Breaking Night: A Memoir of Forgiveness,…

by Liz Murray

The memoir of a young woman who at age 15 was living on the streets but survived to make it to Harvard. Murray's story was featured in the Lifetime Original Movie "Homeless to Harvard."
Member:lauralkeet
Title:Breaking Night: A Memoir of Forgiveness, Survival, and My Journey from Homeless to Harvard
Authors:Liz Murray
Info:Hyperion (2010), Hardcover, 352 pages
Collections:Removed from Library, North American
Rating:***
Tags:read in 2010, nonfiction, memoir, donated, american authors, woman authors, early reviewer

Breaking Night: A Memoir of Forgiveness, Survival, and My Journey from Homeless to Harvard by Liz Murray

If you like stories of despair to triumph (and I do) you will like this book. Once again I wonder how people manage to escape from a life of poverty and come out shinning. Recommended ( )
  janismack | Oct 22, 2019 |
Wow, this might just be the best memoir I’ve ever read. Yes, the story is compelling and Liz Murray keeps you turning pages as she unfolds the incredible details of her trials and tribulations growing up in the Bronx, the daughter of drug addicts, with very little hope in life. But more than that, she is a fighter who picked up the very scattered pieces at age 16 and turned her life around. I found Murray’s writing style to be engaging and thoughtful while baring some hard-to-read parts of her soul. The conversation at the end of the book was interesting as well. My only wish would have been for some pictures of Liz’s family (they honestly probably didn’t have any) and friends. Otherwise, 5 very polished stars. Well done, Liz Murray!! ( )
  LizBurkhart | Sep 5, 2019 |
Love love loved this book! I thought I had to go through some crazy hurdles to overcome my obstacles in life but it was nothing like what Liz went through. I love memoirs and this one is at the top of my lost for sure. Keep sharing your story! ( )
  LibraryLady14 | Jan 24, 2019 |
Wonderful story of resilience but needed quite a bit more editing! ( )
  kmhoy | Jul 25, 2017 |
Liz was brought up by drug addicted parents. They lived in a filthy apartment. Liz, herself, was filthy. She was picked on in school, and began to stay home as a result.

Read her story about how she survived and how she got her life turned around and made it into Harvard.

Very inspiring. ( )
  jenn88 | Apr 25, 2017 |
I have just one picture left of my mother.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Liz Murray's book Breaking Night was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Hyperion and Voice

2 editions of this book were published by Hyperion and Voice.

Editions: 0786868910, 1401310591

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,244,171 books! | Top bar: Always visible