Scorpion's Bite (Lily Sampson…

Scorpion's Bite (Lily Sampson Mysteries) (edition 2010)

by Aileen G. Baron

Member:audreyl1969
Title:Scorpion's Bite (Lily Sampson Mysteries)
Authors:Aileen G. Baron
Info:Poisoned Pen Press (2010), Paperback, 250 pages
Rating:*****

Scorpion's Bite (Lily Sampson Mysteries) by Aileen G. Baron

After reading some of the reviews from others who have read this book, I can understand how they thought it was confusing. It did have a lot of technical terms and was about a culture that most of us do not understand. However, I did not let that keep me from enjoying the story. Even with all the technical jargon, I found the book very enjoyable. In America, we are used to what we experience on a daily basis, and that is a means of comfort to us. Reading books like this one remind us that we are not the only culture in the universe, and that there is a different world out there than the one we know. I found myself applauding Lily Sampson as she searched to find truth and meaning throughout the story. As a woman archaeologist in a land full of men who typically don't view women as being able to have so much freedom, Lily sought to prove that she could do whatever a man could do. It was this motivation that helped to keep her alive during her many struggles throughout the book. This was very well-written, and I hope the technical language and culture shock doesn't dissuade people from reading an incredible book. ( )
  sealford | May 1, 2011 |
I recieved this book as part of the Member Giveaway program on LibraryThing.com. I enjoyed this book, however, there were a lot of technical terms and cultural terms that I didn't understand, which led to some difficulty i reading. Overall, it was an interesting plotline, and I will read more from this author.
  SarahTronson | Apr 1, 2011 |
I received this book through the members giveaway on Librarything. The books time period is 1943 and the story takes place in the Middle East. While on a pretense of being on an archeological dig, Lily and Gideon's guide is murdered and Gideon is thought to be the killer. The location names and peoples names were distracting to me in this book. It is a short book but the storyline wasn't all that interesting. ( )
  tanya2009 | Mar 18, 2011 |
The Scorpion's Bite by Aileen G. Baron is the third book in a series about Lily Sampson, an archaeologist and intelligence agent in the Trans-Jordan desert during World War II. When her Bedouin guide is murdered and her traveling companion accused of the crime she doesn't know who to trust or where to turn. Shortly after that she learns that her real mission is to protect the Trans-Jordan oil pipeline from being destroyed by the Nazis and simultaneously trying to destroy the oil pipeline supplying the Nazis. Sound confusing? Now add a plot to kill the 8 yr old king of Iraq and you can't keep anything straight.

There were just too many plots, murders, double agents, and betrayals for me to keep track of in this short mystery. I listened to it on audio and that probably didn't help. Still, I got so lost as to who was on what side that the book didn't make much sense to me in the end. I did like the characters. Lily in particular seems to be an appealing mix of strong and savvy, but still feminine and emotional. The landscape is beautifully described and I loved the few archaeological parts. I had not read the first books in the series, so maybe I will go back and start at the beginning.

Again, I listened to this book on audio. It may be that it is just too densely packed with action to listen to without losing some of the detail. Kirsten Potter reads the book. Its hard to accurately critique her reading given how I felt about the book, but I thought she did a good job of bringing Lily's character out. ( )
  frisbeesage | Nov 7, 2010 |
From My Blog...
A beautifully descriptive and mysterious novel, The Scorpion's Bite by Aileen G. Barron is a definite page-turner. WWII is waging on when two archeologists, Gideon Weil and Lily Samson, along with photographer Klaus Steiner set out on an archeological mission from the OSS to survey Trans-Jordan, or so they are lead to believe. Then one morning their Bedouin guide, Qasim ibn Achmad disappears, later to be found murdered and even though Gideon has an airtight alibi, he is arrested. Lily is sheltered and lead through the Nabtean lands by various kind Bedouins to Petra where she is to meet with Colonel John Glubb and learn of her next directive. Gideon, Klaus and Lily are in for more than they bargained for and their very lives may be at stake and the killers have followed them to Azraq but to say more would give the entire novel away. Dr. Barren writes a compelling historical mystery with such extraordinary detail one feels as though one is beside Lily in the desert. The characters, good and evil, are wonderfully detailed, portrayed and realistic in a plot that will keep the reader thoroughly engaged until the last word is read. I highly recommend The Scorpion's Bite to anyone who is interested in history, WWII, archeology, or merely intrigued by an excellent mystery novel. ( )
  knittingmomof3 | May 14, 2010 |
The Scorpion's Bite takes place in the turbulent year of 1943, when the world is very much engaged in war. The place is the eerie and vast Trans-Jordanian desert - where Lawrence of Arabia once roamed and ruins are left behind from an empire once ruled by the ancient Nabateans.

It is 1943 and the world is at war. Archaeologist Lily Sampson has been sent to Trans-Jordan, by the OSS, along with Gideon Weil, the famous director of the American School of Archeology in Jerusalem. As part of their survey, they roam the beautiful, silent, Trans-Jordanian desert where the indelible presence of Lawrence of Arabia still lingers, and where the ancient Nabateans once ruled an empire from their capital in Petra. Soon Lily and Gideon are stranded in the Wadi Rum, and their Bedouin guide is murdered. When Gideon is accused of the crime, Lily must clear him of the accusation. Lily discovers that two oil pipelines run from Iraq through the desert to the ports on Mediterranean, one through one through Trans-Jordan that supplies the Allies, the other through Syria that supplies the Nazis. Syrians and Vichy French are raiding across the border, threatening to destroy the Trans-Jordan pipeline. Lily discovers their real mission is to help safeguard the Trans-Jordan pipeline and to prevent oil from reaching the Nazis through Syria. At the same time Lily learns of a Nazi plot to kidnap and kill the eight-year old King Faisal of Iraq and take over Iraq. Now, Lily and Gideon must act to protect the Trans-Jordan pipeline, sabotage the Syrian line, and rescue Faisal to prevent the Nazi takeover of Iraq.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,506,621 books! | Top bar: Always visible