Dawn on a Distant Shore by Sara Donati

Dawn on a Distant Shore (original 2000; edition 2000)

by Sara Donati (Author)

1,0262114,998 (4)21
In 1794, trying to free his father from a Canadian prison leads Nathanial Bonner and his wife Elizabeth on an unexpected adventure to Scotland and a destiny they had not imagined.
Member:SmithLibrarian
Title:Dawn on a Distant Shore
Authors:Sara Donati (Author)
Info:Bantam Books (2000)

Dawn on a Distant Shore by Sara Donati (2000)

English (20)  Spanish (1)  All languages (21)
In the midst of late 1700s political tensions, a series of events lead to Elizabeth and her family in Scotland engaging an earl.

Loved the political and historical narrative, but I found the plot a bit convoluted and farfetched (and I miss Paradise!). Then also, having spent fifty hours immersed in Kate Reading's narration of this series the past couple weeks, I'm thinking it's time to move on to some other fare and come back fresh and wanting more later. ( )
  pammab | Jan 23, 2021 |
one is just as good. There is lots of adventure and challenges for the main characters. And there are lots of new characters and challenges to keep the reader wanting for more. An Excellent Read! ( )
  bettysunflower | Sep 16, 2018 |
This book is the second in Sara Donati's Wilderness series - but little of it takes place in the wilderness of New York State in the late 1700s, unlike the first book.

Instead, this one has heroine Elizabeth Middleton Bonner and much of her family - increased by the birth of her twins Lily and Daniel at the beginning of the book - traveling to Canada (Montreal and Quebec) and ultimately by ship to Scotland.

The plot is rather far-fetched, and the brogues of SO many Scottish characters are hard to understand at times - although audiobook narrator Kate Reading helps. Still, it was interesting enough to keep me going with this series.

© Amanda Pape - 2016

[The e-audiobook, and a print copy for reference, were borrowed from and returned to public libraries.] ( )
1 vote riofriotex | Nov 3, 2016 |
Book 2 of the "Into the Wilderness" series - in reading some reviews it appears that some found this lengthy without content - I however enjoyed the continued escapades and near death experiences of the "Bonner Family Saga" - Nathaniel and Elizabeth now parents of more than just Hannah find themselves on an unplanned voyage to Scotland to lay claim to a family estate that is neither wanted or revered - The story ends with sadness and tragedy and with an interesting twist to continue into Book 3. As a true fan of "Outlander" it is NOT the same, worse or better...but finishing that series this series is interesting enough for me to continue on the journey with Elizabeth and Nathaniel. ( )
  booklovers2 | Jul 2, 2016 |
Wonderfully entertaining!! I love the vivid descriptions about the characters and scenery. Reading made me feel like I was experiencing the adventures first-hand!! ( )
  LeslieMitchell | Dec 17, 2015 |

Belongs to Series

She discovered with great delight that
one does not love one's children just because
they are one's children
but because of the friendship formed
while raising them.

--Gabriel García Marquez
For my daughter,
Elisabeth
In the middle of a blizzard in the second half of the hardest, snowiest winter anyone in Paradise could remember, Elizabeth Middleton Bonner, sweat soaked, naked, and adrift in burning pain, wondered if she might just die of the heat.

Sara Donati is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,361,237 books! | Top bar: Always visible