Fables: Werewolves of the Heartland by Bill…

Fables: Werewolves of the Heartland (edition 2013)

by Bill Willingham (Author)

Series: Bill Willingham's Fables (Spin-off), Fables 2002-2015 (Graphic novel)

3212064,109 (3.49)22
Bigby Wolf embarks on a quest through the American Heartland to find a new location for Fabletown, a secret society of exiled fairy tale characters living among the "mundys." In his wanderings, Bigby stumbles across Story City, a small town that seems to be occupied solely by werewolves. Oddly enough, they seem to already know and revere Bigby, but at the same time they've captured and caged him.… (more)
Member:bebopfirefly
Title:Fables: Werewolves of the Heartland
Authors:Bill Willingham (Author)
Info:Vertigo (2013), 152 pages

Work Information

Fables: Werewolves of the Heartland by Bill Willingham (Author)

Solid addition to the series. Bigby's one of my favorite characters and this was a fun little sidestory. ( )
  Cerestheories | Nov 8, 2021 |
Another side story (there are only a few of these), digging a bit deeper into Bigby's past, specifically during World War II (which we'd already seen) and some of the unforseen fallout from that.

Because of course there's a town full of secret Naziish Werewolves in the middle of America. Of course.

And of course they worship Bigby (THE Big Bad Wolf himself) as a god.

It's a solid story and a nice interlude, although the timing of the story (while the Mr. Dark plotline is still going on) is a bit strange.

Also, so very much nudity. Naked werewolves are quite a bit more ... naked when they're in a visual medium such as a graphic novel. Sometimes furry, sometimes not. You have been warned.

One random fun comment, I really did love the the 'how the story came to be' quote at the end:

I stopped in at the Happy Chef Restaurent, on Board Street, found a nice table, and ordered an open-faced turkey sandwich, a Coke and a sotry.

"Excuse me?" the waitress said.

I repeated my order.

"A story?" she said. "I don't understand."

"Isn't this Story City?" I said. "So, along with lunch, I'll be wanting my story."

"Oh," she said. Then, after an extended pause, "No one's ever asked that before."

Our enjoyable back and forth banter went on for a spell, until the Happy Chef's manager explain that Story City was so named not because was a near magical place of wonderful stories for the asking, but after the famous Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1779-1845. Of course, I should've thought of that.

I love it. And you know what, there's a whole mine of story seeds right there. Perhaps it isn't a town full of werewolves, but somehow otherly magical all on it's own! ( )
  jpv0 | Jul 21, 2021 |
The legend of the creation of werewolves is finally explained in this offshoot of the Fables series, and actually in a way that makes sense. I won't ruin the surprise, but obviously it involves Bigby, and as per the rules, he has to go fix the community that they created in America. I highly doubt that this threat tactics will work in the long run (the wolf-mind is one that will always challenge authority), but his visit to Story City introduced us to a few interesting characters. I'm sure we'll see more of Oda (the rebellious young werewolf who just so happens to have some precognitive powers), and possibly her brother Alwin as well (since he was named the new leader of Story City). ( )
  JaimieRiella | Feb 25, 2021 |
I read this book back in September but have been putting off reviewing it since then. Originally, it was due to the fact I thought I already had reviewed it. I expressed my opinion of it to Jonas, after all, and likely to several others (I think I mentioned it to Sharon in passing, as she was playing The Wolf Among Us then). Since I was talking about it so often, hadn't I reviewed it?

Apparently not.

Once I discovered my mistake I began putting it off for an entirely different reason. Namely, the fact that this book was remarkably unimpressive.

I'm a big fan of the Fables series. I read through the books up to the most recently published Deluxe edition each year, and have played the Tell Tale game. Intermittently I'm one of those people obsessively checking for the rumors of a sequel. I read through the comics faithfully enough to have won the first-reads edition of [b: The Wolf Among Us|23784080|Fables The Wolf Among Us #1|Matthew Sturges|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1418406313s/23784080.jpg|43399884] book - which was great, by the way. All of that meant little, however, when faced with this book. It's an anomaly of sorts. How could a [a: Bill Willingham|12444|Bill Willingham|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1347423972p2/12444.jpg] authored chapter in the Fables books be so, well, painful to get through?

There are two things that make comics work - a good plot, and good artwork. [b: Werewolves of the Heartland|7619569|Fables Werewolves of the Heartland|Bill Willingham|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1375405928s/7619569.jpg|10092138] had neither. The plot, while it did tie back to Bigby's WWII days and prove an interesting mystery, in the end went nowhere. It seemed as if the book was more of an excuse to have a massive werewolf fight than to actually be an intriguing mystery or further any sort of characterization of Bigby, or indeed, any other characters.

The artwork, on the other hand, seemed plainly sloppy. While I didn't mind the werewolf nudity, as other reviewers did, I did mind the lack of detailing in the characters overall. The book seemed hastily done, rather than the intricate artwork Fables nearly always has. The Arabian Nights Snow White story had better artwork than this, truly.

So, in essence, while this story has a decent idea at the heart of it the execution of exceptionally poor. It could have been more than a werewolf fight-fest, but it really wasn't. The action of the fight could have been more clearly rendered, the mystery could have been stronger... but it ultimately wasn't. An embarrassing hiccup in Fables history, this is best left only for completionists to read.

Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
My blog post about this book is at this link. ( )
  SuziQoregon | Mar 7, 2017 |

Willingham, BillAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dos Santos, DanielCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Farmer, Marksecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fern, JimIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hamilton, CraigIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Snyder, Raysecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Fables 2002-2015 (Graphic novel)

Belongs to Publisher Series

This book is lovingly dedicated to the actual residents of Story City, Iowa (as opposed to the entirely fictional versions portrayed here).

Sorry for the mess.

Searching for a new home for the Fables, Bigby Wolf discovers a small American town inhabited by werewolves with a connection to his past.

A #1 New York Times Best Seller!

At long last! The long-awaited original FABLES: WEREWOLVES OF THE HEARTLAND graphic novel is here!

FABLES: WEREWOLVES OF THE HEARTLAND tells an epic tale that began well before Bigby Wolf set foot in the bucolic plains of the Midwest. It began long ago when he served in World War II and became mired in a Nazi experiment that would change nations. It's soon evident that murder in Story City is the least of their sins, and unraveling the town's many mysteries may cost Bigby, the seventh son of the North Wind, much more than his own life.

This new hardcover is a must-have for any longtime FABLES fan, as well as a great entry point for new readers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,414,929 books! | Top bar: Always visible