ everyday life — poor family no T.V. — do they know how to dress — right ___ ___

David Sedaris plays in the snow with his sisters. He goes on vacation with his family. He gets a job selling drinks. He attends his brother's wedding. He mops his sister's floor. He gives directions to a lost traveler. He eats a hamburger. He has his blood sugar tested. It all sounds so normal, doesn't it? In this collection of essays, Sedaris lifts the corner of ordinary life, revealing the absurdity teeming below its surface. His world is alive with obscure desires and hidden motives--a world where forgiveness is automatic and an argument can be the highest form of love.
  christinejoseph | Jul 27, 2016 |
I love David Sedaris' writing. This book lived up to my expectations. I would highly recommend. ( )
  lacey.tucker | Mar 10, 2016 |
Collection of memories from his life. About being a child, teenager, young adult, gay, relationships, family and house hunting. ( )
  nx74defiant | Jan 23, 2016 |
Basically a collection of random short stories covering events throughout David Sedaris' life. I listened to the audiobook version and I like that Sedaris actually read it. I found several of the stories amusing. My main problem with the book is that the stories don't connect together and are told in random order so a story from childhood is followed by a story from today then a story from twenty years ago which confused me. ( )
  RachelNF | Jan 15, 2016 |
This was my first Sedaris book, after people had recommended his work for years. I think I had built him up too much in my head, so I didn't enjoy this book as much as I expected. While I did love the humor and delighted in his gifts for storytelling, I couldn't quite tamp down my disappointment. However, I plan to read all of his other works- hoping this was merely a lukewarm introduction to a talented author. ( )
  Alidawn | Jan 14, 2016 |
Sedaris is a careful writer, with a no-muss, no-fuss style that rarely misfires.

In a couple of this book's entries, the author's attempts to write humorously about subjects that are far from humorous result in essays that can be described only as contrived and cringe-making. They feel like strained, self-conscious efforts to generate material, and they should have been excised from this volume. The rest of the book shows Mr. Sedaris in fine funny form... It is the more shaded family reminiscences..., however, that form the heart of this book and that attest to the author's evolution from comic writer to full-fledged memoirist.

David Sedarisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kidd, ChipCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Peellaert, ÉlisabethTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Hugh
When my family first moved to North Carolina, we lived in a rented house three blocks from the school where I would begin the third grade.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316010790, Paperback)

It just isn’t fair: most of us would be lucky to be able to express ourselves in writing half as well as David Sedaris does in his new book, Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim. But on top of his skills with the written word, the author also has substantial gifts as a performer, and he proves this on the audio version of the book. In his essay The Change in Me,Sedaris remembers that his mother was good at imitating people, and it’s clear that he takes after her. Whether he’s doing impressions of high-voiced brother Paul, or recalling times when he and his sisters tried to win good karma by speaking and acting like well-behaved, fairytale children, Sedaris’s nuanced performance hits the right note on both the opening, comedic stories, and the more poignant essays that tend to come later in the reading. In fact, for those who have already read some of the best stories in other publications including The New Yorker, the CD or cassette version of this collection is probably the best bet for furthering your appreciation of the material.

Sedaris’s career is closely linked with two things: audio (he was discovered by NPR’s Ira Glass), and the personal lives of himself and his family. In Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim, he describes fights with his boyfriend, and his sister-in-law’s difficult pregnancy. When sister Lisa complains about the stories involving the family, he writes about that, too. Sedaris's latest provides more evidence that he is a great humorist, memoirist and raconteur, and readers are lucky to have the opportunity to know him so well. Perhaps they are luckier still not to know him personally. --Leah Weathersby

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:23 -0400)

In a collection of essays, the Rooster gets married at an uproarious wedding, an estrangement occurs over a rubber vs. plastic debate, and the author gets the upper hand during a slumber party game of strip poker.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,365,265 books! | Top bar: Always visible