Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim by…

Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim (2004)

by David Sedaris

English (156)  Italian (1)  All languages (157)
So many of these essays had me laughing out loud. Definitely one of my favorite collections. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
This is a story of the quirky family David Sedaris grew up with and how it made him the person he is today. He has a crazy family that is described with some very interesting and fun stories. I did find some of the stories to be frustrating to the point where I wanted to shake him and some of his family/friends. The things they would say. The numbness are easy to relate to and inevitably you will relate to at least one of the stories in this book.

I've heard this isn't one of the better books by David Sedaris. I cannot compare since is the fist book of his I've read, but I do plan on giving some of his other books a chance since I've heard great things about them. I'd love to read what your opinion is on David Sedaris and what books you might recommend after reading Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim.

The final rating for this book is a 3/5. ( )
  lizasarusrex | Sep 26, 2015 |
Even though I’d heard many of these stories before, they never get old. This isn’t my favorite of his books, but if you need a Sedaris fix, Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim fits the bill. ( )
  les121 | Aug 23, 2015 |
The book is about Dave's quirky family and boyfriend who all seem to provide a ton of material for his books.

This is my first Sedaris read and I have to say I was not disappointed. It was laugh out loud funny. People would just look at me and wonder what I was laughing about. I cant wait to read some of his earlier work. ( )
  campingmomma | Aug 19, 2015 |
I did not enjoy this one as much as all of his other books (and I've read them all at this point). I found the subject matter depressing. Every now and then Sedaris has some insightful and beautifully expressed self-analysis to which I can relate, but mostly this collection of essays is about people I'd rather not know (or know about, for that matter). Also, I rarely laughed out loud or smiled while listening, which is my usual experience listening to Sedaris. I give it 3 stars instead of 2 just because I'd even find pleasure in listening to Sedaris read tax codes for hours. Overall, Dress Your Family is nothing to write home about. ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
Sedaris is a careful writer, with a no-muss, no-fuss style that rarely misfires.
In a couple of this book's entries, the author's attempts to write humorously about subjects that are far from humorous result in essays that can be described only as contrived and cringe-making. They feel like strained, self-conscious efforts to generate material, and they should have been excised from this volume. The rest of the book shows Mr. Sedaris in fine funny form... It is the more shaded family reminiscences..., however, that form the heart of this book and that attest to the author's evolution from comic writer to full-fledged memoirist.

David Sedarisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kidd, ChipCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Peellaert, ÉlisabethTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Hugh
When my family first moved to North Carolina, we lived in a rented house three blocks from the school where I would begin the third grade.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316010790, Paperback)

It just isn’t fair: most of us would be lucky to be able to express ourselves in writing half as well as David Sedaris does in his new book, Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim. But on top of his skills with the written word, the author also has substantial gifts as a performer, and he proves this on the audio version of the book. In his essay The Change in Me,Sedaris remembers that his mother was good at imitating people, and it’s clear that he takes after her. Whether he’s doing impressions of high-voiced brother Paul, or recalling times when he and his sisters tried to win good karma by speaking and acting like well-behaved, fairytale children, Sedaris’s nuanced performance hits the right note on both the opening, comedic stories, and the more poignant essays that tend to come later in the reading. In fact, for those who have already read some of the best stories in other publications including The New Yorker, the CD or cassette version of this collection is probably the best bet for furthering your appreciation of the material.

Sedaris’s career is closely linked with two things: audio (he was discovered by NPR’s Ira Glass), and the personal lives of himself and his family. In Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim, he describes fights with his boyfriend, and his sister-in-law’s difficult pregnancy. When sister Lisa complains about the stories involving the family, he writes about that, too. Sedaris's latest provides more evidence that he is a great humorist, memoirist and raconteur, and readers are lucky to have the opportunity to know him so well. Perhaps they are luckier still not to know him personally. --Leah Weathersby

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:23 -0400)

In a collection of essays, the Rooster gets married at an uproarious wedding, an estrangement occurs over a rubber vs. plastic debate, and the author gets the upper hand during a slumber party game of strip poker.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,888,235 books! | Top bar: Always visible