Radical: Taking Back Your Faith from the…

Radical: Taking Back Your Faith from the American Dream (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Platt David (Author)

Examines the ways in which the gospel is contradicted by the American dream and challenges Christians to join in a one-year experiment in authentic discipleship that promises spiritual transformation through the word of God.
Member:JasonHo
Title:Radical: Taking Back Your Faith from the American Dream
Authors:Platt David (Author)
Info:Random House USA (2010), Edition: 1, 240 pages

Radical: Taking Back Your Faith from the American Dream by David Platt (2010)

Very, very good!! ( )
  3jillsmom | Dec 30, 2020 |
Most of the book is difficult to read, not because of the language, but the content really hits home. It was a great book on establishing how we have "Americanized" Jesus and this book sets us right. I think he does go to extremes on the mission work (though it is incredibly important) but that is the reason is wasn't a full-five stars. In truth, I wish I could have given it 4.5 stars. Really good book. ( )
  cgfaulknerog | May 28, 2020 |
This book was a real eye-opener as to how my family thought about and spent our money. It amazes me to think about how much my family spends on trivial things each year, when millions of people are homeless, hungry, and in need. If we spend our lives comparing ourselves to the American dream instead of making Christ our mark to which to measure our success by, then we aren't living the Christian life in the way Christ wanted us to. Absolutely loved this book. ( )
  BookishHooker | Dec 16, 2019 |
What is Jesus worth to you?

It's easy for American Christians to forget how Jesus said his followers would actually live, what their new lifestyle would actually look like. They would, he said, leave behind security, money, convenience, even family for him. They would abandon everything for the gospel. They would take up their crosses daily...

But who do you know who lives like that? Do you?

In Radical, David Platt challenges you to consider with an open heart how we have manipulated the gospel to fit our cultural preferences. He shows what Jesus actually said about being his disciple--then invites you to believe and obey what you have heard. And he tells the dramatic story of what is happening as a "successful" suburban church decides to get serious about the gospel according to Jesus.

Finally, he urges you to join in The Radical Experiment--a one-year journey in authentic discipleship that will transform how you live in a world that desperately needs the Good News Jesus came to bring.
  OCMCCP | Jan 15, 2018 |
To Heather, my beautiful bride and best friend
"The youngest megachurch pastor in history."

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

David Platt's book Radical was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,471,257 books! | Top bar: Always visible