One Unashamed Night

by Sophia James

Series: The Wellingham Family (2)

"Living in a gray world of silhouette, Lord Taris Wellingham conceals his fading eyesight from society. He has long protected himself from any intimate relationships. Plain twenty-eight-year-old Beatrice-Maude Bassingstoke does not expect to attract any man, especially not one as good-looking as her remote traveling companion. Forced by a snowstorm to spend the night together, these two lonely people seek solace in each other's arms. The passion they unleash surprises them both. Then a new day dawns..."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

My rating is a bit inflated because the book had a plain, insecure heroine who had been abused, but honestly, it was a little too super-sweet and cheesy for my tastes. (3.5 stars)

Stands up on re-read when I am in the mood for my favored tropes ( )
  PNRList | Aug 15, 2018 |
When the wheel on a carriage (carrying passengers) falls off in a snowstorm, causing the carriage to tip over and become damaged, some passengers are injured and they are stranded on a snowy road. Two strangers who were in the carriage (hero Taris, and heroine Bea) leave to get help and are forced to eventually take cover in a barn to escape the freezing cold. During the night they get close together for body warmth and then they make love. They agree to just one night and then go their separate ways when they are rescued in the morning.

They eventually meet again in London. The hero’s sister-in-law (Emerald) was there when Bea and Taris were rescued and Emerald has seen Bea in town holding her own weekly discussion groups. So Emerald thinks she will do some matchmaking and she invites Bea over to her house one day. And who should show up…Taris, bumping into a doorframe, stumbling and tripping. Bea thinks that Taris is a drunkard, like her dead abusive husband was, and she is disappointed in Taris and quickly leaves. But Bea doesn’t know Taris has a secret. He really isn’t drunk, he is going blind…

This was just an okay read. The main couple were likable and the book started out well but as the story went on I found myself losing interest. It seemed slow at times. And some parts of the book had way too many exclamations points (!), especially in the love scenes. It made the scenes seem more silly than romantic. The storyline looked interesting, with a hero going blind, but it wasn’t really that compelling. I thought I'd enjoy this book more than I did. ( )
  SandraLynne | Apr 7, 2017 |
I've read the book multiple times, but this review is for the AUDIOBOOK. It was just amazing! The story 5 STARS the narration 5 STARS! I loved it. ( )
  CrystalW | Dec 15, 2015 |
  CrystalW | Dec 15, 2015 |
I liked the story from the stand point that the characters were not perfect and had a few warts but managed to overcome them to fall in love ( )
  Fairydragonstar | Mar 30, 2013 |

Sophia Jamesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lyons, SusanReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Audiobooks, Whole StoryPublishersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Staub, GaëlleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Monsieur, monsieur. Réveillez-vous.

THE AWAKENING OF BEATRICE

Forced by a snowstorm to spend the night together, these two lonely people seek solace in each other's arms. The passion they unleash surprises them both. Then a new day dawns....

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,224,430 books! | Top bar: Always visible