A Game of Character: A Family Journey from…

A Game of Character: A Family Journey from Chicago's Southside to the…

by Craig Robinson

I am, admittedly, not a fan of our current president. I did not vote for him. I do not hold him in high esteem and I don't agree with most of his politics and ideals. So, when I was approached with the request to review a memoir written by the President's brother-in-law, I was a bit apprehensive that it would be an Obama love fest. I do like memoirs, however, so I agreed to review A Game of Character and I'm really glad I did.

Craig shares the story of his beloved parents, Fraser and Marian Robinson, and the manner in which they raised Craig and his sister Michelle. Fraser and Marian sound like ordinary, everyday people who managed to do extraordinary things. They weren't prosperous or wealthy, but they instilled family values and the importance of hard work into their children. They managed to send their children to Ivy League schools and supported and encouraged them in every activity. Fraser Robinson believed in the importance of a person's character and he passed that on to his children.

The Robinson/Obama family has a high opinion of itself, which is something that many highly successful people have. Understandably, Craig is very proud of his sister and brother-in-law. I appreciated that the political tones were simply because Barack Obama is part of his family and, therefore, the election and his being President of the United States is simply a part of their family life. Craig can't help that and he didn't use this book to preach about his brother-in-law's policies, which was refreshing.

Craig likens everything in the book to basketball. His writing style is very conversational and easy to read. The analogies, the lessons learned and the jargon are all basketball related. I like basketball and have a more than rudimentary understanding of it, but where the endless basketball analogies might annoy a non-sports fan, I think the lessons learned will resonate with everyone. ( )
  2kidsandtired | Aug 2, 2016 |

2kidsandtired | Aug 2, 2016 |

The eagerly anticipated inspirational memoir from Michelle Obama's brother, celebrating the extraordinary family members and mentors who have shaped his life.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,395,996 books! | Top bar: Always visible