How to Cook Everything Vegetarian: Simple…

How to Cook Everything Vegetarian: Simple Meatless Recipes for Great Food (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Mark Bittman, Alan Witschonke (Illustrator)

A definitive, one-stop vegetarian cookbook showcases more than two thousand different recipes and variations for simple meatless meals, including salads, soups, eggs and dairy, vegetables and fruit, pasta, grains, legumes, tofu and other meat substitutes.
Member:AllergyMom
Title:How to Cook Everything Vegetarian: Simple Meatless Recipes for Great Food
Authors:Mark Bittman
Other authors:Alan Witschonke (Illustrator)
Info:Wiley (2007), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 1008 pages

Work Information

How to Cook Everything: Vegetarian by Mark Bittman (2007)

English (26)  Dutch (1)  All languages (27)
OK, I didn't exactly 'read' this - as it's a cookbook, I basically scoured it for ideas, recipes, and solutions. Still, it's such a massive tome (900 pages), that I had to renew it from the library to allow myself time to really spend quality time with it.

They cover the waterfront with this one - every conceivable dish and method. My only complaint, and it is an admittedly petty one - is that I like cookbooks with pictures. When it comes to cooking, I kinda like to see what it might look like when I'm done - or what it should've looked like, rather.

Still, lots of good info here. The book is vegetarian, not vegan, so items like cheese and eggs recur throughout the book. Not a problem for me, because asking me to go without cheese is like asking Amy Winehouse to forgo the bourbon. ( )
  TommyHousworth | Feb 5, 2022 |
This is my new bible. I usually don't buy books but this one is so immense and helpful that I must have it at all times. There's a whole section on grilling fruit! ( )
  readingjag | Nov 29, 2021 |
I liked the descriptions of specific ingredients and how to shop for them. ( )
  Tosta | Jul 5, 2021 |
This is one of my go-to cookbooks. I can always find something delicious. Bittman is great on flavor and offering variations. This book empowers home chefs to experiment by teaching how flavors work together.

One caveat: recipes often rely on other recipes. So, read the recipes and directions carefully. More than once I've thought I had a quick meal in front of me only to realize that it required incorporating a longer recipe from elsewhere in the book.
  megbmore | Dec 7, 2020 |
The title says it all, teaches technique and ideas more than recipes, excellent reference for vegetarian cooking. ( )
  RekhainBC | Feb 15, 2019 |

Mark Bittmanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Witschonke, AlanIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,572,932 books! | Top bar: Always visible