The Missing Person by Alix Ohlin

The Missing Person

by Alix Ohlin

The disappearance of her younger brother brings artist Lynn Fleming back from New York to Albuquerque, where she discovers the missing Wylie among a group of eco-warriors and is forced to come to terms with her family and herself.

I read it as a somewhat flat meditation on the ultimately insubstantial/unworkable nature of the obsessions of idealistic youth. The seams showed a bit too often, characters tended to be tailored to further the plot developments more than by their own internal logic, and the repetitious eco-terrorist capers eventually lost their power to jump start interest in what's going on. The protag/narrator is somewhat interesting in that we get a clear window into her own personal development. However, too much is ultimately left open for there to be any real sense of resolution to the main character's journey.

Overall, it's...okay, but ultimately somewhat nebulous. And you'll have to expect a bit of a yawn factor. For me, it was one of those novels that I toss aside and think "All right, now it's time to actually READ something." ( )
  trivigo | Aug 2, 2010 |
The Missing Person is such a well-picked title for this book. The Missing Person could refer to so many things: the narrator's brother who disappears, but only for a short while; the narrator herself, who misses people like her father; the mysterious painter; and even all of us, who are missing things in our lives.
This is a fairly simple book, but it has layers to it that make it almost beautiful while reading. Best of all, the author doesn't find it necessary to talk above you to make herself feel superior. It's straightforward language, but there is still a lot to digest and enjoy. ( )
  bigdc | Aug 27, 2007 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,876,518 books! | Top bar: Always visible