Y: The Last Man: The Deluxe Edition, Book 4 (2006)

by Brian K. Vaughan, Pia Guerra (Illustrator), José Marzán Jr. (Illustrator), Goran Sudzuka (Illustrator)

Series: Y: The Last Man (Deluxe 4)

As this deluxe edition begins, we catch up on the adventures of Yorick's monkey Ampersand (whose biology may hold the key to stopping the male-killing plague) and tells the origin of Yorick's mysterious protector, Agent 355 as Yorick searches for his fiancee in Australia, with deadly results. From Australia, Yorick and his companions continue on to Japan to learn the truth behind Ampersand's abduction.… (more)

I thought this collection was the best yet. I loved all of the back story on the characters we thought we knew well. ( )
  booksforbrunch | May 5, 2021 |
Off to Japan to rescue a monkey from a ninja...

Still enjoying this series and look forward to the final two books. ( )
  nmorse | Dec 3, 2019 |
This review is for the entire run of Y: The Last Man, not any single installment.

In an instant all the men, in fact every mammal with a Y chromosome, all around the world are wiped out. Except for one man and his monkey (and yes, the inevitable Beatles joke does eventually get made). That man, Yorick Brown, and his helper capuchin in training, Ampersand, are taken under the protection of a spy/assassin member of a secret organization answerable only to the President of the USA and sent to meet an expert in (human) cloning to try and discover why Yorick survived and how to continue the human species. And incidentally for Yorick to re-unite with his fiancée, last known to be in Australia.

Of course most of the story is about the troubles of being the only remaining man alive in a world that just lost half its population while trying to travel from New York to Boston to California and eventually most of the rest of the world. How would women react? What sorts of communities would they re-build? The short answer is well and badly, communities of hate and communities of inclusion, all with very recognizable human motivations. There are neo-amazons who set out to destroy any vestige of maleness in the world. There are the ex-cons that were let out of prison (what if the female guards hadn't freed them?) who form a community based around shared pasts and a belief in reform, responsibility and independence. Fanatic nationalists, drug smugglers, post-male feminist activist acting troupes.

Throughout the entire run a variety of possible causes ranging from disease, to curses, to divine retribution, to gaia/evolution re-setting a balance are proposed. The thing they all have in common, aside from never being definitively set as "the" cause, is that every single one of them revolves around the incredible hubris that the actions of a single person caused this to happen. Right along side the obvious parallel of the hubris that a single man could "save" the entire human species.

The story is well told, beautifully illustrated, and plays with a whole range of human emotions and motivations in a fairly believable fashion. If it skims past a lot of the practical details and problems, it at least acknowledges them in passing. My biggest problem is that while any given installment contains some time references like "New York, 10 minutes ago" and "Washington D.C., now" the actual timeline of the entire series of chapters (issues? installments?) is not clearly laid out. And it doesn't help that two chapters might take place in immediate succession, or weeks or months apart. That probably worked fine for anyone reading each installment as it came out each month but if you're reading them in collected and straight through it becomes slightly annoying and distracting. ( )
  grizzly.anderson | Apr 29, 2018 |
We catch up on Ampersand's adventures, find out Agent 355's background, search for Yorick's missing fiancée (which doesn't go well), and continue our quest by going to Japan. I was a bit wary of this since I have read something else by the author that I didn't care for at all, but with recommendations coming at me from all directions, I thought I should at least give one a try and I wasn't disappointed at all. There is, of course, a multitude of things to be said about an all-women society depicted by a male author, but I'm going to leave that to those more interested in gender issues than me. The dystopian angle is what I really liked, particularly the issues of day-to-day living. There are a couple of things that irked me slightly, but it's absolutely a series that's worth reading. The "Deluxe" versions of these books include two of the collected volumes as well as the script for one of the issues. ( )
  -Eva- | Jul 22, 2014 |

Vaughan, Brian K.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Guerra, PiaIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Marzán Jr., JoséIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Sudzuka, GoranIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,040,998 books! | Top bar: Always visible